Steam release and Steam Deck compatibility

So, i know a few simulare topics already exist but most of them ar quite old at this point and i just stumblet across this Video i just had to share. Some absolute legend on Youtube testet GW2 on the Steam Deck and it looks like it runs like a charm. Since the announced Steam release of the game is long overdue i figured it would be a huge missed opportunity to drop GW2 on Steam without capitalising on this . It looks like the engine already runs fine in Proton so the only thing between the Game and that juicy, green "Verified" checkmark would be propper controller support with inputs, glyphs and automatic on screen keyboard in text chat and search bars.

Please let me emphasize what a huge chance this is could be as all 3 big competitors that are on Steam, Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy XIV and even Lost Ark, are listet as "not compatible", with the Steam Deck, which would make GW2 easily the Number 1 MMORPG on the Steam Deck. Also there is a lot of overlap with a faily "casual" audiance for handheld gamers and GW2 players. And once the work is done even other platforms could benitit from it, i'm not necessarily talking about consols but GeForce NOW, which Anet just recently pluged in a blogpost, for example is also available on  Smart TVs and could make for a great couch gaming experience.

But, even more importat would be a few touchups on the games systems and UI, especially in the early game, otherwise the Steam release might even turn to the games detriment. Please Anet don't botch this. An opportunity like this want come up ever again.

Edited by Glott.7239
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Glott.7239 said:

i just stumblet across this Video i just had to share. Some absolute legend on Youtube testet GW2 on the Steam Deck and it looks like it runs like a charm.

Absolute legend on youtube?  The channel has 15 subscribers.   🙂  That aside, yes I think Anet should move forward with the Steam release.  I think it would bring in a lot of new players.

• Confused 4

5 minutes ago, JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Absolute legend on youtube?  The channel has 15 subscribers.   🙂

I know, it's a saying. Anyway, i think it's also every intresting that a Video from such a small channel testing a , let's face it, only "semi popular mmo" already reached almost 8k views maybe the Youtube algorithm just decided to push this video because thats where i got it from, but that could be because there has to be at least some demand for it.

The Steam release also scares me a bit. I fear if the game releases in it's current state new players might just get frustrated and overwhelmed with not knowing what to do. They might than simpely resort to review bombing and move on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've been thinking about this for some time, am really glad to hear its interacting well with Proton. For the longest time I did ponder if they would consider Guild Wars 1 on Mobile Devices, but the Steam Deck is an amazing opportunity for Guild Wars 2 alongside the Steam release.

The addition of support for things like controllers for example will probably make an insane impact, I have friends who despite having moved to PC gaming over 6 years ago still struggle with Mouse and Keyboard compared to controller. Assuming Arenanet would also be willing to support things such as a Mount Wheel for summoning your mount, I think it could be amazing for the game.

The fact the Steam Deck is also touch screen will also help with certain issues I imagine ^^