Currencies

Mushin.6789

It's because this way there is an extra incentive to play the content related to the different currencies. If you want to buy items released with a particular LW episode or expansion, you will likely have to get a hold of some (or a lot) of the relevant currencies, as well. But this concept has existed since launch, with the separate currencies for each dungeon, for example. If you could buy everything with gold, many people wouldn't touch certain types of content.

I wouldn't do Dragon Response Missions if there weren't some rewards tied to them, that's for sure.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MikeG.6389 said:

It's because this way there is an extra incentive to play the content related to the different currencies. If you want to buy items released with a particular LW episode or expansion, you will likely have to get a hold of some (or a lot) of the relevant currencies, as well. But this concept has existed since launch, with the separate currencies for each dungeon, for example. If you could buy everything with gold, many people wouldn't touch certain types of content.

I wouldn't do Dragon Response Missions if there weren't some rewards tied to them, that's for sure.

I think you could take that one further: if you could buy everything with gold some people wouldn't touch any content. They'd buy gems, convert them to gold, buy everything they wanted then complain there's nothing to do and declare the game dead.

But yeah, the different currencies are basically a way of tying rewards to specific content without relying on random drops the way other games do. It means you can find out in advance exactly how much time something will take and you're guarenteed to get it eventually, but still have to play that part of the game to get it.

You get used to it. The short version is that vendors require currencies from the area they're in or the content they're associated with so if you want something from them you need to go and play that part of the game.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think you could take that one further: if you could buy everything with gold some people wouldn't touch any content. They'd buy gems, convert them to gold, buy everything they wanted then complain there's nothing to do and declare the game dead.

I can only argue from my point of view, that is why I mentioned DRMs, which, I am fairly certain, are virtually universally disliked. But yeah, I think you are spot on with that assessment.