[Dev] QoL on rifle....

Wargameur.6950

Hey,

It's been a while since I posted here. This is a question for a dev. I have been playing with rifle from times to times and one thing is really bothering me on that weapon.... We can't stay knelt and stow the damn thing away....

It is really annoying for several reasons including :

• Skill cancelling is not possible without getting up. Any reflective skill actually forces us to leave Kneel state.
  • I don't see why passive play should cost us initiative ( from 1 to 3 ) + time to replace ourselves.
  • I don't see why stop attacking should prevent us from getting those attack buffs from kneel state.
  • You can actually stop attacking using escape key, but are there really people using escape to do something else than open the menu window ?

I understand that in the current implementation, the kneel state is bound to the "in hand weapon" and stowing breaks this status. Is it really not possible to bound it to "active weapon" instead ?

Thanks,

@MUDse.7623 said:why dont you want to cancel your skills with esc?

Because it's too far away ^^ same reason why I rebinded almost all skills on mouse or closer keys.

if you stay in kneel when stowing, how does that allow you to reposition without ini use?

That's the other way around, rifle is not a really mobile weapon. Which mean that you want to fully benefit from kneel.

I will give you an example : Let's say you battle a warrior having a shield. He has that trait that gives him might on block. Let's say he comes to you using blocks and his block timing roughly finishes before close combat range. In the current way things are, you have to get up to avoid giving him might. By the time you get back to kneeling + aftercast he already closes on you. If you had a stow working properly, you just stop attacking and as he closes on you you get a clutch #2 on rifle which gives you just enough time to get a death's judgment at point blank range.

Here is another one : I'm well positioned over a team fight, I'm targeting a rev and he uses his heal. I have to get up, and get back on kneel if I want to stop attacking while keeping the focus on him....It is as if a ranger had to leave celestial avatar because he wanted to stop attacking, or an engi having to leave photon forge for the same reason. As far as I know they are not punished as we are.

you have plenty of examples where stopping attacking is the right thing to do. It shouldn't impact your ability to deal with certain situations. That's the kind of things that makes you win some fights, just like stowing at the right time in a d/p thief duel gives you the upper hand.

@Wargameur.6950 said:

@MUDse.7623 said:why dont you want to cancel your skills with esc?

Because it's too far away ^^ same reason why I rebinded almost all skills on mouse or closer keys.

if you stay in kneel when stowing, how does that allow you to reposition without ini use?

That's the other way around, rifle is not a really mobile weapon. Which mean that you want to fully benefit from kneel.

Rifle can be a very mobile weapon, it's actually great for kiting.. Although I guess it depends on the build you run and on where your focus lies. On-top of what the thief can bring in terms of escape utilities, a rifle thief can be a real good harasser. It's really fun actually.

Harassing only gets you so far though...

@TwiceDead.1963 said:Rifle can be a very mobile weapon, it's actually great for kiting.. Although I guess it depends on the build you run and on where your focus lies. On-top of what the thief can bring in terms of escape utilities, a rifle thief can be a real good harasser. It's really fun actually.

Harassing only gets you so far though...

Yes I know, best target for kitting is scourge. death's retreat does the job pretty well but it uses quite a lot of initiative and your damage drops by quite a bit.

Archived