Griffon Enthousiast feedback for your consideration regarding Ley Lines and Updrafts

I have been thinking about this part in your announcement a lot. I know a lot of the masteries we have give automated interactions.

For example: When you are gliding, you hit an updraft and are boosted upwards. When you hit a ley line, you are automatically following it's path.
You can break this interaction by stopping to glide and starting to fall, but you can not "stop" to fly while mounted unless you dismount

Please... not for the Griffon. 

A small look on Youtube quickly learns that one of the most recorded mount interactions in this game are people stunt flying their griffons. I am guilty of that as well.

The last thing we need is having a wonderful flight through (for example) the challenging Tangled Depths, to get ruined by hitting a ley line and letting it automatically take over control of the path we have to follow. Same goes for Updraft.

I am giving you a few ideas to consider:

1. When it is going to be that you can follow a ley line, or use an updraft on a flying mount, please give us a key that we need to press to agree with the interaction. This way, we can ignore it if our flight does not warrant the use of those ley lines.

2. You can also consider for example that a ley line or updraft gives - for the period you are in it - instant recharge on wingflap on griffon or full stamina on a skyscale, instead of an automated boost up or automated flight path.

Whatever your ideas are,  I really hope that you understand the fun and attraction in Griffon Flying, and won't introduce something that can break that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Member of [Wing], totally with you on this one - much of the glory of flying on griffon is the freedom to choose where you go and how you get there. Removing that choice by funneling fliers into updrafts and ley lines will certainly have a negative impact on what makes this mount so special and the fun of free-flying, and render some areas of maps that are currently flyable a lot more difficult to get around in the way the players want.

Very much hoping that you either have to manually choose to interact with updrafts/ley lines or that it's going to be a toggle of sorts so you can have the choice of using the new masteries or not.

• Like 4

Another griffon enthusiast here. Given that I've done a lot of my practice in HoT maps where I can hop between updrafts to regain height and then swap back to griffon to try again, this might get a bit janky unless the velocity of a griffon hitting an updraft doesn't immediately fizzle out like when they get too close to skyscale rifts.

I wouldn't mind if hitting the "pull up" ability while hitting an updraft or leyline interacts with it, but my inner cynic doubts this will be the case.

I get the appeal and my knee-jerk reaction to this was "YAAAS!", but with stunt flying I can see it as being somewhat problematic. At least on HOT/LS3 maps.

• Like 4

Absolutely agree with this.

Really like the idea of "pressing a key to activate", so we can choose if we want to or not.

That, or that the idea that the leyline/updraft isn't instant, but will only activate after you're in it for x amount of time, meaning a griffon zooming by won't be affected, but one slowing down and staying in it will.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 10:58 PM, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Whatever your ideas are,  I really hope that you understand the fun and attraction in Griffon Flying, and won't introduce something that can break that.

I just got my griffon and not that good with it yet so the following suggestion might be of base. The most elegant solution in my head at least seems to be to add another mount ability that gives a very minor speed boost and ignores Leylines and updraft for a couple of seconds. Flavour: You wing flap forward, then thanks to the the push power forward you ignore the draft.

Edited by SlayerXX.7138