Ping issue [Merged]

I recently started playing GW2 on Steam, and I am having unplayable ping spikes. From login I immediately am hit with ping ranging from 86 to 4000. The listed average is usually around 1400, but it tends to stay mostly between 160-400. The ping almost never drops below 100. For reference, I used to play GW2 on the standalone client a couple years ago with the same ISP (T-Mobile), and had no issues. I have near zero connection issues on any other game I've played. I've checked the usual suspected solutions I could find i.e. resetting everything, checking firewall issues, anti virus issues etc. Let me know if I can provide any additional information to help get this fixed. Thanks guys.

• Sad 1

On 7/5/2023 at 3:06 PM, Areohtwo.7839 said:

I am receiving 250ms now from SEA, the latency is +30 on average, all times of the day. 

Follow up:   I am now back down to 200ms which is quite playable.  If Anet changed something or AWS did, it is working. Thank you.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also been having incredibly high ping just by standing in the game and doing nothing. Ping gets worse when trying to actually play the game and even gets to the point that the game is unresponsive that you might as well just quit the game and get on at an earlier time, but even then the ping is high.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, justaclare.8460 said:

También he tenido un ping increíblemente alto con solo pararme en el juego y no hacer nada. El ping empeora cuando intentas jugar el juego e incluso llega al punto en que el juego no responde, por lo que también podrías abandonar el juego y continuar antes, pero incluso entonces el ping es alto.

i have same problem too last 3 days

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

THANK YOU!
I was afraid I was the only one with high ping (living in NA, playing in EU server). It was usually around 150 ms, but now it's more like 3k-4k.
I've contacted the support : yesterday I was sending reports, and this morning I've got an answer "it's on your side" and the guy explain to me what latency is.

- I tried all the troubleshooting tips ANet recommands (reboot router/modem/pc, disable security software, repair client, clear game cache);
- I have 300Mbps fiber connection;
I've tried with my husband's pc (I'm on a laptop, he's on desktop with wired connection), same issue;
- I've tried Speedtest with serveur test in Europe, ping is 143 ms.
All my others online games are fine, between 120 and 160 ms.

I'm starting to be a little worried with SOTO coming up in 25 days.

28 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Speed tests won't indicate anything about your connection to the game servers.  You can use a program like PingPlotter to find where connection issues lie.  (Be aware that without special methods Amazon hops can't be traced.)

Yesterday, they asked my to use WinMTR for the traceroute and ping. Is PingPlotter the same? If not, I can try.

16 minutes ago, Lyd de Fioraventi.8671 said:

Well I gave it a try, and it goes full red on the last hop. I'm not mad, it's not on my side, right?!
I got a answer earlier from support telling me that the problem is solved...

The last hop being red is going to be due to not being able to see into Amazon's network.  If it's good up until Amazon, then it's not your side or an intermediary.

Did support tell you what the problem was?

4 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Did support tell you what the problem was?

They told me "According to the report and information you sent us, you are experiencing a high latency issue." And after they explain to me what latency is and tell me to contact my internet provider...
I'm so so so sorry for spamming this thread, but you guys are more usefull than the support so far.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lyd de Fioraventi.8671 said:

They told me "According to the report and information you sent us, you are experiencing a high latency issue." And after they explain to me what latency is and tell me to contact my internet provider...
I'm so so so sorry for spamming this thread, but you guys are more usefull than the support so far.

Oh 😞

It sounded like to me they found a problem on their end and solved it.  I didn't read your earlier post.

I've used a VPN before to play from West Coast NA to EU servers and that helped a lot to cut down on weird routes and slow connections.

7 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Oh 😞

It sounded like to me they found a problem on their end and solved it.  I didn't read your earlier post.

I've used a VPN before to play from West Coast NA to EU servers and that helped a lot to cut down on weird routes and slow connections.

😭
Please, don't say that. It's been 3 days without being able to play at all, I'm starting to be hopeless

I tried to run several times PingPlotter, but a lot of them got canceled under 10min due to disconnection from server in game (IP are lost). The few I got above 10min, I have some lost packets a couple hops (hops 13-14) before the Amazon one (hop 16).

1 hour ago, Lyd de Fioraventi.8671 said:

I have some lost packets a couple hops (hops 13-14) before the Amazon one (hop 16).

If it's lost packets at an intermediary between your ISP and Amazon, you can contact your ISP and hopefully they contact the upstream intermediary to fix the issue or you just kind of sit back and wait for the intermediary to notice the problem and fix it.  There's not anything Amazon and Arenanet can necessarily do.  😞

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

If it's lost packets at an intermediary between your ISP and Amazon, you can contact your ISP and hopefully they contact the upstream intermediary to fix the issue or you just kind of sit back and wait for the intermediary to notice the problem and fix it.  There's not anything Amazon and Arenanet can necessarily do.  😞

Not all the runs have lost packets, but some. Anyway, I'll wait for the support answer tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help. ❤️

• Confused 1

(My English is not good so I use a translator) I've been playing stable for a day. I don't know if the steps I followed will work for everyone but here they go:

1. open gw2 ports and use /clientport 80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrvryiPsM2E

2. download optimizer and activate the option "optimizer network"

https://github.com/hellzerg/optimizer/releases

3. Change the Internet settings from "public" to "private"

4. In-game, change the transmission option to "passive"

I'm not sure if all the options or any of them will be the possible solution, but I hope it helps you.

2 hours ago, kazuox.4258 said:

(My English is not good so I use a translator) I've been playing stable for a day. I don't know if the steps I followed will work for everyone but here they go:

1. open gw2 ports and use /clientport 80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrvryiPsM2E

2. download optimizer and activate the option "optimizer network"

https://github.com/hellzerg/optimizer/releases

3. Change the Internet settings from "public" to "private"

4. In-game, change the transmission option to "passive"

I'm not sure if all the options or any of them will be the possible solution, but I hope it helps you.

Sadly, this didn't change a thing for me. But I hope it'll work for the others! 🤞

btw ,  I also live in NA and play on EU server . Today I call  my internet provider and I'm going to get technician stop by Friday afternoon . During the call  they run some diagnostics and offer to send expert to my house . Hopefully soon I will find out whats going on . We got so many game patches lately , but its possible that those got nothing to do with PING problem . Maybe its just coincident . Maybe its faulty modem or  loose cable . Iv been playing GW for years , and only now , in last few days  Iv experience problem with such PING spikes . The weird thing is that I can watch TV on my comp , movies , with no problem at all . Its just GW2 that is not playable do to latency , otherwise I wouldn't even know there is something wrong with my internet connection .

• Confused 1