Regarding the Aesthetic Issue (and Potentially Other Problems)

crewthief.8649

I left this in the feedback thread, but it’s been swallowed up by arguing, flexing, etc.. I wanted to copy/paste it here to see what you all think:

I know the aesthetic issue is probably secondary to functionality, but there does seem to be consensus among posters that they would appreciate being able to customize the Gun Saber. After all, GW2 has been referred to as “fashion wars” on more than one occasion. How about something like this:

Greatsword is a required equip upon switching into the Blade Sworn espec. So, rather than a separate mode, you just have your GS automatically equipped. The skills within the GS would change to what they are within the Dragon Saber, but the GS would retain its ability to be customized and this would allow us to equip a second set of sigils.

In order to indicate “Dragon Saber” mode, perhaps the animation team could simply put together some sort of transparent overlay over top of the GS. 

I don’t know how plausible this would be, but it would resolve a number of issues:

The aesthetic issue would be resolved

- The awkward weapon swap mechanic would be resolved.

- Dragon Trigger would simply become “F1” again and be accessible even when not in GS.

I dunno, just a thought I had.

This is not an easy thing to ask. They might need to rewrite part of the engie kits core code for that and create a whole new batch of bugs. Also there is not even UI for such a thing... where would you place "kits" customization? Customizing the gunsabre might never happen because it is not a weapon, it is an engineer kit in essence. Or a conjured weapon, or picked-up weapon.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Mesket.5728 said:

This is not an easy thing to ask. They might need to rewrite part of the engie kits core code for that and create a whole new batch of bugs. Also there is not even UI for such a thing... where would you place "kits" customization? Customizing the gunsabre might never happen because it is not a weapon, it is an engineer kit in essence. Or a conjured weapon, or picked-up weapon.

Maybe I didn’t articulate the idea very well. I’m saying that it is changed to not be a kit but instead simply a standard weapon swap but the GS is fixed as one of the weapons. Again, I’m by no means an expert, but could this work? 

Edited by crewthief.8649

58 minutes ago, crewthief.8649 said:

Maybe I didn’t articulate the idea very well. I’m saying that it is changed to not be a kit but instead simply a standard weapon swap but the GS is fixed as one of the weapons. Again, I’m by no means an expert, but could this work? 

It creates alot of problems. Currently, it seems that it is coded as a kit. Yes, they could code it as a weapon instead, but there are many issues coming with it.

So if you take bladesworn, you have a mandatory greatsword in one slot... where does that greatsword come from? Does the game just create a whole new greatsword for you? How does it work with stats? Kits are copying the stats of your equipped weapon underneath the kit (so my rifle gives all it's stats to all my kits).

Does the game then even go as far as giving you a free legendary greatsword with chosable stats?

Additionally, adjusting skills with an overlay is still alot of visual work while the work they already invested to create the original gunsaber is wasted.

On top, this just solves the aesthetical issue for bladesworn alone. Elementalist and engineer still have the issue. So your suggestion is to solve the aesthetical issues just for one elite spec for one class... that's quite alot of work for a fairly small target audience. Doesn't seem worth it.

The other idea floating around, that Anet creates aesthetic bundles for all the conjured weapons, kits and gunsaber, etc., seems more feasible. Still consider it unlikely to happen, but it is a better approach than making gunsaber a free legendary greatsword.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

It creates alot of problems. Currently, it seems that it is coded as a kit. Yes, they could code it as a weapon instead, but there are many issues coming with it.

So if you take bladesworn, you have a mandatory greatsword in one slot... we're does that greatsword come from? Does the game just create a whole new greatsword for you? How does it work with stats? Kits are copying the stats of your equipped weapon underneath the kit (so my rifle gives all it's stats to all my kits).

Does the game then even go as far as giving you a free legendary greatsword with chosable stats?

On top, adjusting skills with an overlay is still alot of visual work while the work they already invested to create the original gunsaber is wasted.

On top, this just solves the aesthetical issue for bladesworn alone. Elementalist and engineer still have the issue. So your suggestion is to solve the aesthetical issues just for one elite spec for one class... that's quite alot of work for a fairly small target audience. Doesn't seem worth it.

The other idea floating around, that Anet creates aesthetic bundles for all the conjured weapons, kits and gunsaber, etc., seems more feasible. Still consider it unlikely to happen, but it is a better approach than making gunsaber a free legendary greatsword.

Fair enough. I’m by no means an expert. Thank you for the feedback.

• Like 1