[Suggestion] Remove / Disable Thumbs Down (possibly Thumbs Up)

On one hand down/upvoting offers an alternative to short posts like "I don't agree/like it", "I agree/like it", which, honestly, don't contribute much to the discussion. On other hand it offers one a chance to contribute nothing to the discussion, actively search certain person's threads and posts and repeat their choice there and opposite choice for those that disagree with that person, gang up on someone (profession Vs profession) and ultimately turn this into popularity contest or something similar. And it can happen on both sides. Be it troll/hater or white knight/fan.Looking at this thread, I see a disconnect between down/up numbers OP got and the nature of individual posts. I also think I see a certain logic behind who got more upvotes and who got more downvotes. So I have to wonder "Has this started already?".

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason I imagin to keep this childish (<---and this is just my opinion) system of "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" working is to make happy all those people that need the permanent approval of others for everything they say, or even think. And the possibility of receiving a thumbs down is precisely the least indicated for this type of people.

P.S.: I will get so many "thumbs down" for this comment.

@Pirindolo.9427 said:The only reason I imagin to keep this childish (<---and this is just my opinion) system of "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" working is to make happy all those people that need the permanent approval of others for everything they say, or even think. And the possibility of receiving a thumbs down is precisely the least indicated for this type of people.

P.S.: I will get so many "thumbs down" for this comment.

The use I see it has is to express disapproval for those individuals who seek to shut people down. I've been on the receiving end of infractions due to responding to posters who debate disrespectfully and won't hesitate to hit the report button on people that even hint at treading into the same tone (hmm, I wonder why...). You could say "Just report them," but that is taking way too much effort for people that are nowhere near worth that time, not to mention it's usually not warranted on either end but that won't stop the moderators from deleting a post anyway just to appease those individuals who have a hair-trigger on that report button.

Or those annoying instances where, if someone has a losing argument, they'd sooner bring the whole thread to a close before letting someone try to criticize their posts. If you can still at least express disapproval in those situations, at least some level of freedom can exist in a realm where people can and will try to shut you down. But then this is all considered "negativity" which is wholly untrue. It's only negative to those who hold strong opinions yet are incapable of defending them.

@TheUndefined.1720 said:I think the inclusion of thumbs up / down is just asking for harassment and an easy way to troll individuals. I'm not trying to give a nice cool comfortable place for snowflakes, just that forums are meant to be used for discussion, not a Roman arena to give everyone an option for a popularity vote. Disagreements should be expressed in responses / posts, not with a thumbs icon.

I suggest an alternative 'vote' system be used aside from agree / disagree or thumbs up / thumbs down. Maybe something like, insightful or informative instead of either thumbs up / down.

thumbs up. We are winning. Scrub the thumbs.

@"The Revenant.4970" said:The whiners already won. Gaile closed the other thread on this and said they will be making changes soon.

Move on...maybe even play the game sometime today...Anet doesn't make any money off of forum posts.

It's important to some people, and it's nice to know that Gaile and her team are looking at options. The changes they make may be subtle, so I wouldn't say that any side "won". The closed thread needed to be shut down, having entered a downward spiral. The fact that other threads, including this one, have come up, further speaks to the fact that this is a concern of some magnitude within the community. Personally, I really liked @Rauderi.8706 's suggestion to make a few reaction buttons that are very clear in their purpose while allowing people to quickly express agreement, disagreement or amusement.

Let's wait to see what they announce in the coming days or weeks. Until then, I agree!... let's play the game!

• ArenaNet Staff

If I'm not mistaken, this is actually the fourth thread on this subject. And as anyone can see, opinions vary wildly on the whole idea of reactions, what types we should offer, and the whole nine yards.

This is something we know it a topic of interest and concern for the community, and it's very likely that we will be making changes in the near future. In the meantime, I'm going to close and then merge threads. While we have an official feedback thread here (now) on the GW2 Discussion Subforum, and you're welcome to post your input there, again, we have been tracking these many conversations closely, and posting again on this particular subject isn't necessary.

Thanks.

Archived