Dragon's End Meta is great!...but

So I want to open up this by saying that I think the Dragons End Meta fight is really well done. It's mechanics are easy to understand throughout the course of the fight (at least, you know, after greens were fixed). It requires coordination but has a decent amount of leeway, so you can correct for mistakes midway through. Theoretically it's something that could be dealt with on a maps very first try if everyone's paying attention and learning from their mistakes.

The problem is right now that's only in theory, as there's a big issue with the final part of the fight which can get in the way of even the most experienced groups with this fight, and that is RNG. Namely two 'attacks'. The first is the Body swipe move. Though this only lasts a short time, the lack of a cooldown on this move makes it possible for it to be spammed again and again by the boss, sometimes stalling out what should have been a successful fight. The other is the Tail Summon. The damage reduction on boss from this and the effect it brings to the fight is fine. But, again, it's able to be spammed far too often by the boss. While this could be fixed by giving it a cooldown or making it once per phase. I think the better solution to this would actually be to make it that taking out tail inflicts damage to the boss itself. Nothing major, just something like 5%. Because, well, you're still hitting the boss, so it makes sense for them to take damage from it, and gameplay wise this means you don't just get walled out by constant tail-spam since you're still working on their health bar if you're clearing tail.

There is a third issue with the fight, but this one is really really minor. The damage buff for wisp returning starts when you return and has a flat 2 minute duration. This can mean if you're really fast up there but someone lags behind or doesn't make it up, you can easily lose a third of that buff time to them. Which feels kinda like a punishment for a mastery of the mechanics. My recommendation for this is just make it that players get a flag on them for making it up which triggers the buff AFTER the boss becomes attackable. Or simply adding the remaining time for the wisp to the duration of their buff. though, as mentioned, this one is very minor, and unlike the other two won't end up causing a loss. Just a little thing to make people good with wisps feel better about it.

Edited by Caberea.8139
  • Like 6

THIS entirely sums up all of the issues that I've been seeing for the Dragon's End Meta. Simple design fixes would be as followed:

- Timer between Cross-Platform Invulnerability Jumps (several events failed because of THIS alone)
- Limit the number of times Tail spawns (Killing Tail only to have it revive literally 5 seconds later is a kitten feeling). 

Heck, I'd even be so bold and to suggest the Tail spawns at the beginning of every phase past the first phase (100-80%) just to get people into the habit of switching targets to the tail. I've seen several meta events where players didn't see a single Tail spawn from 100-40%, and when the tail DOES finally spawn people don't target it at all. 

But yes, this thread 1000%, the whole reason this Meta has been so frustrating is the amount of RNG in the boss's attack pattern. 

Edited by AlphaWolvesGamer.5790
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Necrosian.1359 said:

Five switches in a row on last 5% what kind a kitten is this? Who though this was a good idea?

I think I've gotten you beat on kitten RNG.

- 19 Tails and only 1 Break Bar (Edit: 3 Break Bars if we include the Break Bars that triggered while Tail was active and we couldn't break in time) - We made it to 21%

Edited by AlphaWolvesGamer.5790

1 hour ago, AlphaWolvesGamer.5790 said:

I think I've gotten you beat on kitten RNG.

- 19 Tails and only 1 Break Bar (Edit: 3 Break Bars if we include the Break Bars that triggered while Tail was active and we couldn't break in time) - We made it to 21%

Looks fair and balanced /s

• Like 1