Returning player with questions?

rtuba.4958

I'm returning after playing a little here and the last couple of years, but I want to learn the how to play the game this time and see what it has to offer. It is confusing compared to other MMO I've played on specs and such, are older spec usable at 80 or do we need to play the newest elite specializations? For mounts those are done through Path of Fire area? Are all the old story line or expansions available or relevant?

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert! But maybe I can answer some questions. The story lines should all be still there. I've completed the personal stories for at least 3 races already. The expansions have additional story content so I recommend playing them in the order released. Mounts are helpful and each can be used in different situations. For example, one mount may be more helpful than another to accomplish a goal. However, you don't have to depend on mounts for everything. For example, if you use mounts simply to get from point A to point B to avoid using your own feet, you may miss many achievements by passing them by quickly. However, if you have a goal to simply scale a mountain, then yeah a mount can be useful for that. Note, you may also miss out on something getting to the top faster as well but that all depends on that particular situation. The console on the upper right is extremely useful, listing things you can achieve. One thing you may realize early on is trying to balance whether to accumulate currency or resources. What I usually do is equip the best armor and weapons as soon as you realize I've obtained them. Then the rest can be either deposited or sold. As you get better equipment equip the new then sell or salvage them. You don't have to follow what I've recommended as I'm no expert, but maybe it may help shine some light on things.

Edited by phaserBanks.7386

Oh the official wiki http://wiki.guildwars2.com is THE best place to get detailed info. Trust me. It will be your best friend immediately. As far as specializations, that really depends on your play style. You'll get to the elite specializations simply by playing. That's why I don't look at those as goals. If you enjoy fractals, PvP, strike missions, etc. you'll get there more quickly than say the typical methods of completing map goals. But mostly, just play and you'll realize there are lots of satisfying things to discover.

Edited by phaserBanks.7386

If you bought the expansions, you will unlock their specializations at some point, by simply playing the game in those maps and earning hero points. You can try them, but if you don't like them, you are not forced to play them, and switching spec doesn't cost anything after all. Usually when a new expansion is released, it can happen that new specializations are a bit... overpowered, but eventually ArenaNet will balance them and tone them down. There are good old and new spec, so choose the one you like the most. Core builds on the other hand are usually a bit weaker (apart from some niche PvP build).

The mounts have been introduced in Path of Fire, yes, so you will unlock them by completing PoF's story. The beetle and the skyscale have been introduced in Living World 4 instead, so you have to complete that for these 2 mounts. Another mount has been introduced in WvW, but it's quite useless in open world PvE.

Usually old content is still relevant to a degree. Maybe Living World 2 is not so relevant anymore, if you don't care about achievements and you already have enough Central Tyria Mastery points.