Good combinations for stripping stab?

Justine.6351

16 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

Is there a good combination/s for stripping stab in smallscale? I play powerblock and would like better play against bruisers.

Preference of spec?

Current WvW zerg build is a stripper so with some changes might be what you want: https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/mesmer/support-chronomancer/
They nerfed phantasmal disenchanter so it might not be very good with chrono phantasma anymore for small scale but worth a look. Double hitting split second does double the boon removal and then with viscous expression you can spike a lot of boon removal depending on if you can use 2-3 clone time sink and hit AoE. I'd not run null field just because it's easy to move the fight out of for smale scale unless you can combo into the void, gravity well and split second onto 2-3 people.
Goes without saying you need people to peal for you as focus will kill you.

Mirage could make a decent stripper with infinite horizon, absorption sigil, viscious expression and sword clones if you're going for a more damage focused build.
Virtuoso should be better at stripping boons with a higher blade count but in practise it's easy to dodge and "miss" or "obstructed" will be your enemy but again shattered concentration would be your thing.
With the new patch running arcane thievery is a more compelling choice with a CD reduction baseline.
I don't see a way to keep PB and be better at stripping (assuming your choices because I know you make sensible choices) unless you want to go blurred inscriptions signet of domination route, might be good set up for a kill but that CD and cast.

I was going to mention sand shards but from what little I've played it (back on 2 dodges) it wasn't that noticeable and you have only 1 dodge now so giving up cleanse or IH isn't worth it to me.

Edited by apharma.3741
  • Like 1

The only problem with Vicious Expression is losing out on Power Block, which if you are Mirage, PB is more value IMO. It's a tough choice because PB allows you to actually disrupt downed opponents as well.

I can't speak for Chrono/Virtu, only for Mirage.

In PvP I've gone Vicious Expression at times, but I always end up feeling more comfortable with Power Block in the end.  IMO, if you favor interrupts take PB and if you favor boon strips, take VE, and as @apharma.3741 said try sigil of absorption too.

Now in PvE however, I don't even know if Power Block works on monsters lol so I always take Vicious Expression there.

Also yeah, Mirages have no real choice atm because it's either IH or bust. The other 2 dodge traits never got adjusted for one dodge IIRC and they were niche value to begin with. They need a rework bad.

IH is -the- defining Mirage Trait outside of Mirage Cloak so it's just really hard to not pick it. Also IH + VE + sword clones = ultimate boon strip assuming they land their ambushes. In PvE this combo can strip up to 8 boons, but in pvp your mileage may vary due to adjusted traits and such. It can still be powerful, but you're giving up Power Block. ☹️

6 minutes ago, Waffles.5632 said:

The only problem with Vicious Expression is losing out on Power Block, which if you are Mirage, PB is more value IMO. It's a tough choice because PB allows you to actually disrupt downed opponents as well.

I can't speak for Chrono/Virtu, only for Mirage.

In PvP I've gone Vicious Expression at times, but I always end up feeling more comfortable with Power Block in the end.  IMO, if you favor interrupts take PB and if you favor boon strips, take VE, and as @apharma.3741 said try sigil of absorption too.

Now in PvE however, I don't even know if Power Block works on monsters lol so I always take Vicious Expression there.

Also yeah, Mirages have no real choice atm because it's either IH or bust. The other 2 dodge traits never got adjusted for one dodge IIRC and they were niche value to begin with. They need a rework bad.

IH is -the- defining Mirage Trait outside of Mirage Cloak so it's just really hard to not pick it. Also IH + VE + sword clones = ultimate boon strip assuming they land their ambushes. In PvE this combo can strip up to 8 boons, but in pvp your mileage may vary due to adjusted traits and such. It can still be powerful, but you're giving up Power Block. ☹️

Power block works in PvE but it's effectively useless.

Also yes I fully agree about PB being generally more useful if you land it vs VE. I suspect the problem is that too many opponents have stability in small scale and so Justine is having trouble getting any real effectiveness from PB.
If phantasmal disenchanter hadn't been nerfed I'd have said use that with chrono phantasma but at 2 boons I think arcane theivery when it has a reduced CD might be a better option.

For sigil of absorption you would use on IH swords but not sure if the november patch "fixed" it's ICD or what but you can also see the boon removal priority at the bottom of the page: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Absorption

If you're looking to strip specifically stability though I think only thief can do that with bountiful theft. I'm sure I heard something else could but can't remember if it was bugged absorption or something else.

• Like 1

Core mesmer, not without giving up something you currently need. I know you want to keep the mantras and PB, no-one would not take blink as a stunbreak gtfo skill which then leaves signet of midnight which I don't like the idea of giving up either.

I was thinking maybe chrono and you either run slow on disable to make up for the lost damage of duelling or you run superspeed shatters, up to you. This will double the boon rip of F1. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PizAEx3lZkxoiaJlsrAHaoOqT2tSA-zVJYiR9fp0XQ0bB1dEEeqqwBIk/WkfZDA-w

I can't in good faith recommend mirage, it's just too easy to train down and I'm thinking of the casting mantras soon which without a 2nd dodge is not going to be fun.

Virtuoso could increase the boons removed but I think you're giving up more than you get.

I think your best way to switch up is to go chrono, if you have someone in your small scale group who can cleanse consider dropping signet of midnight for mirror images for CS 6 hits of split second then you can do it again for higher burst. I know you want to keep MI for getting away but gravity well might also lead to kills.

This might be worth exploring, you drop your stunbreak, invuln and cleanse for the boon removal, CC and invuln but you also drop heal on mantra for phantasms cleansing you and recharging phantasms.
I know how you play though so I know you don't want to drop the mantra and signet of domination is not likely your thing.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PizAEx3lVkxoiaIlsrAHaoOqLdpbA-zVJYiR9fp0XQ0bB1dEEeqqwBIk/WkfZDA-w

• Like 1

2 hours ago, apharma.3741 said:

Power block works in PvE but it's effectively useless.

Also yes I fully agree about PB being generally more useful if you land it vs VE. I suspect the problem is that too many opponents have stability in small scale and so Justine is having trouble getting any real effectiveness from PB.
If phantasmal disenchanter hadn't been nerfed I'd have said use that with chrono phantasma but at 2 boons I think arcane theivery when it has a reduced CD might be a better option.

For sigil of absorption you would use on IH swords but not sure if the november patch "fixed" it's ICD or what but you can also see the boon removal priority at the bottom of the page: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Absorption

If you're looking to strip specifically stability though I think only thief can do that with bountiful theft. I'm sure I heard something else could but can't remember if it was bugged absorption or something else.

ty for that power block confirmation! It never seemed like it did anything but I wasn't sure.

and hahaha I was gonna suggest Arcane Thievery too! I agree on Phantasmal Disenchanter as well. Sucks that it seems like so many mesmers utiility skills just aren't worth it anymore for pvp/wvw related stuff.

As for stab the only classes I know of that can specifically strip it are thief like you said and revenant. Both need to be traited. For Rev that comes from Brutality which strips stab and only stab while rev has quickness buff.

1 hour ago, apharma.3741 said:

I can't in good faith recommend mirage, it's just too easy to train down and I'm thinking of the casting mantras soon which without a 2nd dodge is not going to be fun.

I am with you but still.....😭 it hurts!

Also I was going to suggest Chrono too, so no need to write anymore on my end. Apharma summarized it nicely.

Edit: Also the only other thing that works is waiting/kiting until their stab runs out. I don't think any class can sustain stab for longer than 5-10secs without outside help, and usually skills that give stab have high CD's. Usually my strategy is anytime I see someone with 5+ boons I try to kite and stall a bit. This is in pvp though, so wvw may see different strategy. I do not play wvw at all so can't really comment on what the situation would be like I can only speculate.

Edited by Waffles.5632
  • Thanks 1

If you’re looking just to rip stab from said target before u burst I would suggest either sw3 imob into f2 to benefit from the boon rip of your personal character shattering and ur one (or how ever many clones u have at the time) then swapping to gs and using gs4. This gets you about 4 boons removed if you just have you and one clone. Keep in mind how  the projectile of gs4 needs to land on the target (not the phantasms) to remove the Boons. 
   You can also go gs4 into gs2 f3 f1 (ur normal gs burst)which should be about 4 boons give or take how many clones u have them follow up with ur stun mantra, looking to rupt the heal if u land good  burst dmg. 
   I’m not sure off the top of my head which boons each skill prioritizes, and with ur build up top it’ll be hard to strip more than 4 boons on a quick and consistent basis. 
  I see your not looking for build suggestions but I would suggest nullification if ur needed just a little bump in boon removal as Mesmer has a very easy time proccing the flanking strike condition of the sigil. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1