Black Screening — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Black Screening

Good Evenin All,

Not to sure whats causing it, but my game has been going.. black, the entire screen goes black. I can move, attack and i hear sound, but i cant see anything. No menus load, i have to close the window and kill the program. its -only- happening in Grothmar Valley too, no other map in the game is doing this for me. I thought it was discord but it happened without discord even running, so that went out the window.

I doubt its a video problem due to it only happening on this one map, unless its a side effect of the new(im assuming, given how this map seems to glow everywhere) lighting used.

Amana Silentchild; My Main
Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
Why GW is Called Guildwars

Comments

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2019

Are you sure that it's not Discord? The Overlay can run without its chat program being open. You need to explicitly deactivate it.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    Are you sure that it's not Discord? The Overlay can run without its chat program being open. You need to explicitly deactivate it.

Yup thats what i mean, i had discord completely closed out and it still happened!

• Notjes.7182Notjes.7182 Member ✭✭
    edited October 6, 2019

I experienced it yesterday and just now for the second time. It is like a starting cut scene but the screen stays black.
    I have only arcdps installed, no overlays.

@Notjes.7182 said:
    I experienced it yesterday and just now for the second time. It is like a starting cut scene but the screen stays black.

there we go, the perfect description of what it actually looks like.

edited October 6, 2019

@Notjes.7182 said:

Have you tried not using ArcDPS, as that is an overlay as well?

@Dante.1763 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

Yup thats what i mean, i had discord completely closed out and it still happened!

As I said, it can be closed and the overlay can still be active, from what I've heard. Launch Discord and deactivate the overlay.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Notjes.7182 said:

Have you tried not using ArcDPS, as that is an overlay as well?

@Dante.1763 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

As I said, it can be closed and the overlay can still be active, from what I've heard. Launch Discord and deactivate the overlay.

No. I had discord completely shut off, the program that is known as discord wasnt even running. Also this is an issue that goes all the way back to 2017(according to another post in the Technical issues page). It also just happened in Orr, so not limited to the new map like i thought.

I am quite certain it is an overlay issue. But since you refuse to try any of my suggestions, I wish you good luck.

• Heibi.4251Heibi.4251 Member ✭✭✭

Not an overlay issue. I don't use overlays and it was happening quite frequently the other day. The screen would go black, but I'd have sound and the in-game cursor. I always had to close out the game via close window function. I can go an entire day without it happening and then I get spurts of every 10-20 minutes a black screen event.

Henge of Denravi Commander
    CA/CH/HOD/AIR

edited October 7, 2019

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    I am quite certain it is an overlay issue. But since you refuse to try any of my suggestions, I wish you good luck.

Couple things.
    1.) If discord as i stated is never started, there can be no overlay as the program is not running.(the program HAS to be running for there to be an overlay, how is that hard to understand?)

2.) I have already completely closed out discord to see if that was the issue. It wasnt. REGARDLESS OF IF DISCORD WAS RUNNING OR NOT I AM HAVING THIS ISSUE.

3.) The sass, not needed. ive already stated multiple times that i ran GW2 without having Discord running at all, youve ignored that statement repeatedly to continue and try to blame outside programs. If my wording makes no sense, ask for clarification dont assume im an idiot who doesnt know any basic troubleshooting.

But yes. Good day.

@Heibi.4251 said:
    Not an overlay issue. I don't use overlays and it was happening quite frequently the other day. The screen would go black, but I'd have sound and the in-game cursor. I always had to close out the game via close window function. I can go an entire day without it happening and then I get spurts of every 10-20 minutes a black screen event.

This is what ive experienced as well, it either never happens at all. Happens in bursts, or happens once and then never again that night. Regardless of if im running outside programs or not.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.