Top 250 is what percent of active players per region?

Crab Fear.1624

When I think active I would like to say those that compete during a season, meaning they have 120 games at least by season end.

If you are top 1% then we could believe that 25000 active players.

Top 5% is about 5000 players

Top 10% would be 2500 active players

Top 25% is about 1000

Top 50% is about 500.

I feel like it is about 1500 active players

That would mean top 17ish%

I guess a dev telling us a ballpark would be bad ....

If we're talking just top 250 in NA, here is my ballpark:

• Top 10 is like what, maybe 3 or 4 actual players? rest are alts of those players
  • Top 25 encompasses about 10 to 15 actual players, rest are alts
  • Top 100 has be something around 50 to 60 actual players, rest are alts being played into same elo ranges
  • Top 250 is probably about 150 actual real players, rest are alts of those players
  • If we could see top 1000, probably be like 600-750 real players, rest are alts

I'd say that the flow of population we see in terms of different accounts, certainly does not reflect the amount of actual human beings participating. It's probably pretty ballpark to say that about 3/4ths of the individual accounts we see entering the mists, is the actual amount of human beings participating. Thing is, how many individual accounts a day are queueing games? I'd bet that around 1000 individual accounts queue a pvp match per day, regardless of how many games they queue for that day.

But if you're talking who has 120 games played by the end of a season in let's say top 1000, I'd say it wouldn't be enough to fill a top 1000. It would probably tapper off around top 300 or top 400, for players who even qualify at 120 games played for placement. So if we had 400 active accounts per season like this, it is realistically probably about 250 actual human beings who are active for 120 game qualification. Probably a sound estimate.

That's just ranked though. There are a lot of people who play that only queue unranked.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524"

In your eagerness to rant about Alts, you've completely missed the meaning of the question.

To answer the actual question, obviously no actual data to prove anything, but my feeling is that, depending on how you define "active", the active playerbase is roughly 5000-10000 per region, meaning the top 250 represents the top 3-5%.

Forum warriors will claim "lol even hamster can get into top 250, no skill, dead game"........ but what these people are forgetting is just how low the bottom of the barrel is. Its really, really, really low.

Looking on GW2Efficiency, 10% of accounts registered there have won at least 400 ranked games (so presumably played ~800). That's 10% of 227,974 accounts. Obviously that's across all seasons, not just current, but 800 games across all seasons is probably a reasonable bar to set for "active". And accounts registered with GW2Efficiency is nowhere near the entire playerbase.

@Ragnar.4257 said:@"Trevor Boyer.6524"

In your eagerness to rant about Alts, you've completely missed the meaning of the question.

To answer the actual question, obviously no actual data to prove anything, but my feeling is that, depending on how you define "active", the active playerbase is roughly 5000-10000 per region, meaning the top 250 represents the top 3-5%.

Forum warriors will claim "lol even hamster can get into top 250, no skill, dead game"........ but what these people are forgetting is just how low the bottom of the barrel is. Its really, really, really low.

His definition of active was players who complete 120 games by the end of a season. I'd say only about 300 or 400 accounts actually complete 120 games by the end of a season, so the top 250 probably represents roughly 60% or so of the active player base, when active means completing 120+ games by the end of a season.

When people start dropping out of the top 250, they tend to get deterred from the game mode and stop queueing so many games. I notice many people on my contacts list who will actually pretty much log out and not come back until the next season, if they aren't achieving some personal standards. This is why the top 250, by his definition of active, is probably representing a large % of the active player base.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

His definition of active was players who complete 120 games by the end of a season. I'd say only about 300 or 400 accounts actually complete 120 games by the end of a season, so the top 250 probably represents roughly 60% or so of the active player base, when active means completing 120+ games by the end of a season.

When people start dropping out of the top 250, they tend to get deterred from the game mode and stop queueing so many games. I notice many people on my contacts list who will actually pretty much log out and not come back until the next season, if they aren't achieving some personal standards. This is why the top 250, by his definition of active, is probably representing a large % of the active player base.

400 accounts completing 120 games is a laughably low estimate.

Given that the top 250 usually represents Platinum and up, you're suggesting that over 50% of the playerbase is in platinum. Wut.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

400 accounts completing 120 games is a laughably low estimate.

Eh I don't think so at all at this point.

I can que 10-20 games a day for a week straight at various different times, and still see the same 20-30 people in my queue rotations each and every game, every day, all week long. <- Those are the people who are completing 120+ games by the end of a season. The random accounts that show up once and never stick around long enough to even remember who they are during a season, surely are not completing 120+ games by the end of a season, and even those accounts from my own experience, represent less than half of the queues I see end up in my game. Like I said, I see the same two or three dozen players in my ques, over and over and over, no matter what time I'm queueing. And that's ranging from 1800 duos all the way down to Gold 1s.