Just getting back after a long break -- reworking my main.

jpg.1783

As the title says -- exploring the Guardian after a long absence. I've managed to unlock both Dragon Hunter and Firebrand after running Heart of Thorns story content. Haven't explored using a long bow for the DH -- and the current build don't actually use the Bow. (not to mention, I'm so used to rocking the Scepter)

I've gravitated towards the Firebrand more given it's more "balanced" and more interesting specialization mechanic. I've gone through Metabattle and while it's pretty straight forward in terms of builds in every game mode. I have a Berserker's Set that I can always fall back to for open world. I've tinkered with Magi for a bit, and I don't think it's going to be serviceable in solo content. I was hoping to discover other builds that don't necessary involve min/max stats -- hybrid builds are aren't that popular on mainstream content. Was hoping to get some ideas here from more experienced players.

What I'm looking at right now is trying to maximize both Healing and Condition damage for a sustainable type of Guardian. Again not to min / max but just to enjoy the range of utility that that the tomes and mantras can provide. Here is what I've been tinkering with so far.

I read up on Shaman's being trash in general but I think it fits Firebrand really well. I could be wrong about the stat combination but right now it answers one of the Guardian's struggles : low health pool. I was leaning towards Condition Damage given that I want to maximize the use of all tomes, and play around with the Axe skill bar which focuses on Bleeding and Burning. The skill bar is something I'm still working on but right now it's stuffed with Mantra for both offense , healing/ cleansing, and debuffs.

Hope to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

If you're talking open world FB, then Celestial is pretty much the way to go. You want to have at some of build based on power damage, due to there being enough enemies being immune to burning or capable of flipping conditions. Which in a solo fight, renders you incapable of fighting them given most of your damage is otherwise burning based.

As for utility skills, hands down the 2 best choices are Mantra of Lore and Mantra of Liberation. Lore is straight up condition cleanse, and is very reliable with its low cool down time. Liberation gives you access to up to 3 group stun breaks in a short period, or instant stab if you know how to time it. Filling the other slots depends on how you do the rest of your build. For open world I carry Mantra of Haste, since well timed bursts of Quickness increases FB performance for specific actions substantially. The last slot is a toss up between one of two signets (Bane or Wrath) or Wall of Reflection, depending on whats useful for particular fights. Spirit weapons are also worth considering if you need broader utility for various fights. Choice of healing skill is also dependent on what the rest of your build is doing. "Receive this Light" lands up being my default choice for its raw burst healing output.

For weapons Combinations of Axe, Focus, Scepter and Torch make your offensive set, while Axe/Shield or Staff are used for more defense/utility (which is good for reducing Pug death in big fights). GreatSword and Sword are also viable options, but Axe just scales the best with Permeating Wrath due to its double strike nature. The reason I don't bring up mace, is because its designed to pair with bunker type builds in sustained fights.... basically expects you to stand there, near immobile. Hammer is more of a Niche weapon, and is something you normally plan a build around.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAneWn8ABFBjVCBOCDkCjlACLbI8gmQ7R0LaH1KA8AeTA-jBiAAB4rHANlfmq+DkKBB4BA0/RA0EswJAQ6DBAA-e

I purposely left Runes empty, because I have to get the whole thing updated for the Rune changes. I used to run Durability runes for the toughness and boon duration, since I run that guard in WvW.... but there may be better choices with the revamp, and just haven't had time to look all of them over.

I think your reading has lead you astray. If I was to build with the intention of heavy Tome's rotation, Shaman with a mix of Vipers/Zealot would be very appropriate. That sort of mix would balance your healing power, condition and Vitality out quite nicely IMO.

Before you jump off the deep end, you might consider that you don't even really need healing power that much anyways because if you go into any tome, you're going to typically spam all the skills in it to exhaust your use anyways; What I have done is mix Vipers with a small amount of Valkryie or Maruaders. I find I'm not lacking healing. I'm also using Legendary Lore as a trait.

@Obtena.7952 said:I think your reading has lead you astray. If I was to build with the intention of heavy Tome's rotation, Shaman with a mix of Vipers/Zealot would be very appropriate. That sort of mix would balance your healing power, condition and Vitality out quite nicely IMO.

Before you jump off the deep end, you might consider that you don't even really need healing power that much anyways because if you go into any tome, you're going to typically spam all the skills in it to exhaust your use anyways; What I have done is mix Vipers with a small amount of Valkryie or Maruaders. I find I'm not lacking healing. I'm also using Legendary Lore as a trait.

Do you use the same build for Dungeons and Fractals, or even Raids? (Although I haven't even tried doing Raids ever since they were introduced.) I was hoping to invest in something the can run across different content. Building a secondary set of gear is not much trouble but I'd like to to keep my inventory as empty as possible. :#

So to be honest, I don't raid or do fractals with Guardian; I think most people looking to play FB are going to still play a pretty heavy offensive build, so healing power is likely avoided by them. I still see value in a little more Vitality though.

Dungeons ... well, you can do those with any heavily offensive build anymore; for me that would be core Guardian. I wouldn't use FB in Dungeons because I just don't like how it works. No reason it can't be used though.

@Obtena.7952 said:So to be honest, I don't raid or do fractals with Guardian; I think most people looking to play FB are going to still play a pretty heavy offensive build, so healing power is likely avoided by them. I still see value in a little more Vitality though.

Dungeons ... well, you can do those with any heavily offensive build anymore; for me that would be core Guardian. I wouldn't use FB in Dungeons because I just don't like how it works. No reason it can't be used though.

Dang, blew some money getting exotic Magi Gear (it's the only unique meta in the sea of Berserker's and Viper's) -- I have it mixed it with Berserker's Weapon and Accessories. It's doing okay in open world but now it makes me think if I'll ever use it to play support on occasion or just scrap the idea also and just build a Tanky DPS loadout. Guess I have lots more to learn to get back up on GW2 horse.

Archived