Big ele buff idea

ROMANG.1903

I just had a thought, literally a few seconds ago. I didn't think of it too mutch or anything so it's probably very flawed but I wanted to leave it there nonetheless.

What if the ele had auras permanently, depending on their attunement? Of course these auras would need some tuning (shock and magnetic auras, mainly). The aura detonation skills would consume these auras and disable them for the duration of the cooldown. It would give more personnality and specific niches to each attunement, make detonation skills feel less clunky and better integrated in the overall gameplay... And it would be a big buff to the core ele, without increasing the DPS output. In others words, it would be a significant buff which has been asked for a long time, but wouldn't make the ele overpowered in raids and fractals.

Also their particle effects would need to be tuned down and disabled when out of combat.

So it sounds like if I attune to a certain element, I get a certain aura indefinitely until I either switch attunements or I detonate the aura. For Fire and Water, that's a not bad buff. You gain might or have -10% damage reduction. For air and Earth, that will be too overpowered. Air Aura has the ability to stun lock opponents and Earth Aura is reflecting projectiles which is too strong for a long period of time.To fix that you'll have to change the mechanic of the aura's, but that will go into a whole process since Aura's is not just an Ele ability. Instead, if you had a trait in core traitlines that allows this ability, you could kinda play around with the benefits. Maybe tone down Air and Earth to grant boons instead of their overpowered mechanics. Who knows.

EDIT: I never liked Fire's grandmaster traits. You could replace one of them with this idea, where you create auras on attunement swap. It'll go with the new update of detonating auras for cleanse. It could even blend with tempest for a more offensive Tempest instead of support. That way, the grandmaster creates LESSER aura's which will fix your OP (Air & Earth) problem. Now, Air and Earth can create boons like fury and protection upon getting hit. Kinda like Fire aura. This way you still create auras, which still can be detonated, but the auras are not overpowered cause they are lesser auras.Fury and Protection are just ideas. They can be switched for anything else. Maybe even stability.

@Stallic.2397 said:So it sounds like if I attune to a certain element, I get a certain aura indefinitely until I either switch attunements or I detonate the aura. For Fire and Water, that's a not bad buff. You gain might or have -10% damage reduction. For air and Earth, that will be too overpowered. Air Aura has the ability to stun lock opponents and Earth Aura is reflecting projectiles which is too strong for a long period of time.To fix that you'll have to change the mechanic of the aura's, but that will go into a whole process since Aura's is not just an Ele ability. Instead, if you had a trait in core traitlines that allows this ability, you could kinda play around with the benefits. Maybe tone down Air and Earth to grant boons instead of their overpowered mechanics. Who knows.

EDIT: I never liked Fire's grandmaster traits. You could replace one of them with this idea, where you create auras on attunement swap. It'll go with the new update of detonating auras for cleanse. It could even blend with tempest for a more offensive Tempest instead of support. That way, the grandmaster creates LESSER aura's which will fix your OP (Air & Earth) problem. Now, Air and Earth can create boons like fury and protection upon getting hit. Kinda like Fire aura. This way you still create auras, which still can be detonated, but the auras are not overpowered cause they are lesser auras.Fury and Protection are just ideas. They can be switched for anything else. Maybe even stability.

Since Earth and Shock auras aren't generated by any other class than ele (unless I'm mistaken?) I don't see nerfing them as a problem

@ROMANG.1903 said:

@Stallic.2397 said:So it sounds like if I attune to a certain element, I get a certain aura indefinitely until I either switch attunements or I detonate the aura. For Fire and Water, that's a not bad buff. You gain might or have -10% damage reduction. For air and Earth, that will be too overpowered. Air Aura has the ability to stun lock opponents and Earth Aura is reflecting projectiles which is too strong for a long period of time.To fix that you'll have to change the mechanic of the aura's, but that will go into a whole process since Aura's is not just an Ele ability. Instead, if you had a trait in core traitlines that allows this ability, you could kinda play around with the benefits. Maybe tone down Air and Earth to grant boons instead of their overpowered mechanics. Who knows.

Since Earth and Shock auras aren't generated by any other class than ele (unless I'm mistaken?) I don't see nerfing them as a problem

Earth rune is very popular in pvp right now solely because of the projectile hate earth aura gives. There used to be complaints in pvp forums that Earth rune is too op, even though it only procs every 60 sec. Lol

But now that I think about it, having magnetic aura upon switching attunements sounds quite similar to having Stone Heart, where you can't be crit against while in Earth. It's not a bad trait, but you have to spec a grandmaster to get it. So if Magnetic and Shock aura won't be changed, then it'll at least have to be a grandmaster trait.

@Stallic.2397 said:

Earth rune is very popular in pvp right now solely because of the projectile hate earth aura gives. There used to be complaints in pvp forums that Earth rune is too op, even though it only procs every 60 sec. Lol

But now that I think about it, having magnetic aura upon switching attunements sounds quite similar to having Stone Heart, where you can't be crit against while in Earth. It's not a bad trait, but you have to spec a grandmaster to get it. So if Magnetic and Shock aura won't be changed, then it'll at least have to be a grandmaster trait.

I'd say that in the same way that Stone Heart sounds very powerful but really isn't that mutch because you need to stay in Earth attunement, having a permanent magnetic aura would require you to stay in that attunement. An attunement in which you can't really do anything aside from combo finishers.

The only thing I see even if this buff wouldn't accompany any nerfs is why would I ever attune to attunements I haven't spec'd for and get nothing out of the trait lines just to get an aura, that has ICD or lacking effects (except earth maybe). Also, it's a class that dies from 1-2 crit hits, so auras are useless on ele because they encourage you to get hit I would say it's a buff if we had traits that reward you for Auras, like gain x% damage when under effect of 'y' Aura, or you receive less damage when 'z' is up, etc. If these sorts of traits ever existed on ele then there would've been use of auras when this buff hits live servers. Also, if there's a utility that provides boons based on the current Aura/attunement, a glyph maybe other than the useless ones existing now, then your idea would've been great because now ele can gain boons beside the bonuses from the traits, not by pressing one button like others, but they have to sacrifice their skills to attune to something else so that they get a boon from so called utility and to also gain an aura and trait bonus. Maybe put in another glyph that transmutes Auras instead of the current transmutation ways that require specific elements with specific weapons as well.

Without these changes, the current situation won't encourage swapping attunements even with 100% aura uptime, because there are no bonuses or boons accompanied with them.

@Auburner.6945 said:The only thing I see even if this buff wouldn't accompany any nerfs is why would I ever attune to attunements I haven't spec'd for and get nothing out of the trait lines just to get an aura, that has ICD or lacking effects (except earth maybe). Also, it's a class that dies from 1-2 crit hits, so auras are useless on ele because they encourage you to get hit I would say it's a buff if we had traits that reward you for Auras, like gain x% damage when under effect of 'y' Aura, or you receive less damage when 'z' is up, etc. If these sorts of traits ever existed on ele then there would've been use of auras when this buff hits live servers. Also, if there's a utility that provides boons based on the current Aura/attunement, a glyph maybe other than the useless ones existing now, then your idea would've been great because now ele can gain boons beside the bonuses from the traits, not by pressing one button like others, but they have to sacrifice their skills to attune to something else so that they get a boon from so called utility and to also gain an aura and trait bonus. Maybe put in another glyph that transmutes Auras instead of the current transmutation ways that require specific elements with specific weapons as well.

Without these changes, the current situation won't encourage swapping attunements even with 100% aura uptime, because there are no bonuses or boons accompanied with them.

Yes the class dies easily. So what? No one is able of dodging absolutely everything all the time, so a permanent aura is still useful. And by your logic, having auras, permanent or not, encourage you to get hit, so you're not against permanent auras, you're against auras in general.

Archived