Is it ok to use the commander tag when not commanding?

A caution that while you may not care about potentially disappointing others, regular players will come to recognize, and avoid, your tag... the downside is you may not get the turnout you hope for, should you ever actually want people to join you... Probably best to save it for when you want to attract people... But as other says, it's up to you...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

On 7/25/2023 at 6:56 AM, leila.7962 said:

I mean, you can but you shouldn't.. Not only it will confuse players that will be in the same map (because as people said before, tags are usually seen when theres like group events or something major going on), but you may also get some aggression from players that may join and realize that nothing big is actually going on.. People usually expect commanders to lead them and to know how to do things. There's the mentors tag that is "free", people don't expect much from it since it can be used by any player, any time for any reason.

And then there are the mentors who are better than commanders at knowing things like meta events. I use both. I use the commander tag when I'm trying to get a bunch of people on me for an event - often I'm in lfg as well, and the mentor tag when I don't want a squad of people for something that will take little time.

• Sad 1

I prefer to not use my tag unless I am doing something which would benefit from its use in organizing a group. In general displaying a commander tag is an announcement to the map that you are doing something that you want others to be involved with. If you are not doing such you are choosing to mislead others. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 9:36 PM, Borked.6824 said:

Please do.  Way too many people proud about cultish etiquette.  Make some waves.

Logic and normal human behavior has nothing to do with "cultish etiquettes".

@Amberrr.5982 To answer your question: You can but you shouldn't. But people already did explain why. You will confuse many players because it is expected, that the commander does something and takes the lead. This is the whole purpose of this map wide visible tag, signalling "Come over here, stuff is going on" and "follow my lead". Why else would you want to be visible to everyone everywhere?

To answer your second question: Tagging up in a city doesn't really matter because people know there is nothing "big" going on outside of festivals.

Edited by Radiancee.6537
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I see someone with a commander tag, I assume they are doing group activities. But if I have no idea what that group activity is, I don't think anything more about it.

Some folks might have a negative reaction to it, but more likely you might just find yourself attracting random players who will show up wherever you're at and stare at you trying to figure out what the group is for and whether they want to join lol

• Like 1