Make Scrapper Gyros like Ventari's Tablet

mootshell.8530

Some of you may remember the old Scrapper Gyros - admittedly janky, but they properly conveyed the feeling of having a fleet of tiny gyrocopters at your disposal. The change to being wells centered on the player is a definitive step up in terms of usability and quality of life. However, while I wouldn't go back to the minion-like functionality and poor pathing of the old Scrapper Gyros, I feel as though some of Scrapper's class fantasy was lost with the change.

But I think there's a new happy medium between old Scrapper Gyros and the new ones - the reworked Revenant's 'Ventari's Tablet'. The new Ventari's Tablet feels fantastic to move around. It's fast, it's responsive, and most importantly, it feels like you're actively controlling an object you've summoned - like I would imagine Scrapper Gyros to feel like.

Here's the small change I'm proposing:

1. Gyro Wells are now ground-targeted. While deployed, Gyro Wells can be repositioned on a 0.25s cooldown similar to Ventari's Tablet.
  2. Gyro Wells keep their existing durations. After their durations expire, they are destroyed as usual and go on cooldown. Their duration is subtracted from their cooldowns so that it still takes the same amount of time between uses.

This change may require a little bit of adjustment to the durations and strength of the gyros' effects to improve the feel of them, but I won't be the one to suggest specifics there. If you want an idea what this change would feel like, I urge you to load up a Revenant with Centaur Stance right now.

Edited by mootshell.8530
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, mootshell.8530 said:

Some of you may remember the old Scrapper Gyros - admittedly janky, but they properly conveyed the feeling of having a fleet of tiny gyrocopters at your disposal. The change to being wells centered on the player is a definitive step up in terms of usability and quality of life. However, while I wouldn't go back to the minion-like functionality and poor pathing of the old Scrapper Gyros, I feel as though some of Scrapper's class fantasy was lost with the change.

But I think there's a new happy medium between old Scrapper Gyros and the new ones - the reworked Revenant's 'Ventari's Tablet'. The new Ventari's Tablet feels fantastic to move around. It's fast, it's responsive, and most importantly, it feels like you're actively controlling an object you've summoned - like I would imagine Scrapper Gyros to feel like.

Here's the small change I'm proposing:

1. Gyro Wells are now ground-targeted. While deployed, Gyro Wells can be repositioned on a 0.25s cooldown similar to Ventari's Tablet.
  2. Gyro Wells keep their existing durations. After their durations expire, they are destroyed as usual and go on cooldown. Their duration is subtracted from their cooldowns so that it still takes the same amount of time between uses.

This change may require a little bit of adjustment to the durations and strength of the gyros' effects to improve the feel of them, but I won't be the one to suggest specifics there. If you want an idea what this change would feel like, I urge you to load up a Revenant with Centaur Stance right now.

I wonder if devs add option whether you want to place them on the ground or stick them to your character as Well?

As 5kh hqs (heal quicknes scrapper) i wuld like if thay stay as thay are

-> on fractals/drms gyros on you allowing you to cast your boons while moving (as combo fields are moving with you) thats also good synergy with superspeed allowing your party to keep pushing forward witchout the stop

-> on raids/stikes i also like that function as it's allowing me to focus on mechanics more racher then constantly changing location of my gyros, tablet like gyros wuld be pain in the kitten on moments wher your party need split or move

i like your idea, but outside of open word it wuld be negative change and criple scrapper mobility that his offer to his party

-> if i culd add 2 cets here yet, i racher wuld focus on chaning gyross effects insted like 

bulwark gyro -> in pve only pull enemys up to you insted of lauch

bulwark gyro -> remove  incial personal barrier, then make pulsing barrier aoe, and buff by 100% (as we removed that 2k barrier from start)

shreder and purge gyros are fine 

-> you got also mechanist as elit spec wher you got "full" controlable robot, maybe that will allow you to feel niche your searching for

take to that racial skills from asuras, and you have your rp golemancer army

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430

I agree with @Noah Salazar.5430, the current version will be way more user friendly and useful in general.

Especially the superspeed aspect is important. Currently, you are perfectly capable of running with a zerg and providing superspeed to the players around you. This will be really annoying if you have to constantly reposition your gyros to keep up with the zerg.

And the aspect that you can focus on mechanics while using them is also pretty big.

I suppose you could have the best of both worlds, making them follow you on initial cast and moving to the specified location on recast. Would be a nice touch, not sure if it might be too overpowered though because it adds a lot of safety to using them (e.g. being able to send a gyro around the corner to attack enemies in PvP while you're out of LoS).

Another approach would be if you have the AoE still tied to your hitbox, meaning if you cast it a bit away from you and then run, the AoE would keep following you at that range (regardless of the character turning) like a persistent PBAoE field that actually is not point blank. If you keep the casting range to the well radius then, it would be a combination of convenience (guaranteed to always be in range) and flexibility (able to reposition them but only in a small radius).