Do you have to PVP to get Legendary Armour/Weapons?

3 hours ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

There should be an alternative (pacific farming) to acquire ascended gear.

I'm not sure I understand, what do you need the ascended gear for if you're playing as pacifist (I think that's what you meant to say?) anyways?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I'm not sure I understand, what do you need the ascended gear for if you're playing as pacifist (I think that's what you meant to say?) anyways?

even if you play PvE helping people in metaevents by healing them, giving them boons and alacrity... your contribution will be more meaningful if you have ascended stats, that's why you need ascended gear as a pacifist.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

even if you play PvE helping people in metaevents by healing them, giving them boons and alacrity... your contribution will be more meaningful if you have ascended stats, that's why you need ascended gear as a pacifist.

Level up crafting and make your gear then, there's your "pacifist way" of getting it. (but doing that in exotic gear will still be easly enough)

Although keep in mind that when you heal and boon people, you're actively contributing towards defeating the mobs. Not that imo it's should make it an issue in any way, but if you think "I'm a pacifist because I don't kill these mobs, I only... help other people kill them!" means being peaceful then probably wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 11 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 2:20 PM, Axelteas.7192 said:

There's people who have traumas that avoid violence and confrontation even in a online mmorpg.

Imagine a kid that suffers bullying in the school, arrives home and gets ganked in PvP or WvW.

And you may say oh play a healer or support. But it's not the class is like the toxic competitivity against other people.

There should be an alternative (pacific farming) to acquire ascended gear.

Thread necromancer here. Searching on making gifts being lame due to forced pvp/wvw. But yea, this comment I quoted sounds crazy, but when i played world of warcraft back in like Nov 2006/2007 (after i played gw1 factions first..) When I would get ganked in the open world (on a pvp realm) it took me by surprise, and my adrenaline would shoot up and my heart would race. I'd be like half scared - half super angry. And this would happen multiple times a night for several months to a year. I already had bad anxiety all my life due to living with an alcoholic dad. But the constant jump scare attacks while Im casually questing in silence caused me to have to get on meds for anxiety. But then I quit taking them and started having constant heart palpitations for a solid year, in which they continue on occasion to this day. And I didnt want to be some zombie on medications so i never got on beta blockers or any other type of antidepressants. (I did drink a lot of tea back then too now i just drink a lot of coffee lol...) But eventually after a while I got used to fighting people in the open world and in pvp matches, only the anger got me going then, not so much the fight or flight.

But i refused to play wvw or pvp in gw ever since. Guess its a sort of ptsd. I have played a few times here and there but it is more frustrating and waste of my time now as im much older. And I dont have the patience or interest or time to invest in it. It sucks because its not optional for players to participate, to craft gifts for weapons, but after playing all these years I guess I have conceded defeat. I usually feel bad for people who have them because I know if they crafted it themselves, It was such a waste of time and mats and effort for a cool skin and effect to show off that really has no benefit over ascended weapons other than convenience. But i imagine lots just save up and buy them of the tp or have help from friends and guildies. But not everyone has that luxury.

They really should have thought out the system more back during launch. It has gotten better recently with like the obsidian armor in a way, and the astral rewards in the wizards vault to give a kick start to older weapons, but they should really have thought of something different for pve only and pvp/wvw only players. Like have had 2 different sets and removed pve requirements for pvp only players, and removed pvp from a pve only set. Also read some comments about the QoL of the legendaries and swapping builds and gear and stats and stuff. But afaik there isnt much outside of legendaries that allows this for pvp/wvw. But guild wars 1 at least let you make a pvp only character and start at max level with pvp gear iirc, and buy unlocks with rmt and faction currency. Something they abandoned completely in gw2. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1