Game crashes my PC [MERGED}

To the OP. Which 670 is it? I have an eVGA 670gtx SC (Super-clocked) and to this day have always had the exact same issue since I got the card at the end of 2012. That computer also has a comparable generation CPU with an i7-3930K and 16GB of RAM. I fixed it by down-clocking the video card. I played the entirety of HoT like this without a single crash when, previously, I will typically get a crash every 15-30 minutes if I don't down clock. nVidia Inspector is a great little program for quickly changing the clocks. This does not fix it for everyone, but it has fixed it for many.

@"Djentleman.1650" said:Interesting. I am just now playing Living World Season 3 story mission "A Shadow's Deeds" and my PC always crashes bad (with lots of erratic sound artifacts and black screen) in a non-deterministic manner within 1 min after having the first talk with Caithe. Referring to elTigre.4532's post about Jade Constructs, I recon this actually is a major bug in the graphics engine. I have an ASUS R9 280 and if this is supposed to be an overheating issue as, then it must be due to poor programming on ArenaNet's side. It is absolutely ridiculous that I can play all other story missions so far and all world bosses with hundreds of other players lagging @ around 15 fps, yet in a scene with 2 actors, a bunch of rocks and some shader fx my graphics card suddenly isn't enough anymore and overheats? That is just rubbish. If it should be overheating , there must be a vastly inefficient or way to deep recursive function that is executed low-level on a shader or something like that and came with Living World Season 3. I don't believe in overheating but rather in a non-deterministic bug producing a null pointer that is not caught by some graphics cards / GPUs or their drivers.

The problem is that it is completely non-deterministic. Of course it's an ANet code problem. Even if it IS some sort of flaky hardware or combination of hardware, the fact is that for pretty much everyone who reports it, they say it only affects GW2 and no other games or applications. That means that ANet is doing something most other developers are not or not catching some error that most other developers are. I find it interesting that you're running a 280. I think you're the first with an ATi that I've seen in 5 years of following this issue. This almost exclusively affects nVidia.

@Leamas.5803 said:The problem is that it is completely non-deterministic. Of course it's an ANet code problem. Even if it IS some sort of flaky hardware or combination of hardware, the fact is that for pretty much everyone who reports it, they say it only affects GW2 and no other games or applications. That means that ANet is doing something most other developers are not or not catching some error that most other developers are. I find it interesting that you're running a 280. I think you're the first with an ATi that I've seen in 5 years of following this issue. This almost exclusively affects nVidia.

Evidently it is not. I was an exclusive nVidia customer since Riva, just after 3DFx, and always went with mid-budget nVidia boards. Computer graphics research, tweaking, overclocking, water-cooling, the whole shabang ever since the release of the original Unreal: In all of these roughly 10 years of nVidia I had ridiculous frame drops as soon as there was fog, mist, translucent smoke or alike... So my current and probably last beast (i7 @ 4GHz) got an AMD/ATI for Elite Dangerous for a change and I have to say that I had the best, constantly pleasant and performance-wise predictable 3D graphics experience ever since Unreal with my first Monster 3D. Two thumbs up for AMD, also regarding CrossFire technology. If anyone has doubts, read a decent tech article comparing SLI and CF. I'm afraid, nVidia has a too aggressive obsolescence planning department ever since the GeForce era, when they were seriously on top of ATI.

Back to topic: Software version with regular major crashes MUST not be released (QM's job description -> raises suspicion of cheap software test processes @ ANet) and if accidentally released, fixed with highest priority! Every day that the affected group of customers can not consume the content they purchased is a 100% money back reason and if denied, basis for a law suit. Don't get me wrong: ANet has my sympathies, since my company also has their own graphics engines which are troublesome to say the least. This is the downside of developing your own in-house engine and thus supposedly saving money in licenses as opposed sourcing it out (Unreal, Frostbite, Crytek, Team Carmack or what not). I heard it all before: "We can do it ourselves." - "We did it before." - "We can recycle a lot of code." - my personal favorite -> "There are jobs on the line! " sad but true, but what's the size of your employed engine team without loans or freelancers? 5? Less? But the best one is this -> "The majority of customers will be happy with whatever 20th century software architecture we shove them up/down their body parts as long as there is say... foraging!" Isn't that right, management? :kiss:

That was a fist bump to ANet's honorable devs and especially testers. :wink: Sorry for the rudeness. It was certainly not my place. You guys probably do it every day over lunch anyways and kudos to the engine team for what works and has been working so far. Certainly better than what my corp sell for a LOT more money.

Still: ArenaNet, please take responsibility and fix crashes like these in between major releases, even if only a small percentage of customers experienced this. The game is too fun and I'd really like to play on and let you keep the money. Don't let poor coding inflammations fester: The chance exponentially increases that their consequences will eventually affect a much bigger, revenue-wise very uncomfortable amount of your (then former) customers.

I know the drill, no need for official statements. I'm just so very disappointed in general software development and IT management once more (when I am sitting in the customer's chair.) Please fix it this month. Pretty please. :smirk:

@Leamas.5803 said:Fix it this month? LOL It's been a problem with GW2 for over 5 years and it will still be a problem with GW2 when GW3 comes out. :p

:expressionless: Yea, I figured... I play for a month now and wanted to stay in denial for a day or so longer. Thx, mate. Now life really sucks right now already. :wink:

I will try your downclocking fix. If anything, I hope my last post at least yields a good, hearty laugh in their front office. :tongue:

@Djentleman.1650 said:

:expressionless: Yea, I figured... I play for a month now and wanted to stay in denial for a day or so longer. Thx, mate. Now life really sucks right now already. :wink:

I will try your downclocking fix. If anything, I hope my last post at least yields a good, hearty laugh in their front office. :tongue:

LOL I'm sure it will. I've been playing on and off since Sept/Oct-2012, first started having these problems the following December, when I got a new machine with the 670, and first reported it to ANet mid Jan-2013. I still remember, in those days, I was using nVidia driver version 306.97, since GW2 was the most stable on this at the time (310.70 was completely unstable with GW2) and used that driver until 36x.xx, which I had to install, because FFXIV and ESO would not work on 306.97, so for a while I was switching drivers back and forth, depending on what I was playing, which was a royal PITA. ANet original said it's hardware, the hardware vendors (eVGA/nVidia) and tech support where I bought the machine say it's the game. So, I was stuck in the middle of a he-said-she-said with no fix and could not get the card RMA'd since no one could reproduce the crash. :pensive:

Keeps crashing for me too. i even Uninstalled ArcDps to see if that was the cause but it's still happening. every time i get on my griffon, start a world boss or event chain or even try to do a simple leather farm CRASH can't even handle that. it's getting frustrating now :( i don't stay on for longer than 5 minutes now & i even completely reinstalled the client. still hasn't fixed it.

I have a character in Mistlock and it crashes when I try to sign in to that character. Others not in Mistlock work. I then tried to go to Mistlock on a character that was working and crashed. Sadly the character that is crashing is one I need for my guilds raid tonight. I'll try to remove arcdps to see if that fixes it. It is up to date.

Edit: I run GW2 Rich Presence; its an overlay for discord to show what map I'm on. I disabled that and all seems to be working.

• 1 year later...

Issue is still happening with me and I'm going crazy.

It's been going on for nearly 2 years, specifically when I'm in Lion's Arch or Mistlock Sanctuary.The game crashes my 1070 Ti, sounds can still be heard but nothing happening. Screennis completely black, nothing. This leads to me having to force reboot.

Issue has been around for 3 PSU changes, a motherboard change, and a cpu change.

It doesn't happen in any other game. Only in GW2.

So close to just giving up on the game. I've spent so much money trying to "fix" my computer in order to have GW2 be fully playable.

But then again, Anet hasn't done anything about issues like this since launch, I doubt it'll ever be fixed.

• 2 years later...