[Suggestion] Eventful WvW

Menaka.5092

Dynamic events are a big part of GW2 open world PVE experience: strategically meaningful events and event chains could be a great improvement for WvW, making the game mode easier to get into for newcomers and building a strong framework to which rewards and achievements could be linked.

Let's see a few examples:

• when an objective upgrade is nearing completion, we could have dynamic events in the camps around the objective and for the dolyaks transporting the supplies. The events would prompt for allies to defend the camps and dollys and for enemies to flip the camps and kill the dollys.
  • when a structure is under siege (siege weapons are hitting gates/walls), defenders should see a major event that prompts for wiping or driving off the attackers (the generic "defend" event we have right now) and several minor events for building and/or using defensive siege or disabling the enemy siege; the attackers will have events around the structure that prompt for preventing defenders from getting inside and maybe even events to contest nearby structures to prevent use of close-by waypoints. Maybe keeps could have different events for inner/outer and for killing the lord and capturing the objective...
  • after capturing a structure, the game could spawn several small events to prompt players to build defensive siege and events for capturing the nearby supply camps to provide supplies for upgrading the structure.
  • when "outnumbered", provide alternative guerrilla style events, focusing on flipping camps and killing dolyaks to prevent enemies from upgrading objectives.

kfCSqDr.jpg

dkc9zOD.jpg

Events could even take into account the 3-faction system to provide a more dynamic and distributed battlefield. For example, imagine that Red is winning the skirmish, Green is second and Blue is in third place. Now imagine that Blue is attacking a Red structure. Green has two options: they can attack another Red objective on the opposite side of the map (because attacking two Red objectives increases the chances of flipping at least one of them, and has the chance of flipping both) or they can try to steal the cap from Blue adding insult to injury.

I see many advantages in implementing a system like this:

• it could help spread out the blobs, lowering the load on the servers and the lag and incidentally making more classes and builds viable. This would help groups of all sizes to be able to enjoy WvW again.
  • it could provide a good framework to tie the rewards to; it could be scaled based on the number of attackers and defenders and maybe even the amount of supplies used or the total duration of the siege.
  • the results of the events could be directly tied to scoring (maybe even taking into account the number of attackers/defenders), giving the designers a good chance to implement a system that rewards active play over night capping and Player vs Doors: structures that are not attacked (and defended) for a long time will provide less points in the same timeframe than those that are heavily contested. Successfully defending T1 towers could probably give more points in time than a fully sieged T3 keep that no one dares attacking.
  • having a map full of "meaningful" things to do would be really useful for new players getting in WvW.

Originally posted in July 2013, updated and reposted in the new forums.

Eventhough I can foresee that some people will complain it'd kill the "purity" of the game mode, I'm fondly for that kind of thing. It'd also help a lot of new players to figure out what to do.

The territory system would be an interesting way to reduce the visual clutter of all these events : the call would only be sent to players in an adjacent territory.

@Insanity.1054 said:But there are already events? What do you want more? All points you speak of are already implemented as (dynamic) events as they only occur under certain circumstances.

Maybe I didn't convey my ideas properly, but none of the examples is actually implemented in game. There are a few events, but no event chains and no "reactive" events that are clearly marked in the map.

If you tie rewards to these pve-style events we will have people (blobs) flocking to events similar to the pip issues now (camp RI...we will just stand here for 3 minutes because participation). Players will continue to naturally go to the event they deem easiest to win and giving the most rewards, so I don't see blobs spreading out. They could do that now to gain more pips, but they don't. I can't emphasize this point enough. Not to mention giving scouts a raw deal.If you're new and on Ehmry Bay, feel free to message me in-game for wvw help.

Some advantages I see with this idea:

• Easier for new players to see where to go and what to do (tutorial sort of)
  • A way to sort of "lead to the action" since it will attract people of both sides

Another possibility could be to stage more different types of breakout situations (other than poor abused Siegerazer). An extreme example of that could be if one side controls the entire map without any resistance, the game could stage some npc raids that will take back undefended structures, so they actually have to defend it. (Let the booing begin!)

Archived