Low FPS / Lag Issues [MERGED]

I have just returned into the game and I thought "what the heck is happening?". With my older pc when gw2 came out, my humple gtx 680 could run the game at 50-70fps averange without Antialising. But today with a far better machine I have 18-21 fps constantly! No matter the changes I do to the graphic section, they seem to have no effect on the game:Graphics to the lowest details: 23-25 fpsGraphics to the maxed details: 18-21 fpsSo, I do not think it is the hardware... I was thinking to buy both of the expansions and enjoy the game once more but I believe this have to wait until they address this issue... Too bad though, it seems like a very nice expansion the latest one...

• 3 weeks later...

Having a similar issue as well - drops to nearly unplayable after playing for a little while - then kicks back to a normal playable speed at random. Rebooting my computer fixes it for a while, but even after looking at resource monitors and temps I can't find any correlation for the drops I see. Nothing is maxed out, temps aren't abnormally high, changing the graphics settings to minimum in game doesn't even help.

I did a clean install of Nvidia's 388.71 drivers last night and it may have helped - but I can't be sure yet. It seemed for the little time I've played like it's still happening but less often and for less time. I need to pay closer attention in the next few days before I can confirm it helped at all.

Answering Mod's Questions:

1. When did this issue first start?Can't say for sure - just came back to the game recently and it's been a constant problem. Seems worse in the last few weeks.
  2. Has it been consistent across time, or has it become worse lately? Or has it come and gone (been intermittent) over time?Seems worse in the last few weeks. And having just come back from a long hiatus, I can't recall if it manifested 4 years ago or not.
  3. What is your general geographical location?West coast of the US, doesn't appear to be latency related.
  4. On what game world are you playing?Borlis Pass

The most annoying thing for me is when it just locks itself at 5 or 8 FPS and 1k ping. I have Giglife Internet from Cox which is just ridiculously fast. I know around launch time there was an ISP thread and there was some sort of issue with Anet and my ISP. My build - i7-6950X, 1080 TI. 32GB 3200Mhz Ram. Never had this issue up until about 5 weeks ago. I usually just close my game and go do something else. Server Maguuma, Location - AZ, Issue is intermittent. Can be in PvE zones, PVP, WVW, or in Guild Hall. Lasts for 10 minutes or longer. I just shut the game down and play another time. Wife will be playing on her computer with me and it happens to her as well. Pretty much same build but she has 1 - 1080TI's. Same processor and ram.

I'm having same issues. i5 @3.5ghz 1050 2gb. WvW especially unplayable. Talked to friends, most of them have same issues, like after each patch game becomes worse and worse fps wise. It's almost like anet test their game on 10k $ pc beast sitting in Queensdale, rather than trying on mid specs and trying to play wvw or any pve with big player population..Any other game runs smoothly, no complains, just gw2.Reinstalled game few days ago, I don't know what happened, but now, even moving the camera around, FPS drops to like 30 and then goes back up to 60 again..Anet guy in page 1 asked when did this all started - can't tell, FPS becoming worse and worse after every update

Mine goes from 60 to 4-6 fps for a few minutes then comes back up to normal for several hours, then back down. It can be anywhere, I've even had my graphics turned all the way down & it began. It only lasts for several minutes then pops back to normal. Logging out fixes it.I'm thinking it may be Nvidia since gw2 updates and nvidia hate each other.Ive deleted my .dat file before i unpatch the recent nvidia update.

For what it's worth - as an addendum to my original post, I've been playing for 2 full days without the same slowdowns using a clean install of Nvidia's 388.71 drivers. It appears, at least in my case, that the drivers, not the game, were at fault for the low FPS spurts I'd been experiencing. Drivers linked below:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/128421/en-us

@"genshi.5376" said:For what it's worth - as an addendum to my original post, I've been playing for 2 full days without the same slowdowns using a clean install of Nvidia's 388.71 drivers. It appears, at least in my case, that the drivers, not the game, were at fault for the low FPS spurts I'd been experiencing. Drivers linked below:

I thought you would save me, but it was actually my current driver x)

I've been getting the absolutely massive slowdowns to 4-5fps which require a restart to fix (a VERY short term fix is to drop into windowed mode then back to full screen).

I'm guessing it's a GPU memory issue, but yeah, it only started happening after I updated my NVidia driver, so I'll try downloading the older version suggested here. If you don't hear from me again then that solved the issue.

Replying to Gaile Grey,

1. When did this issue first start?I changed my HDD 5400 to a SSD 250Go a Crucial one, like 2 weeks ago. On my HDD i'm playing with 10-15 fps lower but constant. Here with my clean SSD i'm playin an average of 15fps more than with the HDD, BUT after 5min playing i have several drops coming from 60fps to 10 and sometimes 7.

2. Has it been consistent across time, or has it become worse lately? Or has it come and gone (been intermittent) over time ?I'm coming back after one year cuz better computer atm. So started playing again like 3weeks ago, and installed my SSD 1week ago so i'm getting those drops since 1week. I'm getting the issue with the new windows installed on my new SSD. New windows, new drivers, i'm working on it.

3. What is your general geographical location?I'm leaving in France (East).

4. On what game world are you playing?I'm playing on FR Jade smthg like this.

What i've tried =_I tried to install "drivers" for the SSD,_upgraded RAM from 8Go DDR3 to 16Go DDR3 (not DDR4 cuz $$$$ hehe)_a clean uninstall of my Nvidia drivers and i tried close allllllllllll the older versions the latest 388 / 385 / 391, still same._to clean, to optimize my SSD (cuz as i tried to rollback GPU drivers didn't change, i thought was my SSD BUT on other games, i don't have any prob like this),_to disable some services at the start, disable background app/service,_to run GW2 without any other app open, not even Avast, without voice chat software (TS, Discord),

And well my windows is new and clean so... Really impossible to guess from what it comes from.The last thing i didn't try is to completely uninstall the game and reinstall it, that i'm going to try out tonight.

It can't be my computer, because even if it's old, i'm able to play other games not only MMO but FPS, TPS, MOBA, etc... without having any problem like this.

@Drunken Guilt.3802 said:I am playing on a GeForce 560 and an i7 3770k. Went from 20-50fps to 7fps after a long break from the game.I updated my drivers to 391.1 with no success. Decided to try an older driver, when I was actively playing, 350.12. It worked, I am back to my normal FPS.

Are you on an ssd or a hdd? I've noticed a little bit of a trend between people with SSDs and random fps drops from normal to 5-10. This is also exactly what is happening to me, I've tried like 10 nvidia drivers. Another thing I notice is that when this fps drop happens load times also drop to near hdd speeds...@TBH TheAsher.4820 because you were one of the people I saw in the same case as me

@"genshi.5376" said:For what it's worth - as an addendum to my original post, I've been playing for 2 full days without the same slowdowns using a clean install of Nvidia's 388.71 drivers. It appears, at least in my case, that the drivers, not the game, were at fault for the low FPS spurts I'd been experiencing. Drivers linked below:

Did you downgrade your driver from a previous version? I usually try to keep the latest drivers installed, but this FPS loss is hurting me. I only started a few weeks back, and world bosses are just painful, and I'm scared to try fractals or dungeons.

I'm at work so I can't provide specific specs, but I'm able to play WoW at max settings in a raid without noticeable FPS loss, and have been playing Fallout 4 at Ultra since the game launched. My rig, while older, should still be able to handle GW2 on autodetect settings...

@"nortask.8351" Yeah, i thought it's the SSD but finally i found something else = try to write on google "Windows Creator FPS drop".I thought it was my SSD fuckin up my game but obv as i can run all my games properly so why would it be my SSD ?

I think it's more Windows the real problem. New SSD with a new Windows, updated with creator update, that's the point.Maybe Creator and SSD don't match or dunno, but It's not only GW, feels like a lot of people are fked up with Creator so...

I will reinstall my Windows, entirely, and i will try to dodge the installation of Creator, but atm i can't even point the real problem or where it comes from.I just bought PoF + some gems and i'm just fked up...... Impossible to play with those drops.

GL HF, stay tuned

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Did you downgrade your driver from a previous version? I usually try to keep the latest drivers installed, but this FPS loss is hurting me. I only started a few weeks back, and world bosses are just painful, and I'm scared to try fractals or dungeons.

I'm at work so I can't provide specific specs, but I'm able to play WoW at max settings in a raid without noticeable FPS loss, and have been playing Fallout 4 at Ultra since the game launched. My rig, while older, should still be able to handle GW2 on autodetect settings...

For what it's worth, I upgraded to the NVidia driver 388.71 and saw no changes. Typical FPS is around 20-30 but that drops to 10-15 when a crowd gathers or in cities. I'm enjoying the game and can 'put up with it' for now, but I honestly don't know how long that will last, especially given how many jumping puzzles exist ingame =/

1. Started last week or so I think? Pretty recently. Have always had great performance before. Doesn't seem to be necessarily correlated with more intense things going on (ie I can do a gigantic world event with no fps drop and then be in personal story and have fps drop).
  2. Seems to happen randomly since it's started.
  3. Washington, DC area (ISP Verizon fios gigabit).
  4. Tarnished Coast

Same thing - no CTD's but I'll drop from ~45 to ~8 suddenly. It will go away after a few minutes usually, but is more likely to come back until I exit the game and then restart it.No mods, repaired the game, reverted to the 385 drivers and then re-updated back to the latest (GTX 1080 + i5 6700k) am now completely reinstalling it. We will see if the last one fixes it.Have not tried 388 drivers. Will also try shaders change in-game when fps drop hits and have deleted my gw2 appdata folder,Changing graphics settings in-game even dramatically reducing settings don't fix it but exiting and restarting always does.High performance mode in power settings.If any of the fixes fixes this for me, I WILL update this post or make a new post in this thread.

Over the last few days, the game has been progressively unplayable. From random disconnection to my skills just flashing and not doing anything. Several players from SG that I know seem to suffer from that as well, however, not as bad as mine.

Pingplotter shows me no packet lost from my ISP until it reaches an amazon server (sometimes 2-10% which I assume is fairly normal) but there are times where it goes up to 18-20%+.

The IP I used to trace was obtained from /ip in game (if that is the correct method).

Same here. ping spikes upto 1000 and even 3000ms randomly. Other times just throws me off the game. Got dc twice from a raid today, yesterday from The First City story instance (pain the bottom), and extremely frequent disconnect in PvE. Not even able to mine a node! Last Error Code: 7:11:3:191:101

There is indeed some bug in the system

@Excelcium.2193 said:Same here. Playing from Singapore, ping spikes up to 1200 randomly and makes the game unplayable, please fix it!

Yeah, sometimes this guy can't carry me cause we're both lagging. Some really strange error codes pop up too, with some sending me back to the character select screen and on one occasion closing the game entirely after dismissing the error message.