In Defense of Arc Divider Aesthetics

UncouthTRex.4098

I am indeed aware that there's another thread discussing the proposed Arc Divider changes, however most of their discussion centers around whether the DPS is better or worse and if the mechanics are more functional or not.

I'm hitting this from a different angle, much like I do constantly on my Power Berserker Greatsword/Rifle main that I've played for about year as that, and prior as core greatsword/rifle warrior, in largely open-world PVE and WvW. This is all about the feel of the delicious, sweet, murder whirlwind I've come to love more than any other move in the game. 

In the words of the infamous Critical Role Barbarian: "I would like to rage." More than that, I LOVE TO RAGE. I also like going very fast. Which is why in addition to the greatsword movement kit I also have To the Limit, Bull Rush, Signet of Might, Stomp, and Rampage, in addition to the traitline that makes me faster when I hold melee weapons. That's right, I like raging so much, my Asura with a chainsaw rages twice, consecutively sometimes. Aside from when Hundred Blades FORCES me to stay still, I am on the move. And when things get too dicey, I dance away and shotgun people with the rifle, both when I'm berserking or otherwise. It's not optimal, but I love it. It's high octane. I'm happiest when surrounded by the enemy, running directly through crowds as I yell so hard, the earth shakes, then I cut loose with an Arc Divider that hits multiple consecutive times, each time shaking the air around me. I even have flame sigils so my weapons explode more as the gunpowder and chainsaw roar (Greatsaw is best greatsword don't even try and disagree). 

The proposed changes suck the magic out of it. One quick pulse? Yeah, I know it's an AOE, but there's a reason I don't really like Decapitate and don't run Axe builds on my main: the whirlwind feels less like an engine of destruction and more like a "oh my numbers go up as I spin", and the F1 for 'zerking is just a quick chop that barely registers. I only use it when I dip into raids and strikes so I've got something more optimized for my teammates, out of respect for their time. There's no OOMPH to it, nothing that makes you feel like a god of carnage that's feeding on the adrenaline and fear of a horde of foes. I played without the magic of Arc Divider long enough to know I can do it again, but I always felt something was missing with Core greatsword, it never had a good feel despite the class fantasy, and Arc Divider filled that hole so nicely. It lets me be so mobile and creative with my positioning in ways that a single pulse would just feel weak doing, or like a cheap imitation of the bursting Bladesworn was intended to be. 

If you need to change it in PVP or something to make it more competitive, fine, but do it in a way that doesn't complete gut Greatsword Zerker's class fantasy and make it feel like everything else bursty that warrior already has. Bladesworn and Axe already have coup de grace style moves, let us Power Greatsword people have our explosive whirlwind of pulsating doom.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, UncouthTRex.4098 said:

I am indeed aware that there's another thread discussing the proposed Arc Divider changes, however most of their discussion centers around whether the DPS is better or worse and if the mechanics are more functional or not.

There's actually 5, 6 if you include the one in the Professions subforum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

There's actually 5, 6 if you include the one in the Professions subforum.

I've never actually used the forums before aside from google search links for help with bugs etc, this announced change was so concerning I decided to post for the first time ever and assumed the majority of threads on this would be in Professions.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Myror.7521 said:

@UncouthTRex.4098 But Sir. The Arc Divider we have these days was not even meant to be Part of the original Berserker. In fact it was the Version we now will get back that was part of it ^^. However I get that a big fat 3 Spin for win Animation looks ways more satisfying than the new/oldest one will be xd

The original isn't always the best.

That would only be the case with Full Counter and everyone is against it's return.

Current Arc that thang.

@Grand Marshal.4098 but full counter doesn't fit for an example cause the only thing that is different between now and then is just its dmg. I where just straight talking about the animation not just what it is and was able to do. In this case I will love the new one Arc Divider cause I simply prefer a short fast Animation over Spin for win one but im just maybe alone with this 😄

Edited by Myror.7521

2 minutes ago, Myror.7521 said:

@Grand Marshal.4098 but full counter doesn't fit for an example cause the only thing that is different between now and then is just its dmg. I where just straight talking about the animation not just what it is and was able to do. In this case I will love the new one Arc Divider cause I simply prefer a short fast Animation over Spin for win one but im just maybe alone with this 😄

Probably yes.

Other skills require less cast-time, not arc divider. Anet needs to realize. 

Honestly I don't care if they change it for PVP only, from the changes it'd probably be more helpful to do it there.

But don't freaking sacrifice the entire weapon's niche in PVE/WvW for 1 of three game modes, for crying out loud! Making it somewhat more functional in a mode that they've historically ignored in regards to any kind of interesting update (or so the PVPers tell me, I barely touch it and when I do it's my Specter and Spellbreaker who get used) and nuking it from orbit in ALL OTHER MODES is just game design madness. Even then, Bladesworn and Axe already to the "one hit power strike you attempt to spam" in those modes, so it STILL robs Greatsword of its identity even in PVP.

Heck, if they're concerned about the power of it, they could add boonstrip, weakness, or EXTRA vulnerability or, even more fulfilling for the class fantasy, CRIPPLE to the pulses, symbolizing that you're carving into the enemy so hard you're damaging limbs, shattering defenses, breaking weapons etc. Because actual greatswords will take limbs, shatter spears, and make people back the heck up when you swing it in their general direction.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

The original isn't always the best.

That would only be the case with Full Counter and everyone is against it's return.

Current Arc that thang.

I’m not! I fully support a return to POF-launch full counter! I am not biased at all despite maining spellbreaker. 

• Haha 1