PvP more popular than players make it out to be (miscalculated)

Ragebru.1397

1,900,000,000+ hours of gameplay. Of that, 20,333,832 pvp matches were played. Assuming the average match takes around 8 minutes, that's around 8.5% of total game play time contributed to spvp. Factor in Average queue time of 2 and a half minutes, and a 30sec pre-ready check and map selection. Add 1min queue with final ready check. That places the average match at 12minutes. That's around 244,005,984 minutes spent on spvp. That's estimated to over 12.8% of total gameplay dedicated to spvp. This also leaves out spvp players trying out new builds in the dueling ring, or wailing on the dummies around the mists. This factors out teams meeting 15min early for AT's and formulating a strategy. This leaves out the players who camp WvW looking for 1v1's (which regardless is still pvp). 12.8% of total gameplay time without any adverse modifiers. That. Is. Huge!

After leaving out the final conversion, the actual data is pretty dang terrible. This month's AT were roughly 15mins long between each match. Even if I based the total duration off of a 15min timer for queue-to match-to requeue, you're looking at 1.8% participation time for spvp. This still ignores outliers of course, so assuming 5-10% of the total hours of gameplay are generated from afk players, bank standing, etc... pvp participation generates only 1.8%-2.5% of the total time invested into the game. 

That being said, I had way too much time on my hands this evening- thank you to the redditor who pointed out I had forgot a final conversion. I would like to know what your experiences are as players in pvp to try and generate some better data. Information such as your average time for queue-to match-to requeue would drastically help form a better estimation. 

edit: this is also only counting as one player.. If you were to multiply [#of matches] x [#of players in a match] x [duration of match] That comes out to 1,626,706,560 hours minutes, which is roughly 85% of total gameplay. (however, I know there are 2v2, 3v3, and DC's) so this number isn't accurate, but it just shows how high the potential is.

Edited by jwhite.7012
  • Thanks 1

I've been pvping since early 2013 and I'd say the pvp population now compared to then is between 2-4%. And Im being generous . 

This section of the forum used to be flooded with new posts and comments. You cant see them now coz of the constant "upgrading" (more like outsourcing) of the forum management. 

ATs are filled with mismatched games etc. Top players avoiding each other (not all) 

Also I CONSTANTLY see other "pvpers" announce that they got their dailies done and back to PVE. 

Edited by Pimsley.3681
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Pimsley.3681 said:

I've been pvping since early 2013 and I'd say the pvp population now compared to then is between 2-4%. And Im being generous . 

Ive been pvping since day 1 and id say its more like 71.9%. I could be 2-3% off.

The thing with numbers and %s is that they are totally useless unless they are factual / backed up by (correct) calculations. You throwing out random %s based on hunches and feelings is as nonsensical as my first sentence. 

50 minutes ago, Pimsley.3681 said:

This section of the forum used to be flooded with new posts and comments.

In relatively old MMOs and or if there hasnt been new content for a while the pvp section of a forum tends to be less active. U can see the same thing in  wow for example. A few months in to patches the forum tends to slow down a lot. 

The main difference is that wow is close to unplayable in pvp from halfway through a patch and onward. Unless youre a just for cap player or top 50 eu / NA. GW2 isnt perfect but at least its playable. fro anyone on the ladder. 

Edited by Locuz.2651
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Locuz.2651 said:

Ive been pvping since day 1 and id say its more like 71.9%. I could be 2-3% off.

The thing with numbers and %s is that they are totally useless unless they are factual / backed up by (correct) calculations. You throwing out random %s based on hunches and feelings is as nonsensical as my first sentence. 

This is not a Korean tele drama and I dont base things on "feelings" - hunches, maybe. 

1. Over 90% of purely pvpers on my list no longer play

2. I match with and against the same people over and over again.

3. I was referring to people not bots. 

4. You implying that the game retained 20% of pvpers since peak is a worse assessment. If you include bots and pve gold farmers, new pvpers, I still doubt we are at 20% the population of peak. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

• Ragebru.1397 changed the title to PvP more popular than players make it out to be (miscalculated)
8 hours ago, Pimsley.3681 said:

Over 90% of purely pvpers on my list no longer play

Yes thats what we call anecdotal evidence. 90% of the pvpers on my list still play regularly. Both statements are based on a small percentage of the playerbase and therefor useless. 

I played wow since release. U know how many of the 100's of steady teammates i had still play? 0. Does that mean wow pvp is dead?

I match with and against the same people over and over again.

That makes sense. The system found a group of players that are relatively evenly matched. And when youre done....you all q at the same time again. Not weird u get matched with/ against the same ppl again is it?

I was referring to people not bots. 

Havent played with a bot in months if not longer. Bots mostly reside at 900-1100 rating. If you really play at that rating it doesnt matter that much. They are pretty much on par with the players at that lvl. 

You implying that the game retained 20% of pvpers since peak is a worse assessment. If you include bots and pve gold farmers, new pvpers, I still doubt we are at 20% the population of peak. 

In your first post you where talking about 2-4%...and now its 20%? Let me try this random numbers game:

67%......82%.......54%...etc. <- All factual numbers.

My point is; dont pull random numbers without facts backing them up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Pimsley.3681 said:

This section of the forum used to be flooded with new posts and comments. You cant see them now coz of the constant "upgrading" (more like outsourcing) of the forum management. 

ATs are filled with mismatched games etc. Top players avoiding each other (not all) 

Also I CONSTANTLY see other "pvpers" announce that they got their dailies done and back to PVE. 

How does one avoid another in AT? 😂