Flow of Time (WvW Perspective)

Pie.2167

EDIT: Thread Title really should be Stretched Time (WvW Perspective)

• Stretched Time: This trait has been reworked. Flow of Time affects nearby allies. Grant alacrity to nearby allies when you summon a phantasm.

This proposed change moves alacrity from chronomancer wells and Tides of Time (shield 5) to phantasms, and adds AoE alacrity to shatters.  I know that we do not yet know what the duration or radius of the alacrity on phantasm summon will be, but this is a major nerf to boon strip/support Chronomancer in WvW for the following reasons:

1.  Phantasms require a target, or in the case of Echo of Memory and Deja Vu (shield 4), a block.  Therefore, chrono cannot provide as much group alacrity outside of combat.  Furthermore, phantasms are not in the rotations of most WvW zerg chrono builds and Shield 4 is situational, which leads me to the next point...

2.  Chronomancer will do less CC and boon strips in a zerg because they will no longer have the ~8.5 seconds of alacrity from skills that are in their rotations, such as Gravity Well, Well of Eternity, and in some builds Well of Senility, or from Tides of Time, which consequently means less skill casts of Null Fields, Temporal Curtains, Continuum Splits, Tides of Time, Gravity Wells, etc.

I've heard the mantra of Bring the Player, not the Profession, but this player wants to bring a mesmer, and I am not sure there will be much room in a squad for them in the future as many other specs seem to be able to do healing, boons, DPS, or boon strips better.

Edited by Pie.2167
Clarifying title and AoE on Shatters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

What you're missing is that is the point. 

Players of other classes complain about fighting against Mesmers so CMC is trying to make the players of every other class happy.

Agreed, the nerfs are the symptoms of the core issue: the balance team's bias and favouritism. 

• Like 4

I love playing support mesmer in WvW by throwing around wells, glamours and focus pulls.

Phantasms are useless in a zerg so shifting alacrity to summoning phantasms really stinks.

I also abhor the range nerfs on focus 4 and Null Field. WHY? Anet, please reconsider 😔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Jun.7486 said:

I love playing support mesmer in WvW by throwing around wells, glamours and focus pulls.

Phantasms are useless in a zerg so shifting alacrity to summoning phantasms really stinks.

I also abhor the range nerfs on focus 4 and Null Field. WHY? Anet, please reconsider 😔

Honestly it's depressing to see the chrono going from the class that introduced alacrity to the game to now the worst spec to provide it. 

Sure, Anet might be re-evaluating boon applications (although I highly doubt they are)in pvp/ wvw, but can we keep the only few solutions until the actual problem is addressed? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

No one is talking about the flow of time changes despite it being the thread title (aoe alac on shatter). We don't know how effective this change will be, so complaining about phantasms being the only alac source is madness.

I don't even use wells in my Chrono support build other than grav, so I don't care about alac being gone from those. Shield 4 and focus 5 phantasms now do even more: great change. Shatters now give aoe alac: great change. Can now hold back shield 5 for situational play and not waste it pre-buffing: great change. Range nerfs on core abilities suck, but it's not going to stop me playing.

Don't phantasms now/soon get distortion on summon too?

Edited by Itchyscott.6091
  • Confused 6

10 hours ago, Pie.2167 said:
  • Stretched Time: This trait has been reworked. Flow of Time affects nearby allies. Grant alacrity to nearby allies when you summon a phantasm.

It's in the note: "Flow of Time" is the trait in Chronomancer that grants the caster alac on shatter. The note for Stretched Time says this alac now "affects nearby allies" when you take Stretched time.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Itchyscott.6091 said:

It's in the note: "Flow of Time" is the trait in Chronomancer that grants the caster alac on shatter. The note for Stretched Time says this alac is now shared when you take Stretched time.

Ah, I get it now!  Flow of Time, as in the Minor Master trait which provides alac on Shatter.  Stretched TIme will make this AoE and provide alac on phantasm.   Thanks for clarifying! However, still a major reduction in the amount of personal alacrity a chrono can produce, since we were getting the shatter alac already pre patch.  It will help with party alac, though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pie.2167 said:

However, still a major reduction in the amount of personal alacrity a chrono can produce, since we were getting the shatter alac already pre patch.

It'll feel different, but it wholly depends on how much alac we get from spawning a phantasm. For sure it'll be weighted more towards alac in fights, but the uptime might feel comparable or even potentially better! We just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itchyscott.6091 said:

It'll feel different, but it wholly depends on how much alac we get from spawning a phantasm. For sure it'll be weighted more towards alac in fights, but the uptime might feel comparable or even potentially better! We just have to wait and see.

I know people are expecting 1s boon duration. They think 1s will enable the same uptime as currently without investing in BD in their gear.

What this will do is make it to where anyone could provide 100% Alac just by maintaining a few Wells to now will have to perpetually maintain an absolutely perfect rotation including resetting cooldowns.

If a person presses a wrong button or slows down 1s Alac will drop because each application only provides 1s each. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Itchyscott.6091 said:

No one is talking about the flow of time changes despite it being the thread title (aoe alac on shatter). We don't know how effective this change will be, so complaining about phantasms being the only alac source is madness.

I don't even use wells in my Chrono support build other than grav, so I don't care about alac being gone from those. Shield 4 and focus 5 phantasms now do even more: great change. Shatters now give aoe alac: great change. Can now hold back shield 5 for situational play and not waste it pre-buffing: great change. Range nerfs on core abilities suck, but it's not going to stop me playing.

Don't phantasms now/soon get distortion on summon too?

The people in the Snowcrows discord have calculated out that 1s of duration on the boons would provide more than enough uptime for the maintenance of the boons. That matches with the Boon system GW2 has. The Chrono already only gets 1s of boon duration per clone shattered.

So I don't really expect this to be any different.

But it strikes me that the Shield 4 will only provide 1 second of Alac after channeling for 1.5 seconds. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phokus.8934 said:

Only if you take the updated trait that grants them distortion.

Which may be optimal in zerg settings over Maim the Disillusioned and Phantasmal Haste, and could make Phantasmal Disenchanter viable in boon strip builds.

25 minutes ago, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

But it strikes me that the Shield 4 will only provide 1 second of Alac after channeling for 1.5 seconds. 

The phantasm triggers early if you block, in which case you'll also get a second with Deja Vu.

Excited to see how it plays in zerg combat.

34 minutes ago, Itchyscott.6091 said:

The phantasm triggers early if you block, in which case you'll also get a second with Deja Vu.

Excited to see how it plays in zerg combat.

Sure. But that only happens if you time it with an attack. You only have 1.5 second window to catch an attack assuming your being attacked.

That is really bad unreliability for a build dependent on providing boons.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pie.2167 said:

Which may be optimal in zerg settings over Maim the Disillusioned and Phantasmal Haste, and could make Phantasmal Disenchanter viable in boon strip builds.

Yeah absolutely.  PD becomes a pretty insane pick over something like Veil and using that with the new EA will make it bonkers.  Especially if you were to combo it with Mimic/CSplit.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/19/2023 at 2:48 PM, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

What you're missing is that is the point. 

Players of other classes complain about fighting against Mesmers so CMC is trying to make the players of every other class happy.

Pretty much, plenty of Guild groups and Zerg leaders where running Chronomancer to port players on engagement so this is not going to be as strong. 

Edited by ventress.4879
  • Confused 3