Problems with dragonhunter and thiefs on vindi

freyKEROLAIN.8640

Hi all. I play on the vindicator. I have a problem - I don't know how to fight 1vs1 on points against a dragonhunter. I also have this problem with thiefs and don't know how to act, as they have high mobility and good damage. I use the alliance and assassin. Maybe I should change spec? Give some advice on this stuff, please!

It is a specialization limitation, dont fight with them, when i play DH  or has a damage/condi FB i just need to wait and see where the vindicator gona land and interrupt it then melt it with lots of burn and damage.

As DH its similiar, just wait  till he  jumps and drop all traps since it will aim for the DH... its a jump to hell..

A thief just needs to use Basilisk Venom and then "auto atack" vindicator to death after vindicator jump.

The only way ic to counter them is try to be more mobile in combat and less predictive.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

I don’t have much issue against Thieves. Dh is a little trickier but I used to main it, so I know them inside and out.

I find Jalis/Shiro to be stronger against both of these profs rather than alliance/Shiro.

Put energy/cleansing on both weapon sets. I use GS/S+S but GS/Staff is strong as well.

Against both of these specs makes sure you are swapping stances and swapping weapons often. This will cleanse the burning and poisons that they use frequently so the damage doesn’t add up. This also gives you plenty of dodges as well as the barrier from dwarf stance.

Against both of these specs you also want to use line of sight. Get something between you and the DH, especially if you’re tethered by the DH. Against thieves, put your back against a wall or a ledge.

I dodge often against thieves, and use dwarf hammers a lot. Against DH I save my dodges until you get caught in their traps. If you get caught in the traps you want to dodge, then immediately go into your GS block (or staff block/evade).

Against thieves you want to auto attack and dodge with hammers until they stealth and run away. Once you see them reappear, you want to swap to Shiro and Sword+Sword, phase traversal over to them and use unrelenting assault (sword 3) with impossible odds up followed by sword 2. Often this alone will kill them. 

Against DH I find that you can just keep chunking them with greatsword attacks, save your energy for Shiro stunbreak in case they drop traps at your feet. (which if you can hit dodge fast enough you can avoid entirely)

Use sword 2 and greatsword 3 often to keep them chilled. Use sword 5 and phase traversal to stay on top of them. Once they’ve used their big block you can use phase traversal+Greatsword 5 and impossible odds to burst them down. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tulkas.2576 said:

I don’t have much issue against Thieves. Dh is a little trickier but I used to main it, so I know them inside and out.

I find Jalis/Shiro to be stronger against both of these profs rather than alliance/Shiro.

Put energy/cleansing on both weapon sets. I use GS/S+S but GS/Staff is strong as well.

Against both of these specs makes sure you are swapping stances and swapping weapons often. This will cleanse the burning and poisons that they use frequently so the damage doesn’t add up. This also gives you plenty of dodges as well as the barrier from dwarf stance.

Against both of these specs you also want to use line of sight. Get something between you and the DH, especially if you’re tethered by the DH. Against thieves, put your back against a wall or a ledge.

I dodge often against thieves, and use dwarf hammers a lot. Against DH I save my dodges until you get caught in their traps. If you get caught in the traps you want to dodge, then immediately go into your GS block (or staff block/evade).

Against thieves you want to auto attack and dodge with hammers until they stealth and run away. Once you see them reappear, you want to swap to Shiro and Sword+Sword, phase traversal over to them and use unrelenting assault (sword 3) with impossible odds up followed by sword 2. Often this alone will kill them. 

Against DH I find that you can just keep chunking them with greatsword attacks, save your energy for Shiro stunbreak in case they drop traps at your feet. (which if you can hit dodge fast enough you can avoid entirely)

Use sword 2 and greatsword 3 often to keep them chilled. Use sword 5 and phase traversal to stay on top of them. Once they’ve used their big block you can use phase traversal+Greatsword 5 and impossible odds to burst them down. 

Thank you so much for the rotation! Can you tell me - which dodge I should use against them? I used dodge Forerunner of Death

12 hours ago, freyKEROLAIN.8640 said:

I’m using Forrunen with a devastation spec, should I change this to play with Saint of zu heltzer?

it will help you in 1v1 situations. Forerunner has nice synergy with battle dance from the vuln stacks but because you need to use your dodge offensively you are pretty defenceless. Particularly against classes like thief and ranged specs like DH because you get you sustain from staying on target and doing damage via battle scars. 

You’ll have an easier time 1v1 against most classes if you play saint dodge, and an even easier time if you also use retribution 1/2/3 or 1/2/2 or 1/3/3 instead of devastation. Your damage will go down a fair amount, but you will probably stay alive longer and thus be able to do as much damage overall as well as earning more points for your team from holding node and not dying as often. 

Devastation vindicator is tons of fun though, so you may not enjoy retribution as much. 

• Thanks 1

Give this build a try. If you find yourself needing more endurance do slot Energy on both of your weapons to help with it.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAEZlZSMsTyjlSdMUijpSksSiglsUWsF-zZIPlGlA9KCCYIkwCwgDA

Always keep in mind that as Vindicator it's easy to force evades on players, do use that at your advantage to chain attacks they'll be forced to take, things like Spear are good at that.

Remember you have a lot of tools to prevent yourself from being decimated after evades too. Players do normally try to land their attacks at the end of evade which you can combine all kind of sustain skills with.

• Thanks 1