Black haven

SoulGuardian.6203

This is just a silly question, but there might be some deeper meaning to the lore, as to why do we go to black haven three times throughout story mode, when GW2 tyria map is so huge?

There are other Forts/Garrison in Kessex Hills, right?

Just wondering, that's all.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

why do we go to black haven three times throughout story mode, when GW2 tyria map is so huge?

Think it's quite a straight forward question.

... and no, I haven't just started playing GW2.

I believe curiosity can pop at any given time throughout a lifetime. 

In a videogame or real life.

Now, you haven't posted anything relevant to the question, but ok.

Thanks anyways.

• Like 2

The early storylines were written to remain within the context of the related starter maps. Black Haven is a Lionguard fort in a low level portion of Kessex Hills, so it was a good place to take players to as opposed to the forts in Gendarran Fields which would be higher level than the story wanted the player to be before the NPE reworked where levels were for storylines. Now you're either level 20 or 30 when going to Black Haven, but originally you'd only be level 18 and 23 IIRC. In the case of the Dead Sister plot, I think you'd be too low level for Overlake Haven, while in the case of chapter 3's visit, it happens after visiting Overlake Haven in Kessex Hills, and we're following his trail of heading into Gendarran - hence our next visit of tracking his movements (Whispers option) is there. Don't recall the third storyline that takes us there atm.

I do know both circus and White Mantle plots go to Blackroot Cut near Black Haven, and again that's because of leveling - as both plots tie into the bandits, there's a bandit camp there, and it's the lowest level outside area in Kessex so it serves as an ideal introduction to the zone.

Original design of the game was for players to play the PS as they level, and do events, etc. while moving to the next story location - instead players went and leveled a bunch then binged the main story, leading to the NPE changes that grouped chapters into the same level to be done at once.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

23 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

This is just a silly question, but there might be some deeper meaning to the lore, as to why do we go to black haven three times throughout story mode, when GW2 tyria map is so huge?

There are other Forts/Garrison in Kessex Hills, right?

Konig already covered most of this, but I just want to add that each chapter can have drastically different paths, including a branch in the middle. Every human's chapter 3 will start the same, but the previous two were based on your character's starting biography, and can lead you elsewhere. Going to Black Haven in Chapter 3 is one way to get everyone to the same location before pushing them to the next locale. 

But as pointed out, there's not really a deep lore meaning as to why that fort is so important. It just happened to be in a convenient spot for the level characters were expected/suggested to be. Fort Salma is too far west for the story (and it was meant to push everyone towards Lion's Arch first), and I don't know Kessex Hills well enough to talk about the other human fortifications. I do know sylvari and asura cut through Kessex from Brisban Wildlands, but I don't think they spend that much time there before pushing on to Gendarren.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3