Ping issue [Merged]

19 hours ago, Dahakere.4719 said:

I try to communicate with tech support all the time and try to give them some kind of polite hint that there is probably a problem with their servers (Amazon I know), because it happens to a lot of people who have nothing to do with each other and only at certain times of the day. So I've already changed DNS, pestered my ISP, changed router settings, ran about 6 different tests with different programs and changed ports. They keep trying to tell me over and over that the problem is on my side, even according to their words that the problem could be that I have Windows 11 and that according to their words is not a supported system. I have tried probably all the solutions I found on the internet at various times from 2015 until today. The only 2 working solutions seem to be these: 

1) Pay for a VPN and play through it. Which can cause an account BAN, as I've read, and still doesn't guarantee to fix the problem. Paying for an external service to play a game I've already put money into seems pretty nuts to me.

2) I found probably the best solution to these problems on Reddit in a 3 month old post. Stop playing this game....

I talked with support for days and days and no fix for this problem, only way to play the game stabily is buying a vpn, probably gonna stop playing all together if this keeps happening, i've played for 4 months or so and, only had these problems start happening a few weeks ago like everybody else. no problems on any other game/program. 

Support just keeps blaming ISP.

Same problem from Turkey I have no idea what I should do .Ping go up to 60 to 500- 1.5k what is happening I have no idea. My connection for other games are fine too. If some one find and solution Can u share ? Thank you and I hope admins see those comments. 

• Like 1

Same issue here. Czech republic, 1gbit fiber connection. I've returned to the game week ago after a decade long hiatus. At around 8 pm (CET +1) game becames unplayable due to immense lag spikes. Ping averages from 80 (which in itself is absurd for central europe) up to around 5000 ms. Plethora other games and services are working flawlessly, everything points to this being just Guild Wars 2 problem. Baffling experience for this day and age tbh.

• Like 1

Same issue as well, from Moscow Russia:

- avrg ping 60-80 

- then spikes to 280-400 for a few seconds, everything freezes up, people running in places

- back to 60-80 after

Absolutely unplayable while doing any combat based activity, as in you die to every mechanic. So far my tracert shows nothing on my ISP part, but when it touches amazon servers (GW2 host) - it goes nowhere and completes 1 out of 10 at best.

Been playing flawlessly for years up until this weeks Friday evening.

• Confused 1

Hello,

Thank you for providing us with this report.

At this time, I would suggest trying to connect to ArenaNet through a VPN from the list below. These will not change anything on your PC, nor will they change the server connection on our end. All a VPN does is change the middle men or the "route" your data takes to reach our server. So if your current connection looks like this:

Note: While using a VPN is a useful service, it is not supported by ArenaNet in anyway. Furthermore, please be aware that if you access the account from or attempt to add these proxies to your authorized IP list, the account may be blocked and subject to review especially if the proxy you use has a history of suspicious activity. Lastly, customers are advised to use them at their own risk.

Regards,
Guild Wars 2 Support Team

You can get banned, buttry this. Uh, thanks. I think I'm done here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Same thing in NA, East Coast. Sudden ping spikes into 700s, disconnects, and now "Unable to gain access to login server at this time" Error Code: 42:0:9001:4457. The game ran fine before February.

EDIT: mostly getting in OK now, but still random disconnects and full-on failures to load zones when fast traveling pretty much non-stop. This renders the game unplayable.

Edited by Incompetence.4091
Extra info
  • Sad 1

Don't know how it's possible, but it got worse. Ping starts out OK for about 20-25min, then spikes into 1k+ territory, almost always resulting in a claymation scene, followed by an inevitable crash to desktop. Can't do anything with this utterly terrible connection status. 

EDIT: before you ask, yes, the problem is unique to GW2. I stream and play other online games just fine with no service interruptions.

Edited by Incompetence.4091
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

In the last weeks it seemed to happen only after 6-7PM (CET) but this weekend the game lagged like crazy even from early hours (like 9AM). On Sunday the game became a schizophrenic hellscape of an experience with crazy lagspikes going up to half a minute! Wish I were kidding... Experienced this with my friend as we were leveling his toon to 80 together. His experience was basically the same throughout the weekend and while we are both from Czech Republic, we have different ISPs.

Didn't have to deal with this kind of lag long term in a MMO since like 2007, which is sad as the game is great when it's actually playable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I have that same problem. I get constant lag spikes and there are times when my ping goes up to 5k. just a ping issue specific to this game. I have no problems anywhere else. No matter who they throw the blame at, the biggest culprit here is ANET, who didn't take the blame.

• Like 1

I'm US East and have been getting constant ping or otherwise lag spikes randomly in combat. Everything is fine then it freezes for like upwards of 15 seconds and then everything goes superspeed and catches up to where we are, usually with me dead. Makes Boneskinner impossible to do.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KawsMeCal.5923 said:

I'm US East and have been getting constant ping or otherwise lag spikes randomly in combat. Everything is fine then it freezes for like upwards of 15 seconds and then everything goes superspeed and catches up to where we are, usually with me dead. Makes Boneskinner impossible to do.

Massive spikes last night SEA time zone.  usually I am 220ms and I was spiking to 1500-1700 in SMC fights.

• Sad 1

On 3/28/2023 at 3:05 PM, Dahakere.4719 said:

Hello,

Thank you for providing us with this report.

At this time, I would suggest trying to connect to ArenaNet through a VPN from the list below. These will not change anything on your PC, nor will they change the server connection on our end. All a VPN does is change the middle men or the "route" your data takes to reach our server. So if your current connection looks like this:

Note: While using a VPN is a useful service, it is not supported by ArenaNet in anyway. Furthermore, please be aware that if you access the account from or attempt to add these proxies to your authorized IP list, the account may be blocked and subject to review especially if the proxy you use has a history of suspicious activity. Lastly, customers are advised to use them at their own risk.

Regards,
Guild Wars 2 Support Team

You can get banned, buttry this. Uh, thanks. I think I'm done here. 

A little bit of double talk in there from Arenanet.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I normally get 60-80 ms, last 2 weeks I'm getting beyond ridiculous ping that spike from 200 to 5000 yea you read right 5000 ms. All my other games doing perfectly fine, from Warframe to Call of Duty. Yet Guild Wars manage to make me lost interest in game. Yea I'm not gonna buy next expo until it's fixed.

• Confused 1