Launcher does not open after beta update

Hello everyone, everything good?

After yesterday's update, my game is no longer opening.

I played a bit of the beta, created the 3 characters and closed the game... When I came back hours later to play, I clicked to open the game and the launcher wouldn't open.

I looked here on the forum and found that it is possible to repair, so I did. The first time it worked, the game opened, but when I needed to close and open hours later, the same thing happened: launcher wouldn't open.

What can it be?

I've already checked antivirus and firewall, everything is ok.

Sometimes I click 10 times to open the game, that white pre-launcher appears with "0kb/s" and nothing else happens.

Edited by rikaschmitt.8953
  • Like 1

Same thing for me. I have been talking with support and did everything they have asked. Read other ideas from posters in different forums and no luck. I have done the name change adding -repair to the link; run as admin; changed many things I am not sure I remember how to go back anymore.

So...I uninstalled and thought, well, let's start over. Game will not install now.

Same issue. Box pops up, as if it will install, then quickly disappears and the game will not install.

Frustrating!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, blackmac.2685 said:

Same thing for me. I have been talking with support and did everything they have asked. Read other ideas from posters in different forums and no luck. I have done the name change adding -repair to the link; run as admin; changed many things I am not sure I remember how to go back anymore.

So...I uninstalled and thought, well, let's start over. Game will not install now.

Same issue. Box pops up, as if it will install, then quickly disappears and the game will not install.

Frustrating!

I opened a ticket in support but it still hasn't reply me.

I'm following the forum, don't uninstall it yet because I read that a lot of people aren't able to install again 😑

Really sad, because I just went on vacation from work and wanted to play 😭

Let's hope they find a solution soon!!

Ya, wish I had not uninstalled it now...but nothing else worked.

On my last day off and usually try and hammer out the bonus event while it is active...Thunderhead Peaks...now I am back to work tomorrow and no time. Wonder if they will reimburse our minimal 2 gold a day/ 10 AP dailies  🤣

Hopefully this is fixed at least after the beta, though I wanted to check out the new classes. Alas gotta fly out for a wedding over the weekend so I won't be back until after its over and done. Also hoping the next one goes a bit better since I love ranger and would be extra bummed to not muck about with it during its beta.

6 minutes ago, Altion.9576 said:

If you are using arcdps delete the d3d9.dll inside Guild Wars 2\bin64 that fixed it for me. 

I use only TacO.

I've already tried:

• delete cache files
  • delete temporary files
  • run the game using "-repair"
  • run the game using "-dx9" (I haven't even tried dx11)
  • run the game using "-windowed"
  • run the game using "-verify"

This problem is happening to some people only... My friend who lives with me has updated and is able to play normally. 

😲 Guys, I think maybe I found a possible solution for those who have not uninstalled and have a problem opening the launcher.

I opened the "bin64" folder which is located inside the main game folder, and deleted all the .dll files leaving only: "locales" folder, "CoherentUI_Host" and "CoherentUI64.dll".

After that, I created a shortcut to the game's executable, added a "-repair" to it and opened it. The launcher opened, loaded some stuff and the game repair window started.

At the end of the process the game opened... I closed the game and opened it again and it worked!!

I'll keep monitoring it, maybe it's a passing solution 🤔

30 minutes ago, rikaschmitt.8953 said:

😲 Guys, I think maybe I found a possible solution for those who have not uninstalled and have a problem opening the launcher.

I opened the "bin64" folder which is located inside the main game folder, and deleted all the .dll files leaving only: "locales" folder, "CoherentUI_Host" and "CoherentUI64.dll".

After that, I created a shortcut to the game's executable, added a "-repair" to it and opened it. The launcher opened, loaded some stuff and the game repair window started.

At the end of the process the game opened... I closed the game and opened it again and it worked!!

I'll keep monitoring it, maybe it's a passing solution 🤔

Unfortunately I tested this solution more times and after 3 times, it didn't open the launcher anymore 😭😭😭

So after trying everything listed above and 3 days of ticket support, running tests and programs; support stated that the DX11 beta was fixed and everything should work now.

I was still having the same problem, so I played around with Trend Micro as others have posted about it being a problem.

Trend Micro has never caused issues before, but I ensured GW2 had permission etc etc. All should have been ok.

What I found, was "mute mode". Again, always worked before, but I tried turning that off, still had to launch installer as an admin; however, it is currently downloading.

We will see if it works.

Hope that helps others that are still having problems.

3 hours ago, blackmac.2685 said:

So after trying everything listed above and 3 days of ticket support, running tests and programs; support stated that the DX11 beta was fixed and everything should work now.

I was still having the same problem, so I played around with Trend Micro as others have posted about it being a problem.

Trend Micro has never caused issues before, but I ensured GW2 had permission etc etc. All should have been ok.

What I found, was "mute mode". Again, always worked before, but I tried turning that off, still had to launch installer as an admin; however, it is currently downloading.

We will see if it works.

Hope that helps others that are still having problems.

Support also responded saying that they released a fix for the DX11 bug, but my game doesn't have DX11 enabled... why then the problem?

I'm managing to open the launcher now, following the tip I gave to delete the dlls... but it's not always that the launcher opens at first, I need to insist by clicking about 20 times lol 🤪

I am having the same problem, I run as admin and added it to anti-virus with no luck. I have DX11 enabled as well.

Edit: looked at other threads and saw someone said Trend Micro Antivirus was the problem so I turned off Trend completely instead of just adding it to the exception list. This worked for me.

Edited by patchcat.5628

Google 'visual c all runtimes' and go to techpowerup site, it's unattended setup and clever enough to only install missing/outdated ones.

If you try on dx9 try to get its 'June 2010' update files installed on your computer.

Last but not least try a program like patchmypc and check if you need to update any component. Then it will auto update.

Let us know if any will do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 5:47 PM, samiusdad.1639 said:

I  had the same issue, fixed it by closing trend micro 🙂

I had to completely close Trend and the launcher ran. I'm not even talking disabling the anti-virus, or using mute mode, or even adding Gw2 to the safe list. I had to QUIT the whole program. lol

4 hours ago, tamyeh.3741 said:

I had to completely close Trend and the launcher ran. I'm not even talking disabling the anti-virus, or using mute mode, or even adding Gw2 to the safe list. I had to QUIT the whole program. lol

yeah same here, I quit the program to make the updates then once the game is installed I can relaunch Trend.