which class?

17 hours ago, stormemperor.3745 said:

TLDR: All of them

Regardless of what weapon you use, you have to be close to target because thats how boons works in this game.

Longbow with 1500 range? better fire at 50 range.

Instead if melee/ranged I'll give some information about cleave which is what you want for openworld.

Necromancer is top at cleave thanks Reaper spec, you go shroud spin, bash enemies at close range. Thanks to recent balance update Staff necromancer is also perfect for cleave. You get 4 skills with low cooldowns that can hit 5 enemies withing 300 radius with skill range of 1200. Can be use melee/ranged it is absolutely the best weapon for openworld right now. 

You want berserker/assassin mixed stats for this build because anet nerfed crit chance.

I am reaper main for openworld for about 2k+ hours. I played other classes too but reaper is the best one for casuals.

Enemy too far and spread out? Pull them to you. Greatsword 5 and Spectral Grasp

Pull is on cd? Charge to them instead. Shroud 2

Overwhelmed by crowd? Fear them and they will run away. Staff 5 and shroud 3

You like shroud? You can change your specs to stay in shroud nearly all time.

You may have problem with conditions. Simply use staff 4.

i tried Necro but we did not fall in love with each other :)

maybe a bit of monologue xD (might be wrong, but those feelings I personally have)

- necro - as mentioned above - did not fall in love

- warrior - I played that class during first years of GW2 and whole GW1, but now can't convince myself to come back to it (maybe because I have read too many negative comments about it on this forum)

- guardian - my understanding is there will be always expectation to provide support/a bit to close to paladin

- revenant - i have played a bit (almost 50 lvl), but I did not see the spark and reading comments on this forum, my understating it is the elite specs are more support'ish?

is there something wrong with me I can't find satisfying class for myself? o.O 

Edited by Zbysier.3425

Weapons sets also make a huge difference within a class.
For melee, I prefer high mobility and fast attacks. In this case, I love Mirage, Spellbreaker, and Thief.
Mirage I use Axe/Pistol + Staff. Most of the time you can stay in melee range with Axe with little danger.
Spellbreaker is Dagger/Axe + Mace/Dagger. Might Makes Right and Sun and Moon style for good sustain. 
Thief I like Dagger/Dagger's speed and acrobatic style. Stealth to backstab and to stay alive.

• Like 1

I do not want to start new topic basically about the same, but would you be able, in some way, to convince me to play either warrior or guardian? I can't decide. 

What i am aiming is OW/story (maybe once I get better with class other modes of PvE). What I am looking for is decent DPS with ability to survive most of the content without dying. 

Just try guardian.

You'll be surprised, I'm sure.

Run Greatsword and Sword+Focus for good AoE access. Your initial trait lines for damage are Zeal and Radiance.

Greatsword has a very intuitive combo for clearing mobs, consisting of GS5 (twice) to pull, enemies in, GS3 to blind them and then GS4 and GS2 for massive damage.

For your utilities you can take Bane Signet, Smite Condition, Sword of Justice and Feel My Wrath.

Smite Condition is a good condition cleanse that deals extra damage around you when you use it with a condition on yourself. Bane Signet is a general DPS increase with the extra power but against enemies with a defiance bar, the active portion is also very potent. Sword of Justice is just a general DPS option, swap it out flexibly for whatever you need in the moment. Feel My Wrath provides you with Quickness and most importantly Fury which is important on a power build.

While leveling up, focus on selecting gear with power, precision and ferocity from the rewards - with the priority being precision > power > ferocity. If you struggle with surviving, opting for power/toughness/vitality is okay too.

For runes/sigils, ignore them until you reach 80 and then try to get your hands on Superior Rune of the Pack which is great for its additional boons and precision in PvE. Superior Rune of the Fireworks is great too but more pricy.

When unlocking the third traitline at level 71 you can slot in whatever traitline you like into the third one. They all have some goodies but are not massive contributors to your offense and contribute to your utility options as much as your damage. Both Dragonhunter and Willbender are great replacements for this one once you fully unlocked them in order to fully transform into damage.

Build suggestion: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAEx3lFwmYeMEGJO0L+pXA-zRIURU/PCqHAA-e

Unlock traitlines in that order with your points.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Endaris.1452 said:

Just try guardian.

You'll be surprised, I'm sure.

Run Greatsword and Sword+Focus for good AoE access. Your initial trait lines for damage are Zeal and Radiance.

Greatsword has a very intuitive combo for clearing mobs, consisting of GS5 (twice) to pull, enemies in, GS3 to blind them and then GS4 and GS2 for massive damage.

For your utilities you can take Bane Signet, Smite Condition, Sword of Justice and Feel My Wrath.

Smite Condition is a good condition cleanse that deals extra damage around you when you use it with a condition on yourself. Bane Signet is a general DPS increase with the extra power but against enemies with a defiance bar, the active portion is also very potent. Sword of Justice is just a general DPS option, swap it out flexibly for whatever you need in the moment. Feel My Wrath provides you with Quickness and most importantly Fury which is important on a power build.

While leveling up, focus on selecting gear with power, precision and ferocity from the rewards - with the priority being precision > power > ferocity. If you struggle with surviving, opting for power/toughness/vitality is okay too.

For runes/sigils, ignore them until you reach 80 and then try to get your hands on Superior Rune of the Pack which is great for its additional boons and precision in PvE. Superior Rune of the Fireworks is great too but more pricy.

When unlocking the third traitline at level 71 you can slot in whatever traitline you like into the third one. They all have some goodies but are not massive contributors to your offense and contribute to your utility options as much as your damage. Both Dragonhunter and Willbender are great replacements for this one once you fully unlocked them in order to fully transform into damage.

Build suggestion: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAEx3lFwmYeMEGJO0L+pXA-zRIURU/PCqHAA-e

Unlock traitlines in that order with your points.

On 9/3/2022 at 12:37 AM, Zbysier.3425 said:

thanks 🙂 decided to give Guardian a chance

You won't be disappointed. There's so much flexibility between core, all elites, and weapons. I don't know what specific melee/style you enjoy; but Guardian do do it all between the elites. And YES, offer some of the best support if needed BUT DPS big time as well. Personally I love WB elite - it has less innate sustain but super fast, mobile, defensive n offensive n fun and melee say for maybe scepter. It does rely on burning a bit n is a great hybrid. It shares a lot of gear unless go full power with FB. Go with what Endris said; good info for beginner Guardian esp leveling. Elite choices are just that; you'll learn more/etc. each 3 can play very differently from the other which is good. Go get 'em out there

• Like 2

17 hours ago, EriskRedLemur.7153 said:

You won't be disappointed. There's so much flexibility between core, all elites, and weapons. I don't know what specific melee/style you enjoy; but Guardian do do it all between the elites. And YES, offer some of the best support if needed BUT DPS big time as well. Personally I love WB elite - it has less innate sustain but super fast, mobile, defensive n offensive n fun and melee say for maybe scepter. It does rely on burning a bit n is a great hybrid. It shares a lot of gear unless go full power with FB. Go with what Endris said; good info for beginner Guardian esp leveling. Elite choices are just that; you'll learn more/etc. each 3 can play very differently from the other which is good. Go get 'em out there

already trying :) I am finding Guardian "more smooth" in play than Warrior (I am trying both in the same time, just to have comparison) 

Revenant locks you into your utility skills, everything is preset according to which spirit you are on, you can only have two at a time. If you don't like micromanaging your skills that's a good choice.
Whichever you choose, test all the weapons and have an assortment for different situations no matter what you play.

All that being said, a warrior is a Warrior.

• Like 1

Rev is a different kind of gameplay and one that I found a bit hard to get used to.

A bit similar to warrior, revenant has a very dominant weapon set with sword/sword that is run on all power variants with other weapons leaning more towards utility options.

The lack of choices when it comes to utilities made it so that I don't actually like playing Rev without Herald very much, simply due to the lack of flexible access to even very basic boons like swiftness on other legends.

The limited skill and weapon options in conjunction with the energy system gives you a bit more depth but overall less options to finetune your build for specific challenges which I personally dislike.

Overall Rev is quite unique among GW2 classes, very much a matter of taste whether you like it or not but it definitely has some legends with good melee access and with swords and off-hand axe it can get into the brawl quite well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Endaris.1452 said:

Rev is a different kind of gameplay and one that I found a bit hard to get used to.

A bit similar to warrior, revenant has a very dominant weapon set with sword/sword that is run on all power variants with other weapons leaning more towards utility options.

The lack of choices when it comes to utilities made it so that I don't actually like playing Rev without Herald very much, simply due to the lack of flexible access to even very basic boons like swiftness on other legends.

The limited skill and weapon options in conjunction with the energy system gives you a bit more depth but overall less options to finetune your build for specific challenges which I personally dislike.

Overall Rev is quite unique among GW2 classes, very much a matter of taste whether you like it or not but it definitely has some legends with good melee access and with swords and off-hand axe it can get into the brawl quite well.

5 hours ago, Bilgato.8034 said:

Revenant locks you into your utility skills, everything is preset according to which spirit you are on, you can only have two at a time. If you don't like micromanaging your skills that's a good choice.
Whichever you choose, test all the weapons and have an assortment for different situations no matter what you play.

All that being said, a warrior is a Warrior.

On warrior I am missing mobility connected to the strongest weapon set - with axe/axe you do not have any gap closer. You need to swap to e.g. GS, which I do not find to be powerful weapon. 

29 minutes ago, Zbysier.3425 said:

On warrior I am missing mobility connected to the strongest weapon set - with axe/axe you do not have any gap closer. You need to swap to e.g. GS, which I do not find to be powerful weapon. 

If they run, I break out the rifle or longbow. 😈

• Haha 1