Untamed: What should this Spec bring to the table for Ranger?

adriancool.8962

Untamed to function as “frontline” in wvw, which is the big game mode missing a collaborative build: 

* Bunker capabilities. This goes too for the pet. 
* Bring tools  for the team.
* Cleave.
*  A differentiating design, if possible using ranger core mechanics (companions)

now it would be interesting if anet could achieve those goals by using some of the  ranger mechanics (companions or  range) 

in wvw it does not exists a position which only does one role. There are two positions right now: frontline and back line. And each position needs to bring something more  than just damage. 

i would just ask to do something similar to what I wrote in below thread, it brings all of it using what is already there. 
 I am not very sure yet on how the hp exchange thing would work on a Zerg setting, but I am convinced it is better than current designs in any case.

It's obvious: CC, boon rip and cleave (hits 5 with hammer but also look at every ambush). This is unlike spellbreaker which is just boon rip on CC.

I would not say sustain because 10% damage to healing is only going to go so far compared to soulbeast with a poison output triggering  Predator's Cunning on top of merged Natural Healing.

Soulbeast is the DPS / offensive support (see stanceshare especially with moa stance) and druid is the defensive support (heals mainly but also 10 man might).

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Untamed to function as “frontline” in wvw, which is the big game mode missing a collaborative build: 

* Bunker capabilities. This goes too for the pet. 
* Bring tools  for the team.
* Cleave.
*  A differentiating design, if possible using ranger core mechanics (companions)

now it would be interesting if anet could achieve those goals by using some of the  ranger mechanics (companions or  range) 

in wvw it does not exists a position which only does one role. There are two positions right now: frontline and back line. And each position needs to bring something more  than just damage. 

i would just ask to do something similar to what I wrote in below thread, it brings all of it using what is already there. 
 I am not very sure yet on how the hp exchange thing would work on a Zerg setting, but I am convinced it is better than current designs in any case.

I am not a PvP/WvW player and I really dislike how it feels so below average in PvE. They removed the negative dmg buff which is good and added ambush. 

But in PvE it feels lackluster and Ambush feels like an added DPS-Modifier. So that's one reason I am quite confused. Isn't more focused on absorbing dmg ?

I would be happy if the ambush skills would offer sth more unique that PvE can use, so at least it has place in some fun off-meta builds in fractals/strike/raids.

Edited by adriancool.8962
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, adriancool.8962 said:

They removed the negative dmg buff which is good and added ambush. 

I dislike plain modifiers like +-10% damage in traits. It makes me feel like the traitline is very bland. Also i don't think for ranger a plain modifier will do anything in the grand scheme of things unless is something like a  +-50%. 

Soulblast does work because of the sheer amount of those it can get when all the specific events aling (having fuy, just CC'ed an enemy, having maul buff on, pre-casting the elite, having the utility skill available). 

So that's one reason I am quite confused. Isn't more focused on absorbing dmg ?

Untamed is trying to play both sides, which is achievable by swapping the goo. But they need to do it better in both extremes: when the ranger is bunkering it needs to be able to bunker, while it goes into glassy state it needs to deal damage. 

Right now  it does none because of lack of compromisse in both states. 

32 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Imo untamed should have got the alacrity share option instead of willbender.

Sadly it is not for the moment. Guardian did not need more boon sharing, it has already monopolized that area of the game. 
I don't see it as bad thing thou, having that utility would only shoehorn untamed into one specific build and it would be used just for that: An alacrity bot. 

But still if Anet would move the Perilous_Gift to be an utility and be able to share the buff with up to 5 allies it would make a very nice addition and an unique shared buff. Heals or barrier at the end, both would be fine. 
Having the exploding spores as heal utility and each behave like Lesser_Seed_of_Life would be nice  for the squad too. And if all those cantrips would be able to get CD reductions based in specific conditions would be even better even if teh base CD is increased to balance so those are meant to be used with more allies. 

The alacrity thing could be done by Fervent_Force sharing the CD reduction in a small radius around the untamed (something like Leader_of_the_Pack radius) . As we already talked, ranger will only have access to 3 CCs in the best case scenario (hammer + GS) and in WvW is a 2 or 3s reduction by application. l effect like a shockwave everytime it triggers would be nice so other player (friendlies and foes) understand what is going on. I don't think that could break anything unless you put together a full party of untamed coordinating between them. 

Edited by anduriell.6280