10 Year in-game bug (mouse pointer) [Merged]

I recently returned to the game and to my pre-release created characters after 8 years of hardcore WoW.
I was pleasantly surprised by what the GW2 expansions, endgame and the horizontal progression more generally has to offer (and yes, it was amusing to see how many things blizz got "heavily inspired" by over the years - I really wish ArenaNet would "borrow" the new UI edit mode in return.).
However this cursor jumping & camera-turning problem is making the game borderline unplayable and really takes the joy out of the gameplay, especially since it's bound to happen more frequently in action heavy moments.
I'm not even sure if I want to continue to sign up for my guilds raids or CMs. If you play a spec like Willbender with plenty rotational ground-targeted mobility, the cursor-jumps from the camera turning can frequently place you out of position or even kill you. It's forcing you to be super mindful whenever releasing the right click from camera turning.
Apparently this issue is pretty widespread, given how many threads (some of them got closed by moderators recently, I assume because they got merged here?) on it i managed to find. It's also crystal clear that this is a problem with this game and not with any overlay or hardware.
This needs to be fixed asap.
It's a severe quality flaw that's 100% scaring away a proportion of new players and obviously is a problem for many more.

Edited by Levi.8369
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...

I am having this issue as well. I didn't use to have it at all, but it is now becoming very noticeable (post-SOTO) to the point where I've also ordered a new mouse hoping that's the problem. My mouse can also "escape" full screen and leak onto my other monitor by moving the mouse towards my other monitor and right-clicking when the mouse appears near the edge. If I right click with the mouse already on the edge, it doesn't work. But right clicking near the edge while the mouse is moving will recreate the "escape" issue 100% of the time. This is in full screen 1920x1080.

Not sure if this is similar but sometimes my right-click will stop registering as if I let go of the button. I don't think this is related to high PC load (WvW) though it is more noticeable in fights. Perhaps that's more because I'm actually right-clicking a lot. Game has become much frustrating to play.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just here to bump and hopefully help raise the priority of the issue a bit, as it's probably sitting as "Low/Backlog" somewhere in the bug tracker of ArenaNet.

I've been using the arcdps_unofficial_extras which has a perfect fix for this issue (from the POV of a player), but after the latest game update, arcdps is broken again and the fix is now gone.
I'm being forced to use my custom AHK script that doesn't work to the same level as the arcdps fix.
And the game is pretty much unplayable without any fixes for the issue and makes me regret every single cent that I've spent on the game.
Is it possible to arrange a donation to ArenaNet to fund the 2-3 days of work for a junior engine programmer? They can ask for the code of the arcdps_unofficial_extras and then integrate it into the game's engine code.

Can't wait for this third party software to get updated so it can fix the game again...

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

On 9/29/2023 at 5:51 PM, Forkoto.5368 said:

Just here to bump and hopefully help raise the priority of the issue a bit, as it's probably sitting as "Low/Backlog" somewhere in the bug tracker of ArenaNet.

I've been using the arcdps_unofficial_extras which has a perfect fix for this issue (from the POV of a player), but after the latest game update, arcdps is broken again and the fix is now gone.
I'm being forced to use my custom AHK script that doesn't work to the same level as the arcdps fix.
And the game is pretty much unplayable without any fixes for the issue and makes me regret every single cent that I've spent on the game.
Is it possible to arrange a donation to ArenaNet to fund the 2-3 days of work for a junior engine programmer? They can ask for the code of the arcdps_unofficial_extras and then integrate it into the game's engine code.

Can't wait for this third party software to get updated so it can fix the game again...

Sadly I raised a ticket and told them I used arcdps unofficial extras to PARTIALLY fix this issue. All responses I got from GM were like: do a clean start of PC and try to find which software/service interferes the ingame mouse cursor.  

Actually this kind of feedback is not constructive and it doesn't help at all. I did what they said and the issue still there. Yet I agree that Anet possibly has a really low prirority on this issue.

Now I just stopped playing the game.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

• 1 month later...

Yeah I have this one for like a few years too. Sometimes its not there for weeks or months and then it comes back.
I turn with holding right click camera -> cursor reappears and camera stops turning, sometimes npcs or other players get clicked on by this. Some festival related jps are kinda difficult with this, such as the clocktower jp on halloween.

A forum moderator in this topic back in may. Strange it hasnt been fixed yet.
They should put this higher in priority since its such a game-breaking bug.

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2023 at 10:32 AM, SkyDrum.8163 said:

The unofficial extras plugin for ArcDps has a fix for the clipping issue with the mouse cursor.

ArcDps options > Extensions > unofficial_extras > check "clip cursor when moving camera"

Holy moly, thank you so much for this. Gamechanger. No longer will my AoEs and stuff go off in the wrong direction. No more losing focus on GW2 and clicking on something in Discord in the middle of a raid fight. Thank you again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to bump this and provide an easy way for all users and devs to see the bug in action,

If you install Microsoft PowerToys for Windows and enable the Mouse Crosshairs, these stay on and allow you to track the 'real' mouse position at all times, even when the cursor is otherwise invisible due to steering. 
The mouse tracking bug becomes painfully obvious as the crosshairs slide all across the screen while steering. Sometimes the cursor jumps back to proper position, but most of the time it lags just enough to reposition somewhere across the screen or jumps to a different monitor (even when in full-screen mode).

Turn on the ArcDps Unofficial Extras "clip cursor" settings and instantly the crosshairs/mouse stays exactly where it's supposed to be, even when invisible.
Highly recommend PowerToys even if just for native OS customizable Crosshairs, especially nice to verify when clip cursor is working. 

Can't comprehend how something so fundamental has remained broken, unless it was hard to visualize and reproduce, which it's not anymore. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bump

The ArcDPS Unofficial Extras plugin only partially fixes the problem for me, and whenever Arc is down, the game becomes unplayable.

Many people I play with also have this problem but have given up on trying to fix it and simply live with the Arc band-aid.

I don't know why this problem is allowed to persist.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I've started getting this problem the since (I assume) the 27th patch - it's making the game almost unplayable in competitive, especially when ground targeted skills are involved (as my mouse cursor isn't where I'm expecting it to be after moving my camera)

Edited by Esufer.8762
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

i would love to see a fix to this. this bug has been a pain for me for years and 10 times more right now because i use [sword of justice], [bow of truth] and consecration which all just sometimes get placed randomly across the map because the mouse somehow just teleported there after i released my rotation from my character. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/5/2023 at 8:52 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Sorry this thread has been running so long and I'm just now catching it, but I want to let you know that I put this in front of the team to look into. 

Is there any chance on an update on this? It has been another year almost 🥴
Just to restate: The problem with camera turning is that this game does not lock your mouse while it is invisible, sometimes (for some always) it fails to reset the mouse position when it gets visible again. Also it is possible to interact with ui elements, e.g. the minimap while the mouse is invisible.

10 hours ago, Mortalux.6902 said:

i would love to see a fix to this. this bug has been a pain for me for years and 10 times more right now because i use [sword of justice], [bow of truth] and consecration which all just sometimes get placed randomly across the map because the mouse somehow just teleported there after i released my rotation from my character. 

Try playing Willbender without the Arc plugin 🥴 You will yeet your character all over the place.
There will be an update to the Unofficial Extras plugin some time this week btw.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just faced this aggrevating problem myself, and I'm glad I'm not the only one. This is a crucial bug which needs to be sorted out as soon as possible. It astounds me that a plugin to an addon, ArcDPS, is a potential fix. What stops the dev team to reverse engineer what the plugin does?

Hopefully we'll get to hear from any officials soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...