Game design issues

Sea Wolf.7368

Small thoughts on core game design. If you are interested in hearing more issues and maybe their solving suggestions, I will try to write and explain them in this topic

Good day forum :). I want to talk with you about core game design. I tried to briefly talk about some of the problems that I see now, offer a possible solution, as well as small examples. I would love to hear your opinion and suggestions. So, let’s start

Issue 1. Outdated core traits design.

As we know elite specs mostly rely on core talents. Core classes doesn’t have distinct roles, because early it wasn't matter for game design.

Some core classes are so selfish in group play.

Many core traits design feels a bit outdate (example: ranger's nature magic)

For example of good design: engineer core traits design includes bunch of stuff that extends its gameplay in many situations and its elites complements core concept.

Suggested solution:

Spoiler

Maybe devs should split all trait lines into cdps, pdps, support\utility, healing, tanking more definitely.

Maybe elite specs should increase power\game variations one of core trait lines?

Issue 2. Massive PvP battles. Not all classes are represented in battles.

What stops classes to be become viable?

Too much projectile hate. This issue kills almost every class which relies on projectile damage.

Lack of AoE skills. Examples: thief, warrior etc.

Lack of nonstationary skills with normal radius for group support. Examples: warrior(banners), ranger (spirits, celestial avatar form) etc.

Suggested solution:

Spoiler

Reduce amount\time of AoE projectile block skills. Replace block effect with absorbing part of damage

Give classes more nonstationary melee and ranged AoE skills

Let game be more dynamic without large amount of stationary skills.

Issue 3. interesting mechanics

Why some classes get cool stuff while some not?

Some classes have a lot of options for aoe damage while other doesn’t.

For example, engineer riffle auto, warrior riffle can pierce 5 targets by default while ranger longbow, thief riffle etc. cannot.

Engineer has excellent cleave with grenades (auto-attack 15 targets with nice radius), flamethrower etc.

Suggested solution:

Spoiler

Bring more skills for aoe damage. They don’t have to do a lot of damage.

Nov 29 Balance patch

Returning to the fact that some classes get more interesting mechanics. It's not even a balance issue anymore, it's an initial design issue. Let's take engineer as an example. Engineer’s specializations have everything you need from damage to support and each of these parts is strong. For example, while mech and holo have decent dps they also have very good survivability (after leaving forge holo can restore about 6k health passive by heat therapy in addition traits like Big Boomer, Crystal Configuration: Eclipse also bumps it sustain). I’m not talking about nerfing it. I just want all classes to get enough love. To make class mechanics more interesting and useful. It seems to me that many classes really lack variety and good mechanics.

In terms of Nov 29 patch. Suggested changes will not fix problems. For example, specialization like untamed cannot find a use because it has no role in PvE meta. Please do not make decision about balance rely on numbers received in the battle with golem because this dps is not representative enough. Suggested by devs mech changes will not fix problems too. This changes just decrease overall fun from the game. Mech needs more complex ways to play. Playing mech feels like you are playing afk mobile game. Next point, decreasing range for deadeye which was unnecessary.

Conclusion

It's frustrating to see a great game suffer from a lack of attention to key game mechanics. In overall devs are trying to make gameplay better but there is a huge field for improvements. It also seems to me that developers often don't fully understand what they are doing, since they play with only a few classes. It would be nice if among the developers there was such a person who equally treats all game classes and plays on them.

Well done developers that began to show effort and initiative to improve the mechanics of the game.

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

What is wrong with Ranger's Nature Magic, is it not your healing/supportive traitline?

Most classes have limitation on how they work, the best example is Ranger and Warrior both have one the core groups boon in their core traitlines. This does limit the type of elite specializations that can exist.

• Confused 2