Any core ranger build for OW trying to unlock especs?

MisterG.3657

Browsing around I found everywhere the classic LB/GS sic'em build. Now on Metabattle there is one with S/A and no sic'em. I'm happy because I like variety but I'm new to ranger so I don't know how valid is that build.

Can someone confirm if it is actually any good?

Any suggestions otherwise on a good core build?

Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm aiming for as many core things as possible:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POhAMFlZwAZhsNGKOcL2r1Ke4E-zVIYRExXINFCRUAVkB2OLRMaB-w
Simple Power LB/GS build with raw damage. Sic'em can easily be swapped for anything else you prefer.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POxAUd/lVwsYTsP2JW6O7J1Kk+A-zVJYmRNfYUUBhpg/sExoF-w
Simple Condi SB/A+T build with bleed focus and increased tankiness. Any gear with condition damage should be fine for now if you can't get viper. Use weapon swap when you can and use SB 2 and T 5 as a first skill after swapping.

• Like 1

I would suggest to you this build, is similar from the condi version posted above but with some variations. 

Marsh Drake in my opinion offers a pretty good aoe active and it will be your main pet, using as a secondary Brown Bear against condis or Electric Wyvern for cc.

The optimal setup will be with full celestial but as a cheaper alternative rabid will do the job too, in this case replace superior sigil of earth for superior sigil of agony and fried golden dumpling with koi cake for more bleeding duration.

Protecting Me can replace Sharpening Stone in cases that youll need a stun break and some addded defenses.

I enjoy this even more than the soulbeast standard variant.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAc+VlVwsYTsQ2JWeP3L/Sc9IA-zxIY1o7vMirqiMVNYWCcaD-e

Sic'Em is not good on core ranger. Would recommend Signet of the Wild + Frost Trap and one defensive skill like Protect Me for a power build (or even frost spirit if you are doing grp events and such). Regarding weapons, sword/axe is the best dps weapon set for power builds, so yes, that would be a good option. Dual axe works too and you can pait either with GS (better sustained aoe dmg) or LB (better burst, ranged), depending on what you prefer.

Generally condi/hybrid tends to perform better on core tho, but i wouldn't worry too much about a perfect build and invest into gear you might not use later, since it will be for temporary use as i understand (and core is never optimal anyway). Power will be good enough if that's the type of build you want to focus on later. And it's also easier to get gear for.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Sic'Em is not good on core ranger. Would recommend Signet of the Wild + Frost Trap and one defensive skill like Protect Me for a power build (or even frost spirit if you are doing grp events and such). Regarding weapons, sword/axe is the best dps weapon set for power builds, so yes, that would be a good option. Dual axe works too and you can pait either with GS (better sustained aoe dmg) or LB (better burst, ranged), depending on what you prefer.

Generally condi/hybrid tends to perform better on core tho, but i wouldn't worry too much about a perfect build and invest into gear you might not use later, since it will be for temporary use as i understand (and core is never optimal anyway). Power will be good enough if that's the type of build you want to focus on later. And it's also easier to get gear for.

Sic em is pretty good on core with the right pets, drakes and smokescale are good.

No it's not. Sure you can go for some meme shenanigans in PvP/WvW (i have done so with drakes, jaguar and beta smokescale), but it's just that - a meme one-trick pony. Not actually good. And in PvE focusing on the rangers dmg output instead of the pet is always better, because in relation the pet's dmg output is minor (unless the player is bad/has a bad build).

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 1

Thank you good people. Those builds are helpful and a hybrid/condi build sounds fun.

I also like traps and the shortbow so it looks like I might find something that I enjoy. Also having boosted to 80 I received a celestial eq that I think it was mentioned as being very good for at least one of those.

Thank you again, I have now something to try that makes sense 🙂