Why are people not aware of Beta WvW Guild selection?

17 hours ago, Voyant.1327 said:

Well summarized.

Tbh all they need to do is a red notification on the WvW page like they do with the Guild or Trading Post.

Forces players to actively dismiss it, aka at least look at it. In game mail would be encouraged but just a red exclamation would do the trick.

I suspect that it's because it's a beta they haven't done a whole lot of polishing but this beta replaces the live server content, so I think that they need to do this before the next beta takes place. It's really just a matter of courtesy to the player base.

It's known for a long time now that most players do not come to the forums or social media channels regularly or at all. So really, this needs to be communicated in game.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 7:44 AM, Chichimec.9364 said:

I've actually been wondering the same thing myself. There's Twitter, reddit, YouTube, the forum, the wiki, the loading screen, and more. Heck, there's even a FB page. There may be people who check all of those but there are likely also people who breeze right past all of them. So even if Anet put something on every possible media, there are probably still folks who would miss it.

I would bet that 90% of the players don't look up GW2 news on Reddit, FB, Youtube, the forum, the Wiki, or even the loading screen. ANet should have sent an in-game email.  Or a popup when you enter WvW. Anything that doesn't require constantly checking outside sources, especially for time-sensitive information.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, misterman.1530 said:

I would bet that 90% of the players don't look up GW2 news on Reddit, FB, Youtube, the forum, the Wiki, or even the loading screen. ANet should have sent an in-game email.  Or a popup when you enter WvW. Anything that doesn't require constantly checking outside sources, especially for time-sensitive information.

Yes, the lack of in-game mail is baffling.  

I'm hoping at some point you will be able to dynamically relink yourself with your guild just by representing it.  Otherwise, I'm unsure how this works for people with multiple guilds--unless you are going to have to choose a single 'WvW guild' that you can't change for some period of time?

Essentially 'guild selection' shouldn't even be a thing.  Or at least just have it so whatever guild you are representing when beta goes live is the guild you get matched with--sure this is still prone to error if you had like a personal guild selected or something but at least it isn't an entirely separate window for no reason.  

• Like 2

Repeating myself from previous beta phases: 

If you really care about WvW, you would have had plenty of ways to notice that a beta-week was coming up. 

Just as already mentioned:

Server-Community (and their respective platforms like discord/forums/comm-guilds/whatever), social media (fb, twitter etc)

your own guild (if it´s even remotely involved in WvW) etc.

7 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Yes, the lack of in-game mail is baffling.  

totally aggree. Should be an easy task to even automate (it works with every content release and story-step too), especially since ANet is currently working on a system to automate beta-phases

7 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

sure this is still prone to error if you had like a personal guild selected or somethin

there is A LOT of potential for mistakes if you do it like that. The moment that you are active in 2 or more guilds, there is a extremely high chance that you accidentally represent the wrong guild. Also, different characters may represent different guilds for reasons (especially if you have dedicated PvE/sPvP/WvW/Roleplay -Characters). How should the system judge which guild to use for team creation?

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

there is A LOT of potential for mistakes if you do it like that. The moment that you are active in 2 or more guilds, there is a extremely high chance that you accidentally represent the wrong guild. Also, different characters may represent different guilds for reasons (especially if you have dedicated PvE/sPvP/WvW/Roleplay -Characters). How should the system judge which guild to use for team creation?

I don't disagree that mistakes can happen with player representing the guild they want to be matched with, I just think it is less error prone than manually selecting one on some separate screen.  If you know the beta is coming (which we agree should be a mail notice at least) then just represent the guild you want to be matched with the night before when you log off.  

Now again, this would just be a 'beta' thing for me.  Later I'd really hope they have a dynamic system where it just re-matches you with any guild you select at any time instead of being locked down to a single 'WvW guild' for 1 week ~ 2 months.  

On 8/13/2022 at 5:07 AM, ManiacMika.9851 said:

I see so many people confused that they are in a random team, not with their guild anymore etc.

Why is this happening?
Why are people not aware of that tab, that was advertised on July 26?
If you do WvW, if you have a WvW Guild, how could you possibly have missed this info that's being repeated over and over?
Could ArenaNet have advertised it better?
Why are people not aware of the scope of this beta, that it's mostly things not visible to players that are being monitored?
Why are people not understanding how a Team and an Alliance and a Guild work?
Why are people making me nervous by not only being ignorant, but being outraged that they are being ignorant?

I'm truly wondering what could have be done better?

Let's be honest here. You came and posted with the intent to start an argument, calling people ignorant over something that triggered you. Maybe you should stop asking silly questions like this and start asking yourself why Anet has no problems advertising new items in the Gem store, but can't effectively alert their players to an important upcoming BETA in a game mode that has been needing a serious update for YEARS! ONE post in the forums and everyone was supposed to know? Almost makes me think it was intentional and Anet didn't want people to know.