Harbinger Underwater Shroud Skill Bugs--incorrect skill activates for Shroud 4, Shroud 3 movement doesn't work

When underwater as harbinger, there are a couple different bugs with the shroud skills:

Shroud 3, Devouring Cut: this skill is supposed to move you 600 distance. It works fine when out of the water, but in the water the movement doesn't work. Instead of moving you 600, it will barely push you forwards a bit (often making you move slower than just normally swimming). This problem seems to stem from something related to how underwater momentum is handled. As-is, this skill is only worth ever activating underwater if you are already on top of your target--which, for a movement skill, isn't ideal. One potential fix would be making the underwater shroud 3 different from the on-land one, then make the movement function like Trident 3 (the movement of which works well).

HarbShroud 3: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Devouring_Cut

Trident 3 (example of an underwater movement skill that works on necro): https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Foul_Current

Shroud 4, "Voracious Dive": So, this bug is especially interesting. The skill shows the icon for the skill "Voracious Dive" (EDIT: the icon is the same as Gathering Plague, it is the tooltip that is different), but the tooltip varies by a few factors and the actual skill used is the same one as normal necromancer shroud 4 when underwater. The tooltip for Voracious Dive describes a skill that matches the spirit of its on-land counterpart, Voracious Arc. It describes a shadowstep attack to the target. When you Shift/Ctrl+click the skill to link it in chat, however, Gathering Plague (which is the underwater shroud 4 for Core Necro) is the skill that links. When you activate the skill, the functionality is that of Gathering Plague--if you're not near allies, all that happens is you give yourself Weakness; there is no mention of weakness in the Voracious Dive tooltip. The tooltip that shows is sometimes Voracious Dive and sometimes Gathering Plague; it seems like Voracious Dive might only show while out of combat, whereas Gathering Plague usually shows while in combat or just after using the skill. There do not seem to be any circumstances in which the Voracious Dive skill actually activates--instead, it is just Gathering Plague. 

HarbShroud 4 underwater: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Voracious_Dive 

Bugged HarbShroud 4 underwater, Necro Shroud 4 underwater: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gathering_Plague 

Edited by ZTeamG.4603
Added clarification and trident 3 link; corrected that the skill icon is not different from Core Shroud 4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there! I'm not @ZTeamG.4603, but I was able to reproduce the bug:

1. Go underwater with a Harbinger
  2. Enter Harbinger Shroud
  3. Mouse over skill Shroud 4 (https://imgur.com/a/TwMkAjC - 1st image). Note that the skill icon shows the same skill as Death Shroud 4 underwater.
  4. Shift+Click on Shroud 4 so that it appears on the dialogue
  5. Mouse over [Gathering Plague] (https://imgur.com/a/TwMkAjC - 2nd image)

As you can see it seems the wrong skill (Death Shroud 4 underwater) is being used here, despite the tooltip describing a different skill (Harbinger Shroud 4 underwater) altoghether.

Thanks for looking into it!

• Like 1

@Double Tap Hello, thanks for looking into this. It can be a little weird to reproduce since you have to be out of combat in shroud for the Voracious Dive tooltip to show. In addition to what Uete mentioned above, I have a video here showing me going through the reproduction of the bug (and showing the difference when in and out of combat). The first ~5 seconds are where I show the Voracious Dive tooltip showing up when out of combat while in shroud, but every activation of the skill is Gathering Plague (just gives weakness in the absence of enemies, does not interact with the targeted enemy). I've heard from one user that maybe it isn't bugged in the EU server, but I have no way to verify that. I'm on NA and as far as I know this bug has been here since EoD launch. Thanks again for looking into this!

Steps:

-Go underwater and enter harbinger shroud while out of combat

-Mouse over shroud skill 4 to see the tooltip. It should show Voracious Dive

-Shift+Click shroud 4 and it will link "Gathering Plague" in the chat

-Activate shroud skill 4, preferably with an enemy targeted (and if you can, a condi-inflicted ally beside you). The activated skill will be Gathering Plague and it will do nothing to the enemy.

-Go in combat (or go out of shroud and reactivate it while in combat). 

-Mouse over shroud skill 4. If you are in combat, it will show Gathering Plague.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I was wrong about the skill icon being different, it is the same skill icon as Core Necromancer's underwater shroud 4 (Gathering Plague, the skill that activates in place of Voracious Dive). The tooltip is definitely different, though, and the activated skill doesn't match the Voracious Dive tooltip.

Edited by ZTeamG.4603
Added clarification about the skill icon mentioned in the original post
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I do not intend to add insult to injury, but this "bug" now exists for more than a year (when you include the EoD beta) and has been reported repeatedly and continously throughout this time. There are multiple threads in this very forum dedicated exclusively to pointing out this bug in detail. It took a year to be officially aknowledged. Yet for some arcane reason, it is never fixed...

How come though it isn't simply fixed? The skill exists in the tooltip, so from that we can infer that at least one person at Anet was working on it and it exists at least conceptually. Did that person get fired/leave the company? Are all dev resources occupied by other stuff?

I have no clue about the back end of game development, but certainly it shouldn't be that difficult to implement a 900 range shadow step with a stun (since that is basically just like using "Steal" underwater, which works perfectly fine)?

It would be nice to at least have a reason for why this bug still is part of the game after more than a year time to fix it.

Not a good look for a game of GW2's stature to just leave it like that.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...