Mastery path recommendations?

Just starting out (though admittedly now confused as to how to proceed with 'mother of stars' and find rifts), but there's at least a few events around the starting area I can seem to do over and over for experience, but I was starting to wonder what the best path was through those first two masteries? Does it make sense to ping pong (one for you, one for you), or push one up to a certain level then the other to a certain level, then back to the other for a few more, etc (seem to recall PoF was that way with the mounts).

I have the first one in 'Research' and was working on the first one in 'Flight', but wasn't sure if it made sense to ping pong like that or maybe focus on one or the other for the first 3 levels or what?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

though admittedly now confused as to how to proceed with 'mother of stars' and find rifts

Use the Heart of the Obscure skill from the same menu as fishing/skiff/wp (right-click small box beneath weapon swap) or bind a key to it in the options. I think the default bind for your selected mastery skill is J.

14 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

I have the first one in 'Research' and was working on the first one in 'Flight', but wasn't sure if it made sense to ping pong like that or maybe focus on one or the other for the first 3 levels or what?

It's up to you, really. Personally, I like to spread my mastery points fairly evenly between tracks since the first upgrades are so cheap in comparison to later ones. Since the first level of the heart was required for the story I leveled that first, then did two levels in flight training for the skyscale fireballs.

• Like 2

I just got the first one required for story then focused mainly on the skyscale ones cause having extra mobility options is always fun.

Was a bit disappointed on reaching the combat mounting mastery cause I thought it would mean that you can hop on any mount while in combat - instead its skyscale only, and with a 3min cooldown. Though it is mentioned in the mastery's text, I just didn't fully read it. 😞

Updrafts with mounts are dope thou 😄

• Like 2

Thanks folks!

Didn't think of looking at the cost, but that makes sense. I have the first in each now. Thinking I'll get the updraft generator in 'Research' then push 'Flight' through level 4. That would take care of all the 2-3 cost levels, and seemingly give me some more mobility.

Still struggling with the new device and understanding what it's pointing me to. Do you follow the tunnel rain to the point? Does it blip something for me on the map I'm missing? Not really understanding which way to go. 0/100 progress. 😬

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

Do you follow the tunnel rain to the point? Does it blip something for me on the map I'm missing?

Yes to both. Follow the direction the particles travel in to find the rift. Sometimes it also shows up on the map, but I'm not sure exactly what determines that (I think it's supposed to be when a rift is already opened, but I recall times were it didn't show until I was right next to it)
You'll oftentimes have to be quick to get there, since the rifts are closed very fast if a bunch of players are already there!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

Still struggling with the new device and understanding what it's pointing me to. Do you follow the tunnel rain to the point? Does it blip something for me on the map I'm missing? Not really understanding which way to go. 0/100 progress.

With a little bit experience and three dimensional map awarness the direction of the rain shows quite good where the rift will be and if the fastest way to the rift is by using a way point near the rift or by running/flying/gliding. 

1 hour ago, notebene.3190 said:

but I was starting to wonder what the best path was through those first two masteries?

You need "rift guidance" for progressing with the story, so do this first.  After that, because I wanted to use travel fast and use updrafts I unlocked "Enhanced Updrafts" and then "Updraft Generator". After that I unlocked "Ley-Line Acclimation". For me, that was the best way to be as mobile as possible on the map as quickly as possible. 

Next will be "Rising Spirits" and after that "Ley-Loom Operation". After that, I don't know. Because I am not into collecting armor, essences or opening bigger loot chests.

• Like 1