How do you access T2+ rifts after story? I'm story blocked currently

So, I did the story step, and it gave me a magic box (whatever it is called).

I consumed it to continue the story, thinking it was a permanent widget, as it said click it again to turn off T2. Like it was a toggle-able item.

Then the map closed. The buff was gone, so I went to click it but the box had vanished.

Do I have to repeat the story?

Edit. I just realized I can't repeat the story, until I finish the story, which I can't do because of this issue.

The quest log just says do a T2 rift. No markers or NPC's mentioned. I think I'm bricked.

Edited by MashMash.1645
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Not sure about the story part, but you can learn to craft the consumables for opening higher tier rifts by learning the relevant masteries (2nd and 3rd masteries in the 3rd mastery line of the expansion). Otherwise you can also just spend time on the 2nd map, people usually call out when they're doing a 2nd or 3rd tier rift - or just chase whichever rift is around and hope someone else has the consumable along to trigger the higher tier ones. If you play at active times, there's always plenty of people around and as more and more reach that point in the story or in gaining the masteries, there will be more around to open those rifts. You get full contribution even if you're not the one that opened it, as far as I'm aware.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Chyro.1462 said:

Not sure about the story part, but you can learn to craft the consumables for opening higher tier rifts by learning the relevant masteries (2nd and 3rd masteries in the 3rd mastery line of the expansion). Otherwise you can also just spend time on the 2nd map, people usually call out when they're doing a 2nd or 3rd tier rift - or just chase whichever rift is around and hope someone else has the consumable along to trigger the higher tier ones. If you play at active times, there's always plenty of people around and as more and more reach that point in the story or in gaining the masteries, there will be more around to open those rifts. You get full contribution even if you're not the one that opened it, as far as I'm aware.

Ah, I see. They should append a note to the quest, as it says nothing else about crafting additional ones. I wonder why it's a toggle item if its a one time use then.

Thank you anyway!

Edited by MashMash.1645
  • Haha 1

Just a final note and feedback.

As noted by other poster, people were advertising in LFG, and I managed to finagle the quest step via them.

I can see future problems though.

1. The bosses are relatively easy to figure out the mechanics wise, but incredibly annoying in smaller groups. Plus you always have some new people (like me ha!) that dont know about the fight.

2. The green circle is quite punishing. I presume it requires a minimum of people to spread damage? Like the ball drop in Drakkar, etc. Does it scale with people or is it a hard cap? Not sure.

3. Unless the loot is better, NO ONE will craft keys for this. It is trash rewards - like most of the loot in these new maps (that needs juicing or some aspirational drops to go for). Or people will do the bare minimum for story / collections then avoid like the plague.

I would suggest what I thought previously - make the item a permanent widget, that you can just have in inventory and toggle as you want. Good for pugging and guilds and stuff.

I could understand the crafting angle if the rewards were lucrative, but they aren't.

I'm all for challenging content - I enjoy my weekly raids, etc - but this seems super annoying.

Also, the buff disappearing sort of screws people.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, MashMash.1645 said:

2. The green circle is quite punishing. I presume it requires a minimum of people to spread damage? Like the ball drop in Drakkar, etc. Does it scale with people or is it a hard cap? Not sure.

The only way I managed to ever reduce amount of damage received by the green circle was to get very far away and/or glide, no idea what is the intent of that mechanic, it does not appear to behave like any other green circle in the game so far.

That was an oversight of the devs I guess. Read about those "movtivations" earlier and had the step where I had to do a T2 rift yesterday and already wondere about what would happen if I lost the item, lost the fight (only 1 player helped at the rift cause meta was up) or something like that. I'd probably have had to reset the story step and trying again. (Might be abusalbe if this is possible - for people to get that free motivation again.)

Other than that they are on the trading post 4 gold or so I think. The uncommon variant for T2 rifts. I'd have prefered if they had made more stuff instanced. Already annoying to grind 3-4 normal rifts when you need to fly a lot around. For some of the previous story steps. (Only sometimes the red circle in mini map showed up and often I had to manually fly and follow the graphical hint from the scan skill.)