Free Legendary Relic Stuff per Legendary Rune: When Does the System Check?

Hey! I saw ANet is giving out free stuff per legendary rune owned in 2024. If we want to take advantage of that free stuff and get a head start to a legendary relic, is it possible that we can start crafting legendary runes now and still get the free stuff? If so, when will the system "lock in" how many legendary runes you have? I kind of want to try to craft 6-7 runes before then so I can get as much of the free stuff as possible.

• Sad 1

Probably never. They didn't mention lowering the cost of the runes, so it would be a permanent thing. Making a legendary relic could be as simple as unlocking all expansion relics and having 7 legendary runes.

If they were going to adjust it however, then it'd lock when they change the bonus on runes; likely with the launch of the expansion.

1 minute ago, Healix.5819 said:

Probably never. They didn't mention lowering the cost of the runes, so it would be a permanent thing. Making a legendary relic could be as simple as unlocking all expansion relics and having 7 legendary runes.

If they were going to adjust it however, then it'd lock when they change the bonus on runes; likely with the launch of the expansion.

I'm guessing the free stuff will be mailed out with the patch that introduces legendary relics, so I'm betting it's a one-time deal.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think that regardless of when you craft legendary runes it'll still count whether that's before SoTO launches or after. It's possible that it might be collection-based like Aurora/Vision/Coalescence, or possibly you're auto-mailed the leggy Relic component(s) each time you craft a new leggy rune.

It's all a little vague though, but those are my guesses. :V

Edited by Caitmonster.9036

2 minutes ago, Caitmonster.9036 said:

I think that regardless of when you craft legendary runes it'll still count whether that's before SoTO launches or after. It's possible that it might be collection-based like Aurora/Vision/Coalescence, or possibly you're auto-mailed the leggy Relic component(s) each time you craft a new leggy rune.

It's all a little vague though, but those are my guesses. :V

Yeah, the big thing is that there's a huge difference between locking it in at SotO launch and, say, Q1 2024. It's the difference of having 1 month or 6+ months to work on getting them.

I don't think they're "locking" anything in at launch. If I had to guess, it will be a retroactive change that applies to everyone who already has them in addition to all those who make them moving forward as well. That's usually Anet's way of handling similar changes, anyway. For example, when Aurora was added in at the tail end of LS3, all those who had certain LS3 achievements already done got progress towards the legendary trinket automatically.

Exotic relics are being implemented at launch, and if I read things correctly we're getting a selection of 3 per toon at release if the toon's over level 60. As someone who already has a full set of legendary runes I'm ok putting up with the exos while I wait for the legendary relic to eventually be added.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Caitmonster.9036 said:

I don't think they're "locking" anything in at launch. If I had to guess, it will be a retroactive change that applies to everyone who already has them in addition to all those who make them moving forward as well. That's usually Anet's way of handling similar changes, anyway. For example, when Aurora was added in at the tail end of LS3, all those who had certain LS3 achievements already done got progress towards the legendary trinket automatically.

Exotic relics are being implemented at launch, and if I read things correctly we're getting a selection of 3 per toon at release if the toon's over level 60. As someone who already has a full set of legendary runes I'm ok putting up with the exos while I wait for the legendary relic to eventually be added.

I don't see it as likely that it'll be standard going forward. One can argue that people who made legendary runes by the time the compensation was sent out didn't know what they were getting into. People who craft them afterward, however, know exactly what they're getting.

They might make it continuous from here on out, but that's the sort of answer I'm trying to get ANet to answer by hoping they see this post.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The only time that I recall they ever did a one-time reimbursement of legendary crafting is when the legendary armory came out. Prior to the armory legendary gear pieces were actual items you passed between your characters and they didn't go into an account-wide pool, so some people had multiple sets of legendary armor/weapons/trinkets, more than the legendary armory would store (IE, maximum of 2 of any legendary 2 handed weapon, 4 maximum of any 1 handed weapon). They handed out legendary boxes that allowed the players to select other legendaries to make up for the dupes they might have had as compensation.

• Like 1

Thinking the Legendary Relic is going to be tied to an achievement like our trinkets and the amulet from the return to.

"Players who have already crafted legendary runes will be compensated with significant progress toward unlocking legendary relics. In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Caitmonster.9036 said:

The only time that I recall they ever did a one-time reimbursement of legendary crafting is when the legendary armory came out. Prior to the armory legendary gear pieces were actual items you passed between your characters and they didn't go into an account-wide pool, so some people had multiple sets of legendary armor/weapons/trinkets, more than the legendary armory would store (IE, maximum of 2 of any legendary 2 handed weapon, 4 maximum of any 1 handed weapon). They handed out legendary boxes that allowed the players to select other legendaries to make up for the dupes they might have had as compensation.

That feels like a similar-enough situation to this.

• Confused 2