Current Status of Mesmers?

Pseudo.4162

So I keep flopping around between characters trying to find one that feels right. I enjoy Hunter and Necro but one that I keep coming back to is Mesmer, particularly, GS Wielding Mesmer. I enjoy it and it's fun but any time I go look around for information on mesmers, I am greeted with a lot of "Even good mesmers are pretty bad." "Mesmers are generally underpowered."

I know that Vanilla content is easy and blowing through it isn't difficult. But I'd hate to get to 80 and find out that it's all true and that I'm going to end up hating mesmer when I get to HoT and PoF content. Can anyone provide any info on this? Are they good? If they are weaker in comparison, is it like by a huge margin?

I don't know where you heard that, Mesmer is in a good spot in pretty much every single game mode, as far as I can tell, but I'll talk about the modes I play : in Open World PvE, story-missions, and low-level fractals, everything can work, and I truly enjoy my Greatsword/Sword+Sword Power Mirage. With a Signet spec, I have no problem at all, and I still return to HoT and PoF maps all the time.For other modes, well, Chrono and Mirage are welcomed in raids and high-level fractals, and I heard they're solid in PvP and WvW, so...

I can only based on my experience, when I started I tried different range classes but only the mesmer class hooked me into the game, like you I really liked GS back then. I read some guides and learned that mesmers have one of the lowest dps on all classes (back then) and if I want to continue playing a mesmer I have to be a support-tank-boonshare chrono which I do not liked at first because I do not really like going melee and tanking. I leveled 2 different classes ele and archer but I find them really boring so I went back to mesmer. I played thru HOT and tried to learn chrono and eventually liked it, I accepted the fact that mesmers do not have that much dps as a chrono support and now I really will not give up my mesmer to any class, my dps alt is a venom-share thief which do not have that much group utilities but I made it so I can have a greedy dps.

But now with POF, came the dps-spec Mirage (FOTM), which if you read on this forum, you will see that it is one of the hot topics right now PVE and PVP.
Personally, I liked that the mesmer have a dps-specialization but I really do not feel like playing a mirage when I tried it. All in all, choose the class you like then learn it and accept every-specs weaknesses.

@Pseudo.4162 said:So I keep flopping around between characters trying to find one that feels right. I enjoy Hunter and Necro but one that I keep coming back to is Mesmer, particularly, GS Wielding Mesmer. I enjoy it and it's fun but any time I go look around for information on mesmers, I am greeted with a lot of "Even good mesmers are pretty bad." "Mesmers are generally underpowered."

I know that Vanilla content is easy and blowing through it isn't difficult. But I'd hate to get to 80 and find out that it's all true and that I'm going to end up hating mesmer when I get to HoT and PoF content. Can anyone provide any info on this? Are they good? If they are weaker in comparison, is it like by a huge margin?

If you're talking open world, mesmer historically had a reputation for poor damage output. However, condi mirage has no difficulty producing damage. Here's a video of my mirage doing a solo kill of the Vampire Broodmother in Verdant Brink ("Guano" HP). This boss likes to drain life, which makes it important both to avoid damage from the boss while maintaining strong damage against her. As you'll see, mirage excels at both!

I run a power chronomancer. Except for the ascended shield, Horologicus, I'm still running the all-exotic soldier's gear I got with the level 80 booster (GS, Sword/shield). I can, and have, solo'd several of the champion HP bosses in HoT. If YOU have fun playing as a Mesmer, you're not going to be disappointed once you hit level 80.

Mesmer is lovely. Since i'm playing the Game i stayed with Mesmer, and i probably won't ever touch another Class again as Main. I think you have a lot of Ways to go as Mesmer, Power Chrono, Condi Chrono, Boonbot Chrono, Bunker Chrono, Power Mirage, Condi Mirage, Hybrid Mirage - there is a Mesmer Build for almost every Situation in the Game. Chronos Well's + Shield is nice for Zerging in WvW + Boonbot is always asked for in PvE Raids. Decent 1v1 Abilty, while beeing a little bit outclassed of Mirage in that Way imho. Inspiration full tank Chrono, can still tank for years if you'd like to play such a build. Mirage's have a lot of Thief in their Playstyle while u still keep the Mesmers overall identity. Pretty Competetive right now in PvE Raids for it's high damage output with Viper Gear ( Expect some tweaks here -> Axe Ambush is bugged, but Mirage will stay in the top 3 of Dps after bugfix I think).

In WvW and PvP Mirage is a top duelist right now with high damage output, with INSANE in Combat Mobilty. Watching A Mirage and a Thief fighting each other is like watching Dragon Ball Z - Fights.

If u're into a class you should play it, nevertheless it's good or bad, cause things can always change.

Archived