Catalyst idea: Let's turn it into Revenant.

Kain Francois.4328

I see a lot of posts giving feedback about Energy, some suggesting to remove it. Another complaint I see is that Catalyst itself is too close to Core Ele.

However, I think the underlying problem with Catalyst as a whole is that it does nothing interesting with its energy mechanic. So let's address that.

Let's turn Catalyst into a Revenant!

Mechanic: All Weapon Skills have their CDs reduced by half, but now have an energy cost to use them.  Changing attunements resets Energy back to 50. Energy is gained passively during combat. Jade Orb has an Upkeep cost to maintain.  (Basically... exactly like Revenant.)

Augments: This skill type no longer has a cooldown, or have a much lower cooldown, but instead uses energy. (Like Legend skills.)

Explanation: Having lower cooldowns opens up new combos in weapon skills, and likens them to a traditional MMORPG mage. A player who really likes to spam Meteor Shower could now do so, but at the cost of resource for their other skills.

Edited by Kain Francois.4328
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I love this idea a lot. To tune it further, so you could apply it to older utility skills, we could make it something like:

Reduce the CD of Elementalist skills by X% seconds. The X% seconds reduced now becomes the energy cost of the skill.

With this, the change applies to all ele weapons and utilities.

Some extra thoughts:

• On second thought, Jade Orb should retain its energy cost, but not have a cooldown. The reason being the ability to swap it would not work with Upkeep.
  • Some traits could really play around with Energy, such as reseting to 75 energy instead of 50 when swapping Attunement at a certain threshold. This is a very frequently used Revenant trait for a reason: It's super fun and rewarding.
  • The Elite Augment could then be made into an Upkeep and have some other functionality. For a long time Elementalist has been needing a shorter CD elite, and this could be a neat opportunity.
  • Conjures would be very interesting with a Revenant-style energy system, since the bundles do not cost energy. This could potentially allow a Catalyst a buffer of time to "regen" their Mana up to 100, and then unleash a powerful chain of skills when their Conjure is finished.
  • The theme of this Expack is Elite Specs that borrow mechanics from other professions, such as Specter borrowing from Necro, and Willbender being like a blue Thief. I think Revenant is the perfect class for Catalyst to borrow mechanics from due to the possibilities of the Energy mechanic.
Edited by Kain Francois.4328

With the rate at which you can swap attunments on elementalist I wonder if your not suggesting that's extremly OP (We are talking about an average of 20 pt of energy generated per second just by swaping attunment and without the arcan traitline). The devs would probably "balance" that with a global CD on attunment swap which we would all hate. And the worse is that in the end it would still be a weird crossbreed of Tempest and Weaver (except that it would end up having more of the weaver's flaws).

The idea is attractive but I think you missed some balance points when thinking about it.

Personnally, I think there is 2 issues to the catalyst:

- The focus on generating aura (which, with how heavy it is, basically make or break the spec)

- What they put on F5 (The aoe on F5 is boring and remind to much of Tempest's overloads even if they do slightly different things. Both Hammer#3 and Augments would have been more fun to have on F5 than the boring aoe.)

I'd rather have to keep up bolt around me through an energy management that become increasingly heavier as there are more bolts than having a poor excuse of a field on F5 because "hammer don't have fields to make it different from other weapons" and "generating aura is fun so we give you a field in which you will be able to combo with the hammer" (Except that generating auras isn't fun and being force into having my whole gameplay revolving around this idea is even less fun).

kitten 😂 half the forums are setting emselves on fire accusing the new elites of being recycled and uninspired and your posting about making catalyst play like core revenant 😂😂 

I'm not sure copy and pasting proffessions over one another would be a strong idea long term. Although given the circumstances I could understand why you'd ask for such with catalyst. 

Although if this does get seen, I want rev to get elementalist attunements in elite swapsies 

Having a different skill bar for every legend we have could be pretty kitten cool 

Edited by Daddy.8125

3 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

kitten 😂 half the forums are setting emselves on fire accusing the new elites of being recycled and uninspired and your posting about making catalyst play like core revenant 😂😂 

I'm not sure copy and pasting proffessions over one another would be a strong idea long term. Although given the circumstances I could understand why you'd ask for such with catalyst. 

Elite specs have always been recycled class mechanics. Anyone who didn't realize until now wasn't paying attention.

Edited by Vinteros Asteano.1209

Just now, Vinteros Asteano.1209 said:

Elite specs have always been recycled class mechanics. Anyone who didn't realize until now wasn't paying attention.

I'd say it's been more obvious this time round with things like thief getting shroud. 

I can't see em going this deep this time round. But it'd be cool to see a expansion ebere every elite inherits this much of a proffession/elite into it.

Warriors getting stances which work like Firebrands tomes could be cool, every weapon getting a offensive, defensive and balanced skillset as a example