improving fps

I used to play on and AMD FX-8350, recently upgraded to an i7-6700k frame rate went up, but still hit those big lows like 15fps during events, my 8350 would get around 10-12fps during a similar event, the main difference I found with the intel switch is that even though I had low frames, I had smoother play, less choppy movements and animations. Would be interested in hearing someone using a Ryzen CPU perspective.

@Scarlett.1605 said:I used to play on and AMD FX-8350, recently upgraded to an i7-6700k frame rate went up, but still hit those big lows like 15fps during events, my 8350 would get around 10-12fps during a similar event, the main difference I found with the intel switch is that even though I had low frames, I had smoother play, less choppy movements and animations. Would be interested in hearing someone using a Ryzen CPU perspective.

You would have been better off spending that money on a proper GPU.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@Scarlett.1605 said:I used to play on and AMD FX-8350, recently upgraded to an i7-6700k frame rate went up, but still hit those big lows like 15fps during events, my 8350 would get around 10-12fps during a similar event, the main difference I found with the intel switch is that even though I had low frames, I had smoother play, less choppy movements and animations. Would be interested in hearing someone using a Ryzen CPU perspective.

Sadly, in GW2 the CPU does about 85-90% of the work load.

@ Scarlett.1605

Ryzen 1600X, 16GB DDR4 @ 3000, RX 470 -- Ultra Settings, in 4K w/ vertical sync on

I get 50-60FPS most of the time, dips to about 15-25 during zergs. Stay in the 25-35 range on most PoF maps. 15-26 @ the Bone Wall in Istan.

GW2, just like other MMOs, it turns to poops when there are too many moving objects around you... it needs faster single core CPU speed

so.........get a 8700K, delid it, pour liquid metal over it, overvolt it to 5.4GHz @ v1.4+ and cross your fingers that...

1. it doesnt blow up
  2. you won the silicon lottery
  3. your electricity bill doesn't increase by 2 folds

@moonstarmac.4603 said:Sadly, in GW2 the CPU does about 85-90% of the work load.

it seems like since PoF, GW2 starts to use quite a lot GPU now with the environment renderingused to run at average 54% load at my optimised settings with ASUS GTX780 DIRECTCU II OC, (and was ~2fps difference against EVGA 980Ti Hybrid, before the card was RMA) now it is constantly hitting 100% load with the same settings

Following is my GPU load when testing against each settings individually, based on GIGABYTE AUROS GTX1080Ti

• Reflection = GPUNone = 36% (-14%)Terrian & Sky = 50% (bench)All = 68% (+18%)
  • Texture = GPULow = 22% (-3%)Medium = 25% (bench)High = 34% (+9%)
  • Render Sampling = GPUSubsample = 18% (-16%)Native = 34% (bench)Supersample = 34% (0%)

note: I only list the above 3 settings because these are the 3 settings I found most variations in GPU load on the 1080Ti

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

Have that too, running GTX 1080 going to be in this rig for awhile hehe

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@moonstarmac.4603 said:Sadly, in GW2 the CPU does about 85-90% of the work load.

it seems like since PoF, GW2 starts to use quite a lot GPU now with the environment renderingused to run at average 54% load at my optimised settings with ASUS GTX780 DIRECTCU II OC, (and was ~2fps difference against EVGA 980Ti Hybrid, before the card was RMA) now it is constantly hitting 100% load with the same settings

Following is my GPU load when testing against each settings individually, based on GIGABYTE AUROS GTX1080Ti
  • Reflection = GPUNone = 36% (-14%)Terrian & Sky = 50% (bench)All = 68% (+18%)
  • Texture = GPULow = 22% (-3%)Medium = 25% (bench)High = 34% (+9%)
  • Render Sampling = GPUSubsample = 18% (-16%)Native = 34% (bench)Supersample = 34% (0%)

note: I only list the above 3 settings because these are the 3 settings I found most variations in GPU load on the 1080Ti

That's a good start then. I know RX 470 works well with my Ryzen 1600X and I can play the game with decent FPS in 4k.

It is possible to run GW2 decently on an A4 with integrated graphics if your willing to give up some quality. Both of my daughters have A4's (5300 I think) with an integrated GPU and 6GBs of RAM and it's very playable. Aside from lowering the graphic settings they also run at 1024x768 which is what really helps the frame rate. TBH, I couldn't play at that resolution but they don't seem to mind at all. They both do WBs and one bought PoF and hasn't had much trouble with frame rates in the desert, though she's only been through the oasis, highlands and riverlands.

EDIT: typo fix

@moonstarmac.4603 said:

@ Scarlett.1605

Ryzen 1600X, 16GB DDR4 @ 3000, RX 470 -- Ultra Settings, in 4K w/ vertical sync on

I get 50-60FPS most of the time, dips to about 15-25 during zergs. Stay in the 25-35 range on most PoF maps. 15-26 @ the Bone Wall in Istan.

Not when you are running integrated GPU and getting 15fps, at that point you are GPU limited.

@Scarlett.1605 said:

You have a 1080, or are getting one? If you are running a 1080 and getting 15fps, something is wrong with your setup. If you are getting 15fps on an integrated GPU, that is pretty normal.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@ Scarlett.1605

Not when you are running integrated GPU and getting 15fps, at that point you are GPU limited.

You have a 1080, or are getting one? If you are running a 1080 and getting 15fps, something is wrong with your setup. If you are getting 15fps on an integrated GPU, that is pretty normal.

Believe it or not, there are many players who pull 15FPS with higher end GPUs in Zergfests and World Boss encounters. Especially on core maps. The CPU to GPU optimization is still a major problem in this game, and most likely will continue to be for a long time. My FX6300 and R7 270 with 16GB of DDR3 would only get me up to 10FPS during those massive events.

Now outside of GW2 I pull even better FPS - Fallout 4 I pull around 75-100 always in 4K. Guild Wars 1 I pull over 150 at times. GW2, it never has and most likely never will play nice with every rig out there with the current engine.

• 2 weeks later...

@moonstarmac.4603 said:

@ Scarlett.1605

Believe it or not, there are many players who pull 15FPS with higher end GPUs in Zergfests and World Boss encounters. Especially on core maps. The CPU to GPU optimization is still a major problem in this game, and most likely will continue to be for a long time. My FX6300 and R7 270 with 16GB of DDR3 would only get me up to 10FPS during those massive events.

Now outside of GW2 I pull even better FPS - Fallout 4 I pull around 75-100 always in 4K. Guild Wars 1 I pull over 150 at times. GW2, it never has and most likely never will play nice with every rig out there with the current engine.

Neither the CPU, nor the GPU you mentioned are even on the same planet as "higher end". The FX line was a budget CPU with poor single threaded performance (still behind the VERY old i5 2500) where GW2 has a large demand. The R7 270 is a rebrand of the HD8860, a really, really old card, it's HALF the performance of the old mid range RX470. FPS and where the bottle neck happens depends on lots of factors, from player count to display resolution, the higher this is the more the bottle neck will be shifted to the GPU, in most cases however the bottle neck tends to be the CPU, as many people are still running 1080 monitors.

As someone who sees World Bosses and zerg vs zerg vs zerg in wvw, the worst I have seen being in the 40's. The rig they have and the CPU they have, should see well more than 15fps, assuming they have the 1080 they mentioned, and is why I asked if that was something they had, or planned on getting, because if they are playing on something lower, of the iGPU, that money would have seen a larger gain in FPS going into a GPU. you can't make an assumption on performance or what is the best value without knowing the system they are working with.

The R7 270 is a rebrand of the HD8860

Technically it's a rebrand of the 7870, the 8860 is almost the same but it was also a 7870 Rebrand and an OEM card(not sold separately).

it's HALF the performance of the old mid range RX470

The 270 is about 25% weaker in Firestrike, not quite half as bad.

Semantics aside, I agree with the rest of your post.

Considering all of that, the 270 isn't Moonstarmac's problem, the FX 6300 is.

• 2 months later...

It's true.GW2 doesnt' care about your GPU, but you need a "good" GPU... not a GPU for run The Witcher in Ultra 60fps... I recommend GTX 1050 Ti: it's cheap and run GW2 without any problem.About CPU, when I bought my i7 4790k years ago, I notice the difference clearly.

But, when you play an EVENTS or WvW you really need change your settings, because its impossible in the current GW2 engine to do the job of rendering all the characters + effects in one core with DX9, so:

• shadow: low
  • reflections: none
  • effect lod: checked
  • character limit: low
  • character quality: low
  • super sample: native

Doing that, with a i7 + 8gb RAM + 1050 Ti (for example), you get 30~50fps in any events/wvw.

Sorry for my terrible english.

Tip: SSD increase the load performance A LOT in GW2.

My current setup is: i7 4790k OC 4.7ghz, 16gb RAM DDR3 2400mhz, 960gb SSD RAID 0, GTX 1080 Ti Gigabyte Aorus Extreme Edition

Archived