QoL Request: Ally Targetable Skills

Crey.5263

In February, Water Blast (Ele staff 1 in water) was updated to be able to target allies.  Could we please get this type of update for Winds of Chaos (Mesmer Staff 1) and Siren's Call (Mesmer Trident 1).  I don't think it would be game breaking, but since both of these skills can bounce to allies to provide boons, it would make sense to me that you could target an ally for the initial cast.

• Like 4

I'm guessing the idea wasn't to remove the offensive component to the Skills. 

They have both offensive and supportive aspects.

Right now you can't cast it at allys but it can either bounce to another enemy or an ally. The target determines the effect. 

Likewise if the initial target was an ally they would get the boons but if the initial target was an enemy they would get the conditions.

The Druid staff auto attack can have either an ally or an enemy as it's target and it will heal allies and hurt enemies. It doesn't give up either even though the effects aren't really very big.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, just thinking about it when it was initially released you couldn't target allies for for your auto attack chain, but then druid staff came out, then specter scepter, then they updated water ele staff.  I think it would make sense if this item could start on an ally then follow it's normal bouncing mechanic

19 hours ago, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

I'm guessing the idea wasn't to remove the offensive component to the Skills. 

correct, I still want it to be able to bounce to an enemy, but it should be able to start with ally or enemy

On 6/2/2023 at 11:30 AM, apharma.3741 said:

If winds of chaos healed allies then yes, but it doesn't, it gives some OK boons but nothing classes don't already vomit out.

Why does it have to heal to make this change.  It's a request for a quality of life change, not necessarily a buff.  Ultimately, with Anet devs allowing some skills to target allies on origin, I don't know why this skill that can positively effect allies can't initially target them then bounce to enemies or allies.

On 6/10/2023 at 3:59 PM, Crey.5263 said:

Why does it have to heal to make this change.  It's a request for a quality of life change, not necessarily a buff.  Ultimately, with Anet devs allowing some skills to target allies on origin, I don't know why this skill that can positively effect allies can't initially target them then bounce to enemies or allies.

Because everyone and their mum vomits out might and fury like teenagers at a house party. There is literally no reason to target allies with it, none, no-one is needing the pitiful 1 stack of might and short duration fury badly enough that it needs to be allied targetted.

3 hours ago, apharma.3741 said:

Because everyone and their mum vomits out might and fury like teenagers at a house party. There is literally no reason to target allies with it, none, no-one is needing the pitiful 1 stack of might and short duration fury badly enough that it needs to be allied targetted.

I don't disagree with you that most classes have good access to might and fury. And it isn't a need, i wasn't requesting what would be considered a buff, just more so a quality of life request given the perceived availability.  If you don't want to target an ally that's fine, i'm not suggesting that it must target an ally, just saying if a player wanted to, I would think the other profession changes would suggest it would be possible.  Everything in the game doesn't have to be super optimized to fit the meta... maybe i just want to sit and bounce might and fury to my allies while i wait for a world boss to spawn...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2023 at 10:21 PM, Crey.5263 said:

I don't disagree with you that most classes have good access to might and fury. And it isn't a need, i wasn't requesting what would be considered a buff, just more so a quality of life request given the perceived availability.  If you don't want to target an ally that's fine, i'm not suggesting that it must target an ally, just saying if a player wanted to, I would think the other profession changes would suggest it would be possible.  Everything in the game doesn't have to be super optimized to fit the meta... maybe i just want to sit and bounce might and fury to my allies while i wait for a world boss to spawn...

I get that but it's a "QoL" change that serves little to no purpose. If it healed or gave a super rare boon (does that even exist in today's state of game?) or something that benefits an ally I'd say yes, great, please do. Unfortunately staff just doesn't.

That's without mentioning the elephant in the room, GW2 targeting is hot garbage at the best of times where you often have to rely on select nearest, or next enemy when they're clustered and don't even think about clicking the enemy as half the time you don't get the one you want. I wouldn't want to cast winds of chaos on an ally most of the time but may end up selecting them due to the awful targeting system.

I think the better solution is to ask for a mesmer weapon that does something useful for allies then ask for that to get allied targeting as mesmer support is janky at best.

I for one am hoping that they will untie weapons from elite specs...i don't think it would be game breaking if I could use Axe/Shield on my virtuoso especially with them taking away the block from Bladeturn Requiem.

Edited by Crey.5263