Skimmer vs. springer mastery.

Engelsstaub.4356

After you level raptor to tier 3 there is a choice between skimmer and springer mastery. I completely didn't know what to take and took the skimmer. Now I discover that there are quite a few mastery insights that need a springer and can see none to require skimmer mastery.

So basically investing in skimmer is a waste or there is a use?

Springer is good on most map where the Skimmer is only really good with floor hazards. The thing being right now you want to run around on one of the other mounts and only bring those two out when you need them since, they are slower than the other two land mounts, and more restricted than the gliding mount.

Skimmer is very useful in Desolation for flying over all of the sulfur poison areas and not dying in 5 seconds to the poison gas effect. However, Springer is way more useful to obtaining mastery points and accessing content than the Skimmer is; also you can access the Jackal when you train Springer up to mastery level 3. Really the Skimmer is not really necessary beyond using it to reach a few mastery points. I trained my Raptor to 3, then my Springer to 3, and my Jackal to 3, and haven't trained my Skimmer yet.

Experience and mastery points are so plentiful that it is hardly a waste. I'm not even done with the story and neither do I have map completion on any of the first three maps, which is as far as I've gotten, and I nonetheless have rank 3 for the raptor, springer and skimmer i.e. the boosted special move rank.

That said, the springer is undeniably more useful than the skimmer so far, what with a lot of stuff being hidden high on top of something.

Springer is more useful immediately than Skimmer. Skimmer becomes insanely useful in areas dense with mobs when you have Jackal mastery 4. The hover allows you to evade attacks for a long time.

Skimmers are also very handy in maps that features a lot of floor hazards, or a lot of water (they have increased movement speed over water and ignore floor hazard damage).

Based purely on mastery collecting, Raptor to rank 3 first (compulsory any way), Springer to rank 3, Jackal to rank 3 and then Skimmer to rank 3*, however should Arenanet patch the ability to dismount the Skimmer to get on the raised rock to reach the Jackal, then you'll need to do the Skimmer before the Jackal.

*Possibly even leaving until very last should you have the Griffon by this point

Archived