Is Revenant the way to go

HybridReaper.1530

Hello everyone,

I recently came back to the game after a very long pause (pre-HoT) and I am completely lost as to what class to play. In the core game back at launch I played a Thief but it didn't really click with me. Now that I came back I started reading a lot of threads/posts regarding which profession to play and narrowed it down to Warrior/Guardian/Revenant. 

I started playing the Warr and got it to 80 and half-way through HoT but decided to jump on a Guardian for comparison and I got to pretty much the same place with it and I must say I enjoy it more than the warrior, however, my issue is that it seems the Guardian is used more as a support than a dmg dealer which really isn't my playstyle, I like being the 'assassin' of the group. And from what I gather the Guardian mostly shines as FB and not WillBender which would sort of be my preferred playstyle (I really want to play with a GS).

My question is how is the Revenant compared to the Guardian? I would like a class that I can play everything with (WvW, PvE and PvP) and I just don't want to waste the time getting another char to 80 just to not like it. So what do you guys think, how does the Revenant compare to the Guardian in play-style, mastering and fun? I know the classes are mostly balanced, and I am not looking at doing 1vX with anything, but as far as I have seen from videos, Revenant would much better fit my playstyle, but is it any good in late game activities?

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this post and I wish you all a great day/night.

The Revenant could well fill your "assassin" fantasy while having a fun-to-play melee gameplay, with high damage, sustain and mobility (I mean, we can literally channel the legendary assassin Shiro). However, its mechanics are quite unique, and so I'd encourage you to go mess around in the PvP lobby (where all skills and traits are unlocked by default, including elite specs, as if you were lvl 80) to check if they click for you.

On a side note, I don't know if you own all expansions, but if you are enjoying guardian but want a more selfish, damage oriented gameplay, definitely have a look at the Willbender specialization for Guardian. It's literally melee, selfish (mostly), high damage and with a lot of dashes and shadowsteps. You need the End of Dragons expansion to play it, though.

11 minutes ago, Ulysses.2058 said:

The Revenant could well fill your "assassin" fantasy while having a fun-to-play melee gameplay, with high damage, sustain and mobility (I mean, we can literally channel the legendary assassin Shiro). However, its mechanics are quite unique, and so I'd encourage you to go mess around in the PvP lobby (where all skills and traits are unlocked by default, including elite specs, as if you were lvl 80) to check if they click for you.

On a side note, I don't know if you own all expansions, but if you are enjoying guardian but want a more selfish, damage oriented gameplay, definitely have a look at the Willbender specialization for Guardian. It's literally melee, selfish (mostly), high damage and with a lot of dashes and shadowsteps. You need the End of Dragons expansion to play it, though.

Thank you for the reply, I do have all the expansions. My only issue with the WB is that I have played it for a little bit and it didnt really seem to fit the assassin playstyle that I am looking for. Also it seems to be more condi dmg focused.

Don't underestimate power willbender. It benches at a respectful 42k, it's just that it's been overshadowed by firebrand, the build only appeared relatively recently so it hasn't had a high adoption rate yet, and willbender in general still hasn't shaken off the bad reputation it developed early on. If you're not enjoying it in general, that's fine, but the specific criticism of being poor power DPS is probably outdated, and it will probably see more use after the firebrand nerfs.

That said, based on your parameters, revenant would also work. Just be aware that the assassin-style build in competitive modes can be difficult to pull off in practice - it requires chaining multiple skills together and can be quite vulnerable to conditions and CCs.

• Confused 1