Toggable Damage Counter??

AuroraSweets.1236

I'm honestly surprised that GW2 doesn't have a damage counter. I know some people probably wouldn't want it but I know a few people that do. It would be nice if arenanet made something that can either be shut off or turned on. Has this been mentioned as a possibility by Arenanet or is it still just something that people are using a third party overlay? I know I saw the previous thread mentioning a 3rd party overlay but I also saw some having issues with it. Makes me not want to bother with the 3rd party. Does Arenanet look at these threads to see player questions about something like this?

Just curious as I personally wouldn't mind something like this.

As you noticed, there are a lot of threads about this, and most of them are made by players complaining that the damage meter ruins their experience, as it creates some toxicity.

The first one has been even closed by a moderator, with no official reply, so ArenaNet is definitely aware of the request. Both positions have their reasons, it is useful in raids for example, and also to understand your level, but it can undoubtedly cause stress to more casual players (that used to be the main focus for ArenaNet).

I guess it's easier to continue with the current state where they allow the use of external DPS meters for people interested in end game contents (unless they are not only log-readers, but create also some personal advantage, as per the ToS), but won't do it officially to avoid that every single player could be potentially looked down and annoyed even for meaningless contents. Afaik, ArenaNet asked to disable arcDPS in PvP for example, and I find it a good decision, as it's a game mode where it would be very easy to insult other players based on their dps. An option to toggle it off/on would be like having it always active for me.

• Like 1

I can understand not having it available during PVP moments. I wouldn't mind having it to see how I'm doing in PVE. I don't really participate in PVP unless it's for a daily and even then it's rare. It's more so to compare how I progress and how I'm doing. I understand where you're coming from in terms of trolls picking on others for their DPS levels. I was more along the lines of thinking of something that tracks just your own, not everyone else's. I've never really been one to care about others DPS or if they're stronger than me. Just want to do better and make sure that I'm doing well to my own standards. I am happy for those that don't want it. I get it. I was just curious is all.

Sorry if it comes off as a little weird. I just got a little nervous dealing with a third party due to issues with past third party programs and not wanting to violate ToS. I am still learning everything being a new player and have been enjoying it immensely.

It's totally understandable wanting to check our own performance without risking to install third party addons. The problem is that they cannot say "this addon is fine" because the addons change and get their updates as well, so they might be safe now, but break the ToS in future. Providing an official DPS meter to check only your performance shouldn't cause any riot in the player-base, but it's not my call and I don't know how really useful would be if you can't really compare it with what the other players do in that same content.

If you don't care about others' dps and want to just check your performance, there is the golem in the special training area: you can see your dps there and use it to try different builds/traits. I wish we could select runes/sigils that we don't have, in the training area (kind of like in the PvP lobby), before spending gold to buy a different sigil just to try it.

They could just add a dps meter for individuals that only lets you see your own damage in raids/strikes/fractals. You say a dps meter introduces toxicity, but in reality failing a boss does and not knowing what the issue is. Its the same with boon uptime btw and just a lazy excuse from anet to not do anything at all. Just imagine the endgame without arc dps: you would need emphasise kp even more in order to make sure everyone knows what they are doing while right now you can give everyone a chance and evaluate a part of their performance via arc dps. Not having a dps meter because someone might get offened in a stupid game about their bad performance is just close minded and doesnt serve the community any purpose.

Edited by Mewone.3247

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly would rather have a DPS meter, from ANET, that keeps track of my own DPS. Like I said in a previous post, and as 2 of the threads that the first commenter shared show, some people wouldn't mind having an individualized DPS meter. If they added a way to keep track say.....showing what you had build wise during that time or an average DPS with what build, I think that would be useful. I don't know if that would be too difficult to add. And for those that have the complaint of it "ruining enjoyment" or "creating toxicity", I honestly think it being individualized and having the ability to decide if it's on or off by checking a box would be very nice. Just my personal opinion on the matter.

• Like 2