8. Into the Obscure story step stuck [Merged]

I submitted a ticket to support (ID 9074049) yesterday at 7:19pm PST and this was the exchange with support:

From Anet Support:

Yesterday at 8:59pm PST

"Hello,

We're sorry to hear that you've experienced an issue when attempting to complete this chapter from the new expansion. We have reported this to our development team, and they are actively investigating this matter. As a mechanic, only one per character can have the item. Additionally, the workaround is either to craft a new motivation or get one off the trading post. Please know that if you restart the story step and have already received the one-time use item, Kamilla won't try to give another; it will just skip over to the "Complete a T2 Rift Hunt" step.

For now, we can only ask for your understanding to wait until the issue is fixed. If you have any other concerns or questions, please let us know.

If you happen to have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get back in touch. We are always here to help our valued players, such as yourself, with whatever issues or problems you may face.

Regards,
Guild Wars 2 Support Team"

My Response:

Yesterday at 10:33pm PST

"I've tried both of the suggested workarounds, and tried restarting the chapter, unfortunately nothing has worked to progress the story.

It does not skip the rift hunt step but rather it stays stuck on the "Take the motivation from Kamilla" no matter what I do. Even completing T2 rifts with a purchased or crafted motivation does not move progression forward.

I don't know if there is something I am not doing that enabled it to skip the rift hunt other than what i have tried so far?"

From Anet Support:

Today at 4:12am PST
"Hi,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you. Unfortunately, the provided workaround was only the possible fix for this issue. If you're still unable to move forward, I'm sorry but we can only ask you to wait for this to be fixed.

You may rest assured that we are actively coordinating with the proper department regarding this matter. For the meantime, we encourage you to keep an eye in our official forums for the latest news and information about game updates: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com 

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,
Guild Wars 2 Support Team"

---

So it appears they have a department working on a solution but there is not ETA as of yet. While I appreciate them responding and not ignoring my ticket entirely it's still disheartening? I may just do the quests chain on an alt at this rate tbh...

Edited by Sylvar.9634
Edited formating for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got to this part, map closed after use and didn't realise you could buy them on the trade market. Set story to chapter 7 then 8.

Acquired one from the trade post after reading a different thread, nothing. Still stuck on this step.

I'm no game designer, but surely the bug fix here (if you're trying to prevent players farming freebies) is get it to skip the step with Kamilla and suggest the player "acquires a motivation [Tier 2]".

How is this still a bug since release?

Edited by Schwartz.3905
Formatted
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same problem here.  I bought motivations forType 2 rifts (expensive!) and it didn't do anything to forward the story.  Not sure if I had to follow the scanner or not because people were just flying from one to another in a large group. I also tried going back to chapter 7, done a few things there and then I went back to chapter 8 and Kamilla is still not responding.  I've also written a ticket.   

On 10/5/2023 at 4:50 PM, Schwartz.3905 said:

How is this still a bug since release?

This is my thought too. I give Anet a lot of slack as far as bugs and fixing them goes, but this one really bothers me. It's a show stopper bug that locks you out of content you paid for. One that was reported on launch day no less.

I'm not losing sleep about it personally because I've already finished the story and it's just an alt that's stuck. But if I were unable to finish the SOTO story on my main character the first time through? I'd be absolutely heartbroken. So I really feel for the people for whom this is the case and I'm vicariously mad on their behalf.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 2:00 AM, Sylvar.9634 said:

Please know that if you restart the story step and have already received the one-time use item, Kamilla won't try to give another; it will just skip over to the "Complete a T2 Rift Hunt" step.

This is untrue. Kamilla will STILL try to give you the motivation and you get stuck on the step 'Take the motivation from Kamilla'.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Nihlus.9724 said:

I'm not losing sleep about it personally because I've already finished the story and it's just an alt that's stuck. But if I were unable to finish the SOTO story on my main character the first time through? I'd be absolutely heartbroken. So I really feel for the people for whom this is the case and I'm vicariously mad on their behalf.

Yeah, I've taken an alt through now and could complete the story on that character, but my main is still stuck...

It's getting ridiculous that this is still a bug. I mean, they could have just made it something you had to craft or buy in the first place, maybe make the get a free one an optional step or something... Honestly, the whole thing feels shoddy, and every time we just keep hoping the issue will get fixed, and than it doesn't...

Not enough people having the issue probably...

The fact that they say that restarting the chapter solves the issue, while that gets you forever stuck on this step without a workaround proves they aren't even aware of the full problem, despite many people telling them.

• Like 1

I have the same issue. It took me a while to noticie it, I was doing many tier 3 events without moving forward. I re-started the chapter but im stuck at the part in which Kamilla has to handle the motivation... This is very dissapointing, I issue the ticked but seeing that many ppl has the same issue without any solution just makes me feel upset. I guess the only good thing is that I wont need to spend more money buying content on a bugged game.

Edited by Enirehtac.1245
  • Thanks 1

I'm having same issue when I'm stuck at

Take the motivation from Kamilla.

and I can't interact with Kamilla and can't progress any further in the story. I tried multiple things like restarting the story or crafting the motivation myself.
I'm open to provide any further informations.

Is there any possible ETA on resolving this issue? as finishing the story is part of special category in Wizard's Vault and we have only 20 days remaing.

Do I have to start doing the story on alt character, which I would like to avoid or will this bug be resolved in the following days so i have time to finish story on my main character and claim my rewards from Wizard's Vault.

• Sad 2

I just started playing this game for the first time about 2 months ago. I fell in love with it and bought the game, Core Tyria, POF, HOT all had amazing stories, great zones, fun events. Even EOD was nice. But holly  kitten, I regret buying SOTO with all my heart. Got bored of the bland story and the annoying map design, stopped at the 8th chapter and started Icebrood saga. Today I come back to SOTO to continue chapter 8, and surprise, can't interact with Kamilla, maybe I offended her somehow. 

To summarize, this expansion doesn't come close to the previous ones, even Core Tyria is more fun, more engaging and has better design than this. The story is missing....close 5 rifts, watch those NPC's talk to each other, close some more rifts. Rinse and repeat. If this what they plan for the future of the game, I was excited for nothing...

Get it together ANET.....what is this?

Edited by Bearpaw.5263

Any update on fixing broken story where Kamilla isn't giving me (and many players) the Motivation device to progress the story? This needs to be addressed first before Inner Nayos new map and story comes out. It's unfair to players being held back, some since August due to this issue. Why don't Anet make only Kamilla's Motivation device account bound to keep people from replaying Chapter 8 over and over just to sell her free Motivation for gold. 

Hi all, this happened to my wife too.

The support did not help. I get that it is in the known issue and probably devs are working on a fix.

I get that it can be a major problem and hard to fix. But is it hard to post an anouncement regarding this problem and letting us know you are working on a fix ?

We paid for the game and we are stuck in the middle of the expac with the only solution is to do the story again on another character. 

So far we try redo the story event and buy the uncommon motivation from the TP but without success. We purpossely make a month long break to let the dev team time to resolve the situation

• Like 2

Same bug happened to me today. Tried all the workarounds I could find. Nothing helped. Submitted a ticket.

I only have one character that I do the story with. Since I'm now hard stuck I won't be able to finish the Wizard's Vault story mission. Is ANet going to compensate me for that because they can't fix a day 1 bug months later??

On 8/23/2023 at 5:24 AM, Kevin.7128 said:

I'm currently stuck at the story step 8. Into the Obscure where I need to use the motivation to enhance the Heart to locate a higher-tier target. I didn't receive the motivation item from Second Hunter Kamilla. 

I have reset this story step before. I think resetting the story step may have bugged the story for me. I reset this story step before because I had another issue where I couldn't progress even if I tried to go, scan, and kill the Tier 2 rifts. 

I have submitted a support ticket also for this.

I have the same problem  😞

• Haha 1

Also running into this issue still after trying all the workarounds. This is frankly very upsetting from ArenaNet--- you said you were "on it" on this bug back in August. Several players cannot progress this story and get to Nayos in the fashion you'd intended without this fix. Please fix this!!

• Sad 1