New to thief, Viable builds for both WvW and sPvP?

Jay.3409

hey guys are there any thief build situable for 1v1in both wvw and spvp?

weap,build,etc..

or is it true that thief's main role is to help your teammate, to 2v1 the enemy and move onto the next capture point? how about for WvW, i hear that thief are great for solo ganking.. but are heard that their trash in 1v1... kind of defeats the purpose for solo ganking lol..

also can someone point me to a good streamer or youtuber that knows how to play thief well and excels at it... i wana learn combos and how he outplays his opponent and also for entertainment

ty

While metabattle is not always 100% up to date with builds, it is a good place to start as a new player to get some starter builds.

Thieves are also not trash in 1v1, if you are a good thief you will find that most matchups are winnable. There are some fights that are still very difficult (dagger/pistol vs DH, bunker builds, ranger if you are careless, etc), but thief is still one of the better ganker and 1v1 builds.

In PvP, you have less power and also don't have the luxury of time, thus your role is to quickly move between points and decap or quickly help burst down enemies before moving again.

Thief is the second strongest 1v1 behind Mirage. Both are ranked so because their stealth and spike abilities can pretty much control any fight outside of a couple of builds that are focused on anti-stealth, and only really have trouble taking out bunkery builds due to their sustain. The only reason people think their bad in 1v1 is the low margin of error. I've gone up against tons of thieves in WvW..... at best I can stymie a half way decent one, but I've only ever beaten the bad ones.... and only because of a lucky stun or reveal. Most of the time if the fight goes on for more then 20 seconds, they'll disengage and just tail me until I port out, or get enough cool downs back to do another ambush. Dare Devils have insane ambush damage, while Deadeyes can Stealth near indefinitely (and with melee)... Either makes for a strong choice if you can get a handle on all the stealth generation combos.

@starlinvf.1358 said:Thief is the second strongest 1v1 behind Mirage. Both are ranked so because their stealth and spike abilities can pretty much control any fight outside of a couple of builds that are focused on anti-stealth, and only really have trouble taking out bunkery builds due to their sustain. The only reason people think their bad in 1v1 is the low margin of error. I've gone up against tons of thieves in WvW..... at best I can stymie a half way decent one, but I've only ever beaten the bad ones.... and only because of a lucky stun or reveal. Most of the time if the fight goes on for more then 20 seconds, they'll disengage and just tail me until I port out, or get enough cool downs back to do another ambush. Dare Devils have insane ambush damage, while Deadeyes can Stealth near indefinitely (and with melee)... Either makes for a strong choice if you can get a handle on all the stealth generation combos.

This does not mean it is strong. It only means it is good at ganking / abusing game mechanics. <-- The reason why it is hated since the release of the game.

Thief is the most forgiving spec in the game if you just don't want to die. If you want to actually kill stuff on a regular basis, it is by far the worst.

This explains why it is easy to be useless in PvP on teef: You have to pull yourself out of the fight action too often leaving your teammates alone.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"starlinvf.1358" said:
Thief is the second strongest 1v1 behind Mirage.
Both are ranked so because their stealth and spike abilities can pretty much control any fight outside of a couple of builds that are focused on anti-stealth, and only really have trouble taking out bunkery builds due to their sustain. The only reason people think their bad in 1v1 is the low margin of error. I've gone up against tons of thieves in WvW..... at best I can stymie a half way decent one, but I've only ever beaten the bad ones.... and only because of a lucky stun or reveal.
Most of the time if the fight goes on for more then 20 seconds, they'll disengage and just tail me until I port out, or get enough cool downs back to do another ambush.
Dare Devils have insane ambush damage, while Deadeyes can Stealth near indefinitely (and with melee)... Either makes for a strong choice if you can get a handle on all the stealth generation combos.

This does not mean it is strong. It only means it is good at ganking / abusing game mechanics. <-- The reason why it is hated since the release of the game.

Thief is the most forgiving spec in the game if you just don't want to die. If you want to actually kill stuff on a regular basis, it is by far the worst.

This explains why it is easy to be useless in PvP on teef: You have to pull yourself out of the fight action too often leaving your teammates alone.

On the other hand, if we're talking about spvp, if you just get in there and die that's even worse than disengaging frequently. The first lesson for thief in pvp is "Stop dying!", rest of them are second. Cause most of the time when thief needs to diesngage too often is because the team they are playing with aren't creating good +1 oportunities for yhe thief, or are rotating bad or too slow. That is not considering thievs who choose their fights and rotations poorly, cause in those cases, more often than not the thief will not or not be able to disengage at all.

thanks for your guys input, i was told its better to start s/d core to get a feel of the class, so thats what i will do. Also does anyone know any good streamers/youtubers who mains thief and knows the class well? the ones i've been watching is vallun and shorts_gaming ( although his vids 1 month old in thief, their still pretty entertaining to watch )

They both are very good places to go learn about thief, but probably Sindrener is the best place to go learn the meta, also watch some hype matches of the top thief in gw2 spvp. 1month old vids are still pretty much up to date cause there haven't been that many changes since, if at all, and usually theif isn't much different as a whole or spvp role for beginners who just start to concern themselves with little tweaks.

Archived