Forum code and quoting

Neural.1824

If you quote someone, the forum code usually puts their user name after an @ symbol and in quotes followed by "said:", and uses the greater-than sign ">" to tell the system what goes inside the quote blocks.Does the initial @username part have to be in a specific format, or can it be free-handed? (Yah, I know, I could test that here, but this isn't my forum, and I don't want to potentially cause any cascading issues, even though it's very unlikely to happen)

@Neural.1824 said:If you quote someone, the forum code usually puts their user name after an @ symbol and in quotes followed by "said:", and uses the greater-than sign ">" to tell the system what goes inside the quote blocks.Does the initial @username part have to be in a specific format, or can it be free-handed? (Yah, I know, I could test that here, but this isn't my forum, and I don't want to potentially cause any cascading issues, even though it's very unlikely to happen)

You could type it out (more below), but it's easier imo just to type the 'at' symbol and begin the userID; then the forum will allow you to arrow-tab-choose the appropriate name using semi-predictive text.

Some syntax notes:

• @username won't work; it has to include the .1234 four digit code
  • @use me.1234 won't work either, because the forum has trouble with spaces, so put the name in quotes (after the at symbol), e.g. @"use me.1234"

Archived