Cannot login to forum or account page on PC. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Cannot login to forum or account page on PC.

This is very odd. For a few months now I have been unable to login to this discussion website or the GW2 Account page on my PC. After entering my credentials on the login page it either doesn't navigate there and returns a blank white page or I get a confused face with "invalid session: permission problem". Suspicious?

Things I have tried:

Microsoft Edge
Google Chrome
Firefox
Disabling all add-ons and blockers
Clearing cache
Clearing DNS cache
Resetting modem and router.
Ensured Windows is up to date.
Disabling Antivirus.
Disabling Firewall.

Works on other computers and my smartphone which I am using now, all connected to the same network. That rules out IP banning. Now the only thing I can think of is that somehow, mistakenly or otherwise, I have been blocked based on hardware ID, like the MAC address.

I'm not accusing anybody and there's likely another reason for all of this but all the evidence points towards some sort of block. I do not use 2 Factor Authentication for login on the website.

I am yet to try a VPN on the PC that is having access issues to this website. That is my next step and I will report back.

Just to note, prior to this, I've had no access issues on the same machine at any other time on the GW2 Discussions and Account pages and that separately, I have never had an issue logging into GW2 itself.

Comments

  • Make sure cookies and tracking is allowed. Then, try logging in.

    Good luck.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

    You have content blockers on.

  • Holgarf.6581Holgarf.6581 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2019

    Cookies and trackers are allowed.

    Ayrilana, I have already stated that content blockers are off. Please don't read the title of a thread, not read its contents and just assume that people are doing things wrong.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2019

    @Holgarf.6581 said:
    Cookies and trackers are allowed.

    Ayrilana, I have already stated that content blockers are off. Please don't read the title of a thread, not read its contents and just assume that people are doing things wrong.

    Well something is going on on your end. What I just suggested was my solution when I experienced the exact same thing you are right now.

    Go to your ad blocker and whitelist: account.arena.net

  • Holgarf.6581Holgarf.6581 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Holgarf.6581 said:
    Cookies and trackers are allowed.

    Ayrilana, I have already stated that content blockers are off. Please don't read the title of a thread, not read its contents and just assume that people are doing things wrong.

    Well something is going on on your end. What I just suggested was my solution when I experienced the exact same thing you are right now.

    Go to your ad blocker and whitelist: account.arena.net

    The ad blockers are off. I've used 3 different browsers, two of which don't have any ad blockers (or any other extensions) installed (therefore no whitelist).

  • Healix.5819Healix.5819 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Holgarf.6581 said:
    Now the only thing I can think of is that somehow, mistakenly or otherwise, I have been blocked based on hardware ID, like the MAC address.

    That's not a thing for websites. Something like that would need to be configured within your own network, on your router. If you can access it on another device on the same network, the problem is caused by software on your computer, whether it be the browser or something else. If your browser's security settings are too high, such as disabling referrers or the user-agent, that can cause problems.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2019

    @Holgarf.6581 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Holgarf.6581 said:
    Cookies and trackers are allowed.

    Ayrilana, I have already stated that content blockers are off. Please don't read the title of a thread, not read its contents and just assume that people are doing things wrong.

    Well something is going on on your end. What I just suggested was my solution when I experienced the exact same thing you are right now.

    Go to your ad blocker and whitelist: account.arena.net

    The ad blockers are off. I've used 3 different browsers, two of which don't have any ad blockers (or any other extensions) installed (therefore no whitelist).

    I'll look into it more to see if there's anything else on a PC that would block a page. Anet changed something and it's getting flagged and blocked by something. For me, on my phone, it was an ad blocker. I think many years ago people had similar issues and that's because the link had so many redirects.

  • Holgarf.6581Holgarf.6581 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Holgarf.6581 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Holgarf.6581 said:
    Cookies and trackers are allowed.

    Ayrilana, I have already stated that content blockers are off. Please don't read the title of a thread, not read its contents and just assume that people are doing things wrong.

    Well something is going on on your end. What I just suggested was my solution when I experienced the exact same thing you are right now.

    Go to your ad blocker and whitelist: account.arena.net

    The ad blockers are off. I've used 3 different browsers, two of which don't have any ad blockers (or any other extensions) installed (therefore no whitelist).

    I'll look into it more to see if there's anything else on a PC that would block a page. Anet changed something and it's getting flagged and blocked by something. For me, on my phone, it was an ad blocker. I think many years ago people had similar issues and that's because the link had so many redirects.

    Interesting. Ye, I've tried everything I can think of. It's weird because it's three prominent browsers.

    When this problem first cropped up, I hadn't changed anything on my PC or Network, it just didn't work one day. :confused:

    I'll keep trying.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.