Counterplay Ideas for Stealth

jpsssss.7530

@jpsssss.7530 said:Stealth, as it currently stands is an unhealthy game mechanic. It is easily spammable, denies information in fights, allows for too safe repositioning, can be categorized as psuedo damage negation and breaks target locks. On top of that, in some cases, it is used to cover hacking.

The current option is revealed, which is not only limited, but in all cases but sic 'em is either placed on a weak skill, or costs a stunbreak. That also assumes you're not against a deadeye, which can remove revealed, and has access to attacks with longer range than any skill other than sic 'em that applies revealed.

My proposal is to rework stealth so that it is a boon, and therefore somewhat more easily removed. This way stealth builds can still exist, but have some viable counterplay options. Not every class will have an option for counter play, but thats probably alright (though this could open the avenue of having a boon strip on dragon hunter).

I'd like to hear more suggestions, because while stealth SHOULD remain in the game, it SHOULD NOT be so abundant with no viable counterplay mechanic. If it has accessible and not useless/god awful counterplay, then the amount of stealth in the game should be fine.

Easy counter.

Turn friendly fire on.Stealth combos??? Well too bad, can't do it.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Donari.5237 said:I assume you mean in PvP even though you didn't post in those forums? Stealth's wonderful in PvE. So long as they split the implementation and keep stealth loss in the PvP areas, go for it :) Unless you mean for it to behave exactly as it does now, only to count as a boon rather than its own buff, and the mobs don't boon strip us.

I mean in WvW and PvP. PvE balance is likely near perfect because of the attention PvE gets over PvP and WvW...

I didn't even know pve was even meant to be balanced since it's all about killing brain dead ai with lots of health, and the ai dosnt complain lol so why do they focus on pve balance ?

If they did focus on PvE, then PvP balance wouldn't ever screw over PvE players. Since that isn't true, what are you talking about? PvP combined with PvE screws over PvE every time, as proven by all games that have this kind of idiocy.

@Yggranya.5201 said:Isn't there a PvP section for this kind of thing? I'm sure you know the answer, so why are you here? I'm simply curious.

Its not just PvP, its PvP and WvW. I won't make 2 posts because I would like the comments that give ideas to be in one place

If this is a "problem" in both of them, I'm sure most people who are interested in PvP will visit both.

And what excatly gets screwed over in pve? its not competitive at all. i dont get why pve balance is a thing.

Well Ranger pets, to start. The latest SoulBeast changes were predicated on competitive play and should not have been introduced into PvE. Those are two off of the top of my head.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Donari.5237 said:I assume you mean in PvP even though you didn't post in those forums? Stealth's wonderful in PvE. So long as they split the implementation and keep stealth loss in the PvP areas, go for it :) Unless you mean for it to behave exactly as it does now, only to count as a boon rather than its own buff, and the mobs don't boon strip us.

I mean in WvW and PvP. PvE balance is likely near perfect because of the attention PvE gets over PvP and WvW...

I didn't even know pve was even meant to be balanced since it's all about killing brain dead ai with lots of health, and the ai dosnt complain lol so why do they focus on pve balance ?

If they did focus on PvE, then PvP balance wouldn't ever screw over PvE players. Since that isn't true, what are you talking about? PvP combined with PvE screws over PvE every time, as proven by all games that have this kind of idiocy.

@Yggranya.5201 said:Isn't there a PvP section for this kind of thing? I'm sure you know the answer, so why are you here? I'm simply curious.

Its not just PvP, its PvP and WvW. I won't make 2 posts because I would like the comments that give ideas to be in one place

If this is a "problem" in both of them, I'm sure most people who are interested in PvP will visit both.

And what excatly gets screwed over in pve? its not competitive at all. i dont get why pve balance is a thing.

As an example: You have something that is fun. It might not be the strongest thing or the most useful thing but it serves your purpose and you might enjoy using it. Then someone in PvP/raids finds a combination with other classes or skills that make it much stronger than it first seemed. So the developers take, as always, the easy way out and just nerf it all to the ground, which is funny considering it wasn't anything special without team work/some meta BS.

My only guess is that it is much easier/simpler to just put PvE/PvP balance together, although that makes no sense on the long run. GW2 might not have had many things like that, but it will always eventually happen when they are bundled together. So the less of that kind of thing there is, the better.

I still don't see what your precious competitiveness has anything to do with balance, although i can probably guess. "Balance doesn't matter in casual PvE", right?

@Yggranya.5201 said:

I still don't see what your precious competitiveness has anything to do with balance, although i can probably guess. "Balance doesn't matter in casual PvE", right?

Yeah, pretty much. I was never really a hardcore pve player, in fact my mastery points are still at 214 lol, dont even have skyscale. I did do a bit of raiding when it first came out but got bored of that very quickly too, so yeah pve is just casual. The ai is dumb as hell, just simple looped over and over skill chains and the only reason they are "kind of" hard is because they have a billion health and can 1 shot everyone, sure there are other mechanics involved too but I never thought pve balance would effect it too much... may be for elitist who want to do runs as fast as possible with no set backs.