Signet design

Kulvar.1239

Signet offer passive effects and active effects. While on cooldown, the passive effects is disable, unless you have a trait that keep it but let's ignore it for now.

The effect of a signet heavily determine how it'll be used.

If the effect is heavily circumstantial, it'll rarely be used unless the circumstances arise. So it's reasonable to assume the skill will see a balance of being on cooldown and off cooldown. But if the circumstances are too unusual, then you would just have it sit off cooldown.

If not circumstantial, the signet will never be used and put on cooldown if the passive is preferred, or always be on cooldown if the active is preferred.

But then, why have an active or a passive if they're not used ? You would often be better slotting an other skill, unless the signet skill is too good. Offensive utility skills are often used as soon as they're off cooldown too, but their active effect is not nerfed by the presence of a passive effect.

Or you happen to be lucky with a trait that keep the passive effect of signets on cooldown that is not buried in a useless trait line nor competing with way better traits.

The passive effect should be permanent baseline, and signets rebalanced around that fact.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

The passive effect should be permanent baseline, and signets rebalanced around that fact.

While I'd like passives to always be there, Signets should not be rebalanced around that fact.

Warrior Signets (especially the passive of Healing Signet) should be buffed though, even with that change.

• Like 1

I think they are fine the way they are and most Signets have very good situation active effects. The only real change I could see if give them more universal things.

I will list some examples of what I mean.

Guardian

• Signet of Resolve: Stun Break, Heal yourself and remove conditions
  • Signet of Wrath: Immobilize your target and Stun them (PvE only)

Warrior

• Dolyak Signet Active: Stun Break, Heal yourself and gain stability.
  • Signet of Rage: Gain fury, might, and swiftness. (25 Might now)

I guess you get my point

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Necro's signets are mostly trash, so any (positive) change is welcome at this point. You could make the passives permanent, not rebalance anything and it wouldn't even be broken 😅

We have :

- "The passive should be baseline, WTF Anet" signet

- "Obligatory speed boost, with a decent active" signet

- "Unable to choose if I'm condi or power" signet

- "Poster boy/girl for a playstyle that never worked outside of some weird PvP build" signet

- "Decent passive heal but crap active" signet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

While I'd like passives to always be there, Signets should not be rebalanced around that fact.

Warrior Signets (especially the passive of Healing Signet) should be buffed though, even with that change.

When I said rebalanced around that fact, I mostly meant it as a case by case thing.

I agree that some signets are relatively weak.

I am of the opinion that making the passive permanent would make them easier to balance for ArenaNet.

Balance would make the skills too weak unless traited, as otherwise, they could be too strong traited.

It's about the same as the cooldown reduction traits. And ArenaNet went away with many of these over the years.